Topic: Tomie asian film series

Okay I always see these films titled Tomie at Best Buy but never bought any of them.

Are they any good? I know there are several films in the series but which of them should I start out watching first cause I know nothing about them and do I need to see the first one to understand say like what's going on in part 3 or what?

Any advice would be great!

Re: Tomie asian film series

I've bought five of them (which, at the time, was all of them, don't know if they've come out with more) and thought they were ho-hum.  My favorites were the first and forth ones.  You definitely don't need to see them in order as it's really just the same story retold in different ways.

I'd at least give the first one a rent (or buy, if you don't rent movies like me).

Re: Tomie asian film series

DrChannard wrote:

I've bought five of them (which, at the time, was all of them, don't know if they've come out with more) and thought they were ho-hum.  My favorites were the first and forth ones.  You definitely don't need to see them in order as it's really just the same story retold in different ways.

I'd at least give the first one a rent (or buy, if you don't rent movies like me).

What are the titles of the Tomie films in order so I know which one is the original and which was is part 4?

Re: Tomie asian film series

RIP wrote:
DrChannard wrote:

I've bought five of them (which, at the time, was all of them, don't know if they've come out with more) and thought they were ho-hum.  My favorites were the first and forth ones.  You definitely don't need to see them in order as it's really just the same story retold in different ways.

I'd at least give the first one a rent (or buy, if you don't rent movies like me).

What are the titles of the Tomie films in order so I know which one is the original and which was is part 4?

I believe the order goes:

Tomie
Tomie: Replay
Tomie: Re-birth
Tomie: Another Face
Tomie: Forbidden Fruit

That's at least the order they were released on DVD.

A warning about the forth one.  The quality of film is very poor and it almost seems like they were using cheap hand held video cameras to film this one.  However, it's my favorite one as the stories are quicker and more interesting than the previous ones.

Also, don't expect a lot of gore with these movies.

Re: Tomie asian film series

Thanks Dr for the cool info.:D

Re: Tomie asian film series

Anytime bud. smile

Re: Tomie asian film series

Yea they are worth renting but I'm not sure if you would want to buy them.. They are OK like it was said above.. Decent flicks but they get into that weird Japanese area in some parts of some of the films..

Re: Tomie asian film series

I will check out at least the first one then. I guess it's more like a ghost story like Ju-On or Ju-Rei.

Re: Tomie asian film series

No its not a ghost story.. Its this really old legend about this girl who cannot die and has this hypnotic stare.. Some of them like I said are decent.. She gets these guys to fall in love with her and then kill people.. Weird stuff.

Its been awhile so I don't remember which is which but I think the first one is safe bet to get a taste of what the others are like..

Re: Tomie asian film series

Personally, I didn't like the first movie. I tried watching it with a friend and could only stand the first thirty minutes or so. Maybe I should have given it a better chance, but it wasn't scary (IMO) and way too slow for my taste.

I would rent it if you are interested instead of buying.

Re: Tomie asian film series

RIP wrote:

I will check out at least the first one then. I guess it's more like a ghost story like Ju-On or Ju-Rei.

I have Tomie , the first one. Its pretty cool , yeah its a little slow but its pretty fuked up . I haven't seen any of the others so I can't really give u an opinion on those  ... big_smile

Re: Tomie asian film series

There's 7 Tomie DVDs so far, with another on the way - TOMIE X TOMIE!

(1998) TOMIE
(1999) TOMIE - ANOTHER FACE
(2000) TOMIE - REPLAY
(2001) TOMIE - REBIRTH
(2002) TOMIE - FORBIDDEN FRUIT
(2005) TOMIE - REVENGE
(2005) TOMIE - BEGINNING

The original manga stories about Tomie have already been translated and published a couple of times in the US. They can currently be found under the title MUSEUM OF TERROR - the original writer/artist who invented TOMIE is Junji Ito.

13

Re: Tomie asian film series

Sadako wrote:

There's 7 Tomie DVDs so far, with another on the way - TOMIE X TOMIE!

(1998) TOMIE
(1999) TOMIE - ANOTHER FACE
(2000) TOMIE - REPLAY
(2001) TOMIE - REBIRTH
(2002) TOMIE - FORBIDDEN FRUIT
(2005) TOMIE - REVENGE
(2005) TOMIE - BEGINNING

The original manga stories about Tomie have already been translated and published a couple of times in the US. They can currently be found under the title MUSEUM OF TERROR - the original writer/artist who invented TOMIE is Junji Ito.

Which is the best one and do I have to watch them in order to undertsand them?:/

Re: Tomie asian film series

The first TOMIE is atmospheric, but rather slow.

I think the best of the series is TOMIE: REBIRTH, which is directed by Takashi Shimizu (JU-ON, THE GRUDGE). It's not really a series - each film is a stand-alone story.