Topic: How would you describe your taste in music?

And by that, I don't mean what's your favorite genre of music. That's a relatively simple, straightforward question. Well...that's kind of what I mean, but I'm kind of trying to expand the parameters of the question. What I actually mean is, what do you look for in music? What is it that engages you as a listener, emotionally and/or intellectually? What is your own personal philosophy regarding music?

As for me, I don't think that what I am has really been labelled and pinned down yet, but I would have to describe myself as a 21st Century Rock Neo-Classicist. Mind you, that's not necessarily the same thing as being a classic rock fan, although there is certainly an overlap. Classic rock (by which I mean the Beatles, Led Zeppelin, the Who, etc.) is probably the base or pillar of the neo-classicist's tastes, but I don't adhere strictly to the commercial classic rock "canon." To be a rock neo-classicist is to have a very open and inclusive understanding of what rock music is, or can be. No disrespect to the wit and wisdom of Sammy Hagar, but there is more than one way to rock!

The neo-classicist's personal canon has room for classic rock, progressive rock, heavy metal, glam rock, punk rock, grunge and post-punk/alternative music alike. There may be certain variations in the tastes of individual neo-classicists, however. By way of example, I happen to be a huge fan of Yes, but another neo-classicist might be more into Jethro Tull. I happen to like the early '70s work of David Bowie a great deal, but another neo-classicist might be more into Marc Bolan and T. Rex. On a more contemporary note, two different neo-classicists might both be fans of At The Drive-In, but one might be more into Sparta while the other could be more of a Mars Volta fan (both of course being spinoffs of ATDI).

While I can really only speak for myself, even though your average rock neo-classicist is by definition open-minded about rock music, those such as myself are probably a lot pickier about other contemporary pop-music genres. I have never particularly felt engaged by country music, for example. While I have always had a modicum of respect for the old-school guys like Willie Nelson, Hank Williams Sr. and Johnny Cash, for the most part I find country music to be corny and hokey and I've always felt a visceral twinge of distaste for most of what I currently hear on country stations.

I've never particularly felt engaged by rap or hip-hop music, either. While certain (mostly older) rap artists are certainly capable of putting intelligent social commentary into their lyrics and I can certainly appreciate their skills as wordsmiths, I've never ever gotten into rap on a purely, abstractly musical level. It seems to me that rap is a more rhythmically driven style. The beat always feels mechanical to me and whatever musical backing there is always feels rather arbitrary and rudimentary.

I've never ever really liked much of modern dance, techno or house music, either. As with rap, the beat feels far too mechanical for my taste, and I have a certain ethical qualm about the idea of great masses and crowds of people dancing to what is in essence an automated, mechanical pulse. To me, there is just something rather too queasily dystopian about modern dance music in general.

Re: How would you describe your taste in music?

I will post on this tomorrow when I am sober lol.;):P

this is a really deep thread... as most of yours are Darth... but i dont know exaclty how to classify myself. i pretty mcuh completely agree with all of your musical tastes, ie. the classic rock, alternative, punk, heavy metal, etc. and that is mostly what i listent to. whicl i also listen to older country, like u said johnny Cash etc... but iv found a few modern country song i have liked as well. as for rap, i never really got much into it, though i do love Insane Clown Posse, Twizded, Public Enemy and other older rap artists. i find hat most modern rap is annoing (not in form of rythem, which i find to be really cool) but in terms of lyrics, they seem to be mostly pointless lyrics... like the song "This is Why I'm Hot". but one musical genera you didnt mention, is Reggae. i am a huge fan of reggae music, espically Bob Marley. i find it much more enjoiable than rap, though it is very similar. i think that is because of the rythem used isnt very mechanical (as you call it), it is more of a flowing, easy to move to beat.

well it all depends on my mood. i'm into 80's metal mostly but i do like old rock, like Elvis Presley and Beatles. i listen to soothing music like that when i want to relax and unwind, or when i'm studying. when i'm hyper, or working out, i like to listen to fast-paced, loud music because it gives me energy. i also like to listen to music you can dance to, not ballroom dancing, just like DDR type, i dont know how to explain it. so when i feel like dancing i put on some techno music, or hiphop.
if i'm just bored, i put my iPod on shuffle and listen to whater i have on there

