Topic: Double Dip? Yea or Nea?

The problem that has plagued many.  Studios releasing a single disc DVD and no word is given if there will be an extended cut or a DVD with more special features.

So, do you double dip my friends?

Re: Double Dip? Yea or Nea?

If the DVD offers something really different I will double dip. One example is Evil Dead when I bought the Book of the Dead version.

I put no because so far I have not double dipped.  There are a lot more movies I need to get but I think I could easily end up double dipping in the future.

Does this include upgrading the old VHS tapes? I threw out most of my collection last month... couldn't ever see myself watching them again. I wonder how long it's gonna be before I end up pitching my dvds in favour of some holographic or purple ray super dvd format. yikes

Na just DVDs.  Upgrade from VHS is a given.

Only VHS I have bought within the last several years was The Keep back in August since it has never been released on DVD.

great thread. this came up in last nights podcast which will probly be released tonight or tomorrow.

I put no because, like TiM, I have yet to do so. Most of the DVD's I own are special edition/extended, simply because it seems like everytime I want to buy a DVD, the special edition is already out.

Thanks Meh...can't wait to hear it.

For me when I got Saw the unrated cut was already out so in that case I waited for Saw 2.  Other times like for Zombi 2 I already had the Blue Underground edition but then bought the Shriek Show version because of its special features.  King Kong I know I'll be DD on. 

My non double dips are usually comedies, dramas, war etc.  I like them but I'm unwilling to shovel out another $20-$30 for a new DVD when its usually the same as my old but 10 minute featurette slapped on.

I buy one and its the first one released

i dont "buy" dvds

It depends on the movie. I have DD many times. I buy the DVD then an unrated,  uncut version is released.
If it's a movie that I think is great and/or if some good gore scenes were cut from the first DVD I have, I will.

Vander wrote:

i dont "buy" dvds

Then what do you do?

Yeah, I dont think I get it either Vander.

I changed a bit.  I know I'm going to double dip.  For instance, I believe I am the only person who owns The Devils Rejects Directors Cut and not the two disc edition.  I will be pickin' up the two disc edition asap.

Last edited by TiM the Zombie (2006-10-04 22:20:05)

Ummm....run that by me again?

Thought there was only the 2 disc unrated cut

Last edited by thegoldensimatar (2006-10-04 22:28:42)

Some movies do deserve an extended cut, others don't. "Underworld" is 2 hours long and though it was a cool flick, the extended version makes it an overlong affair with 15 minutes added. The horror bomb "Stay Alive" was given an unrated version with about 15 minutes added as well. That movie totally sucked, though, so I won't be seeing it again.

Depends on the film for me

I will only if it is an absolutely amazing DVD like TCSM.

Well, I DD when the new release has better features for the film itself (anamorphic, DTS, etc.), usually I don't bother going for the "extras" and commentary.

It simple you just buy the 1st edition and when a better 1 cums along u just sell the shitter 1 and buy the better 1.

Just stepped on my Devil's Rejects case and it cracked.  So, chances are I'll be pickin' up another copy.  Good thing to because its about time I got the double disc edition.

For me, it always depends on the movie, but there are too many dvd versions of your favortie movies.

Vander wrote:

i dont "buy" dvds

what do you do ??I'm VERY interested smile

I get the first version when it comes out and when a better one comes out I get it and trade the first version online....

i only really would DD if it had major extended scenes, or was a great film. I own all the copies of Army of Darkness for example.

Never DD unless the extra footage that was cut from thearter release was
worth buying  i.e. "Director's Cut", with more than just a few spliced scenes!!