Topic: The Stendhal Syndrome(1996)

This is not one of Dario Argento's best works by any means by I still enjoy watching the Stendhal Syndrome from time to time. It came out in 1996 and stars Arengto's daughter Asia Argento as an undercover cop who is tracking down a rapist and she herself gets caught up in his games and becomes one of his victims. But she gets her revenge on him big time and the she herself has become like he is in his sick ways and drives her insane.

I thought it was an okay film. It's not gory of anything like that except for maybe 2 scenes in it. The film is kinda long, about 2 hours long and is drawn out in some parts.

The character Asia plays is Detective Anna Manni which is also the same character used in Argento's The Card Player but was played by another actress.

Re: The Stendhal Syndrome(1996)

yeah I didn't like this one very much at all .......although I do love Asia big_smile , I liked her way way better doing a type of character like she played in "Trauma" ! In this movie she started being a sort of bad ass ..... and it seems like shes been playing that character ever since sad .   Oh well this movie is just not very scarey and way to long imo !  wink

This is actually one of my favorite Argento flicks, right behind Tenebrae and Opera.  I have a thing about obscure delusional conditions (Stendhal Syndrome, Capgras Syndrome, Cotard Delusion...I could go on) and when I heard about this flick I couldn't help but want to take a look.

I liked that it wasn't the usual Argento "style" -- likely because it was based on a book, someone else's work -- and I liked that he had a more complex central character than pretty much any other movie he's made.  The violent bits were more jarring than his usual (though the killer's reflection on the bullet fired through the victim's cheek is classic Dario) and I appreciated that despite this being the first Argento flick to incorporate CGI effects, he didn't go overboard and used them sparingly.

I know not a lot of die-hard Argento fans dig this one very much, but I think it's one of his better films.

Glad to see that you liked it too Loud.:cool:

I haven't seen this in awhile and watched it again recently. The english dubbing isn't all that, mainly for the women. One woman who is getting strangled to death sounds like a baby screaming. And another thing Asia isn't a very convincing cop. I think it's just a mediocre Argento flick.

DemonToSome wrote:

I haven't seen this in awhile and watched it again recently. The english dubbing isn't all that, mainly for the women. One woman who is getting strangled to death sounds like a baby screaming. And another thing Asia isn't a very convincing cop. I think it's just a mediocre Argento flick.

Yeah but I liked when Asia was saying "You wanna fuck me.....c'mon and fuck me"........I would have thrown my clothes off right then and jumped her if she said that to me......Yee Haw!!!!!:lol:

I think it's way underated. If people forgot that it was Argento they would have liked it much better. They did not appreciate the change of style at that time. I do, although I agree its about 10 min. too long. Even so, the film did influence other filmakers, you might remember the pov shot of the bullet going through flesh: copied in Three Kings and other movies. She wasn't supposed to be a good cop in the film, but a rehab project with a patient boss and was convincing in portraying the trauma she was experiencing. Not his best but better than anything he has done in years, probably since Opera.

never got around to seeing this one hmm

fredgarvin wrote:

Not his best but better than anything he has done in years, probably since Opera.

I actually disagree. I thought his return to giallo a few years back with the slasher film Sleepless was a cool ass film and wayyyyy better than Stendhal.

Have you seen Sleepless yet? It's very good and has good gory kills in it like his old days. He also did very well in the MoH short called Pelts.;)

I think Nonhosonno (Sleepless) is better than The Stendhal Syndrome too.

I need to see this movie, I've seen it at the store a couple times but never got around to picking it up.  I can't wait to get the steelbook that's coming out next month with Tenebrae and Phenomena.

I really didn't like any of his newer stuff, so I never bothered with this one either. Not ta sound biased

I liked the kill set pieces in sleepless but felt it was a poor story effort, like a hack copying Argento. I liked it though.