Topic: Escape from New York- remake info

Here's what Kurt Russell had to say: “My personal take on it is that it’s 2007 and I’m doing ‘Grindhouse.’ That was twenty seven years ago. God, I don’t even think about it. It doesn’t register. It’s like, ‘Whatever.’ They did some Disney movies that I did, they remade some of those. They did ‘Stargate’ which turned into the longest running sci-fi television show of all time. They took ‘Backdraft’ and turned it into two different television series on TV. They’re going to redo ‘The Thing.’ They’re going to do a remake of ‘Escape from New York’ and I’m sure that they’ll remake some other movies that I’m done. Whatever.â€
So it appears the idea of a remake doesn't bother Russell at all.

NEW LINE cinema won what turned out to be a heated bidding war on the rights to remake the classic film.
Gerard Butler will play Snake Plissken, the one-eyed convict who must rescue the President of the United States from an inescapable maximum security prison formerly known as Manhattan...aka New York City. The film was set in a dystopian then-future 1997 where the crime rate had risen like 300% and they turned the entire city into one big maximum security prison for the US. Kurt Russell played Snake in the original movie.

Black Hawk Down screenwriter Ken Nolan is attached to write the screenplay. John Carpenter will server as one of the executive producers.
Well at least Carpenter has some part of this project.

Re: Escape from New York- remake info

any word on who will direct? they have some good talent in place so far, so i'm gonna wait and see on this one.

Len Wiseman is the rumored choice. I believe he did the Underworld films and he may actually be married to Kte Bekinsale from those films....probably stick her in the film at some point (maybe as Maggie?)

Doing a little digging, yes they are married and Wiseman also directed the last DIE HARD film with Bruce Willis...Live Free or Die Hard...haven't seen that one.

How could they remake this movie? It is sad that movies that have already have made their mark in the movie industry have to under go this torture. I do however have to admit some remakes do justice to the original, in very rare cases are better than the original. Although, Escape from New York is a great movie, it will be interesting to see if they do bastardize this movie or do it justice in some manor though.

len wiseman was removed from the project, was posted as news here but fo rthe life of me i cant remember who replaced him lol. Try a quick search of the news for more.

brett ratner is now directing found it for you...
http://www.horror-movies.ca/horror_9447.html

I like Gerard Butler, but I can't see anyone but Kurt Russell in this role.  His recent interview in Rue Morgue (regarding The Thing) was awesome.  He's clearly passionate about his roles.

I'll be on the fence about this til I see some trailers/footage.

It's really hard to imagine anyone but Russell as Snake.

absolutely agree.