Hard rock, all genres of metal, emo, punk, ska, old country (Willie Nelson, Hank Jr.), 80's rock & pop, industrial, classical, opera. I like them all but by far my favorite would be the really deep dark head banging metal. The kind you have to bang your head when you hear.  With kick ass guitar and dark lyrics.

i cant describe my taste .... I love all kinds of music , but I really love Mike Patton and everything he does , so if u know who he is and the type of music he creates then thats my taste !!!
http://i70.photobucket.com/albums/i95/edogg2012/mike.jpg

Hey eDogg.... You want it all but you can't have it.  It's in your face but you can't grab it.  And who can forget... That's why I'm easy ah ah ah ah I'm easy like Sunday morning.

Brilliant man!

The Epitome of Fear wrote:

Hey eDogg.... You want it all but you can't have it.  It's in your face but you can't grab it.  And who can forget... That's why I'm easy ah ah ah ah I'm easy like Sunday morning.

Brilliant man!

fuk yes !! excellent stuff !!! although they played epic to death. If you liked that , u should hear some of his new shit like Tomahawk , Fantomas & Peeping Tom.:cool:. Once again I cant define my musical taste in words but anthor band I fukin love is TOOL !!!

http://i70.photobucket.com/albums/i95/edogg2012/maynard.jpg

Filter, KoRn, Deftones and anybody from Battle Axe Records.

eDogg2012 wrote:
The Epitome of Fear wrote:

Brilliant man!

fuk yes !! excellent stuff !!! although they played epic to death. If you liked that , u should hear some of his new shit like Tomahawk , Fantomas & Peeping Tom.:cool:. Once again I cant define my musical taste in words but anthor band I fukin love is TOOL !!!

http://i70.photobucket.com/albums/i95/e … aynard.jpg

thank you I will check those out.  i always loved their wild ass videos too.

i cut my teeth on punk rock but if i have to describe my taste....growing.

Woah, deep thoughts. It seems horror fans in general steer away from mainstream music, but hey, I guess we're just not mainstream people! Personnaly, I enjoy heavy music, but I mostly enjoy a good melody, spooky atmosphere or good horror themed lyrics. Good guitar harmonies or killer riffs get to me. I mostly like heavy metal, but also classic rock, punk, stoner and rock n roll. I am a huge music fan, I'd even say I'm more of a music fan than a movie fan. I've got almost 2000 cd's, In lots of genres. But my all-time favorite is Alice Cooper. I guess no one saw that one coming, with the avatar and all... wink

Mike Patton rules.  If you're a fan of his, you need at least one listen to Bjork's Medulla album, it's completely vocal, and he's a guest.

My taste is completely ecclectic.  I like anything but country.  Intelligent lyrics are a plus, but not necessary.  I LOVE off-beat beats, i.e. Reznor and Timbaland.  Any band with a standout musician is worth a listen... White Stripes, Metallica, Killers (drummer is awesome), Muse.

Constantce wrote:

My taste is completely ecclectic.

I would say that statement applies to me.  Just today I've listened to New Age, Classical and right now Pink Floyd (The Wall).  I have music from everything.  Not a big fan of Country or Hip Hop although there are even a few there that I like.

I don't fit into anyone's box...

I'm pretty picky when it comes to music.  Not a big fan of mainstream crap.

80's punk, 80's hair metal, ska, and horror punk.  That's about it.

Enigma, Zdob si Zdub and NOX.

PINK FLOYD!!! nuff said!

Hmmmmm, kazoos are kewl to play cool I like to expand on what I listen too, I LOVE to find something I never knew existed. My base music taste is 70's Rock, I also like Classical. I HATE elevator music. The new alternative rock is interesting, Hard rock stimulates me, Zombie, Soil, Symphforce.
Right now I am exploring the edges of Industrial/Ambient/Experimental like..Dead Factory
http://profile.myspace.com/index.cfm?fu … =110399022
I am moody with my music, certain music for certain times/feelings I guess. I love it all.

The Melvins , Dog Fashion Disco , The Mars Volta , Pantera , Isis and A.I.C ... some more of my favs  big_smile