Topic: Is Kairo (Pulse) Japanese horror movie any good?

I'm questioning whether or not to see it. But it interests me, because the Director kind of
themed around what death is and what it would feel like, or something like that.

Did anybody like this movie, if so, why?

Re: Is Kairo (Pulse) Japanese horror movie any good?

I have both Kairo the asian film and the american film Pulse on dvds. Kairo was better in the ghost effects and creepiness but I enjoyed the characters better in the american version. Overall out of the 2 films Kairo was a better film for me.

I think Kairo is a great film with a creepy atmosphere. I also have the new Pulse film, but haven't watched it yet.

i've only seen the new Pulse movie

I actually like Kairo a little more than the american version to Pulse. If you want the more strange and creepiness that will make you jump, definitely go with Kairo. It just has that more scare factor to it than the american version. If i had to choose between Kairo and american version Pulse, i would definitely choose Kairo.

I think this movie is trying to capture the essence of what a suicidal person might feel or think, maybe, this is a theme of the movie, but probably not well conceived.

But a lot of people keep mentioning that it talks about loneliness and a pointless existence, much like the life's of ghost's.

So, the director was either trying to display this in the ghost's stand-point, or through the people in the movie, or the atmosphere.

Not sure, haven't seen it yet, I'm just guessing that it might be a theme in some way or form.

There's no slitting of the wrist's in this movie, is there?

Last edited by jbeannie (2007-10-11 12:30:15)

jbeannie wrote:

There's no slitting of the wrist's in this movie, is there?

Not that I recall. There's only a hanging.

Awesome, slitting of the wrist give's me the chill's.

And I think the moral of this movie is
don't kill yourself, even in times of loneliness, basically suicidal thought's, just ignore them.

Eh.. I didn't really dig Kairo and I didn't even bother to see the remake.. I'm actually a pretty big fan of Asian cinema despite some of my recent comments heh.. But this one just came off as entirely to weird. Like the director was trying his best to make it creepy I think in the end he tried to hard..

The only part that was creepy to me was the scene when the girl jumps from the water tower. That was fantastic. Reminded me of The Omen when Damien's babysitter hung herself during his b-day party. Just leaves you on edge. But as a whole the film just didn't click for me..

Yeah I didnt really like either one all that much

I have this on queue to watch, and I admit that the varying reviews on this topic have made me more interested b/c now I don't know what the heck to expect.

I frickin' loved this movie, the whole movie I don't think is supposed to be creepy,
it's just supposed to make you think about the story, so, basically the story is about
people who are suicidal, don't know they are suicidal, so, it's like life sometime's your happy, sometime's your not.

And even though you think that person is normal they might change at any second,
so, it's even saying that no one need's a reason to kill themselve's, they just do.

Also the story talk's about what the Director think's ghost's are, are they like us, do they move slowly or fast.

So, he's saying once a person is miserable, they are like a walking dead person, like a ghost.

Does that make sense?

You see only two people were normal in that movie, but that doesn't mean, that they don't know people, who might just off themselve's at any moment.

So, then begins the theory in the movie, if ghost's are like us when we are miserable,
then do they get closer to us, when they are closer, or less closer when they are farther apart from us.

It also talk's about the ghost's trying to communicate to people through something like a computer, a cell phone, like that one guy talk's about and explain's in the movie.

Also the Director wonder's if the ghosts are a repetition, which is why that one guy whose a ghost keep's repeating word's, and then static, then the ghost say's word's again, like a repetition, like walking is a repetition, but the ghost's walk slow in a repetition.

The red tape also symbolizes something bad or perhaps someone died in that room, and when a person kills themselves in a room, a ghost is forever attached to that room, unless maybe it connects to something else, like a computer or a phone.

Then the director wonder's if ghost's are slow walking dead people, and that perhap's we can see them, any ghost that you see, doesn't walk fast, but you can see them.

Then perhap's another theory in the movie is when the girl say's the ghost's don't want to be alone, that make's them cold, not in common terms, but it is explained through that girl.

Meaning that the ghost's might kill people at random time's, because they don't want to be alone, and that ghost went somewhere, and now that ghost is lonely.

If there's anything you don't get about this movie, just ask me.

Goon wrote:

The only part that was creepy to me was the scene when the girl jumps from the water tower. That was fantastic. Reminded me of The Omen when Damien's babysitter hung herself during his b-day party. Just leaves you on edge.

yeah that was a great scene , also the airplane crashing was cool , its like no one is safe anywhere ... the end of humanity big_smile !!

Yeah that girl jumping was a trippy effect. Man it looked real.

I agree, it did look real.