Topic: No Country for Old Men

In case you havent heard of it, No Country for Old Men is a new crime drama/thriller from writer/directors Joel & Ethan Coen.  It looks absolutely fantastic and is in very limited release right now.  Been seeing nothing but RAVE reviews for it.  It is playing at a small theater here in chicago so I hope to catch it in the next week or two.  It is based on a novel by Cormac McCarthy who is a GREAT writer.  If only they would adapt his book Blood Meridian I would DIE!

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2WqpMp4cQnQ[/youtube]

Re: No Country for Old Men

The trailer I saw last month looked interesting.  It may be worth going out to the cineplex, who knows?

Last edited by algee (2007-11-13 11:16:21)

Ive heard great things....I was gonna go out and se it today.....but I just remembered that the AfterDark horrorfest is currently going on and it IS playing here in chicago(I didnt see the theater listed until now) so I may just go see some AfterDark stuff instead.

I saw Leonard Maltin talking about this flick on TV the other night.  I was already interested in seeing it as I'm a fan of Josh Brolin and Javier Bardem, but Maltin drooling over it cemented it for me.  It's only receiving a limited release but hopefully it'll play somewhere near Louisville.

"blood simple" is one of my favorites from them. everything about this movie looks good and i hope to see it playing around here soon.

Not just Maltin giving it rave reviews Lon, Everyone seems to be high on this film, including Roger Ebert who gave it a 4/4 and wrote a damn good review.  If you go to IMDB it is already averaging a 9.0 and is in the top 150 films on there!  I know people dont think those are too accurate but thats a pretty damn high number to ignore.....

And Lon, since you are a fan of Javier Bardem here is what movies.com had to say about him:

Bardem, as the man with the odd, long, bowl-cut/pageboy hair and a powerful air compressor that a lesser murderer might give a cute nickname to, is the single most chilling human being to inhabit a movie about death in Texas since Leatherface. This is the guy you fear will be standing over your bed when you wake up in the middle of the night.

The critic over at movies.com also had this comment which intrigued the hell out of me:

This is the most unstoppably grim and tense movie the Coen brothers have ever made. It's full of long, deadpan silences and longer stretches of breath-stopping suspense, all without the normal cues movies that call themselves "thrillers" usually throw at you to soften the blow of the violence and the fear. It's scarier than all the self-proclaimed horror movies I've seen all year and better-looking than most of the "art films" I've seen, too.

That last line sold me.  I definately am gonna check this out next week most likely.

I've only seen Maltin's comments on the film, and he mentioned that there is no musical score to the film, which is a brave thing for a filmmaker to do and something I've not seen from a film in a long time.  They're also saying this is, hands down, Tommy Lee Jones' best film performance, and that he was born to play this part.  Jones is a stupendous actor anyway (despite the occasional bad choice of roles) so I can only imagine how good he must be in this flick.

I've seen a couple clips and both Jones and Bardem have me seriously jazzed over this puppy.  I absolutely cannot wait to see it -- I'm more excited for this one now than I am for Iron Man, which I've already shot at least a couple wads over on this very board.:lol:

Last edited by LoudLon (2007-11-13 14:29:30)

I actually been seeing quit a bit of the trailers for this movie within this past weekend and i gotta say it did catch my interest in really wanting to see this movie. I love how the feel and look it has. I don't know when. But eventually i'll be seeing it for damn sure.

Definitely will be catching this one in the theaters when it gets a wider release.

Saw this last night.....it was fuckin awesome!

Man.............i really wanna see this movie now!!! big_smile
i have only seen Millers Crossing, Fargo, and the Big Lebowski and of those it would be a toss up between Fargo and Millers Crossing

Last edited by ChainSaW80 (2007-11-27 14:33:06)

A few words of wisdom: this filmis very character and dialog driven.  There are some parts that slow down but its all about build-up of the characters and their emotions. 

Javier Bardem is fuckin intense.  The hair cut mixed with his facial expressions make him insane looking at times. 

I actually like the no music in the movie.  Everything is sound.  The wind, crunching of dirt, creaks of floorboards.  It kept me on edge during the intense moments because you can hear everything.

jmh314 wrote:

A few words of wisdom: this filmis very character and dialog driven.  There are some parts that slow down but its all about build-up of the characters and their emotions. 

Javier Bardem is fuckin intense.  The hair cut mixed with his facial expressions make him insane looking at times. 

I actually like the no music in the movie.  Everything is sound.  The wind, crunching of dirt, creaks of floorboards.  It kept me on edge during the intense moments because you can hear everything.

I also just got back from this, and I wish I had read your post prior to seeing it, I wasn't prepared for the dialogue and found myself spacing out at vital moments.  This movie falls into the "Great Films that Piss me OFF!!" category....I was really pleased with Bardem's performance, not to mention the over tense feeling the film had.  Woody Harrelson's character was awesome as well....and I've yet to see a bad Josh Brolin performance.  I was let down by a few key parts though....I take that back, I wasn't let down, I just wasn't expecting what had happened.  I am going to read the book now, I have some questions I need answered...overall I give it a 9/10.

jmh314 wrote:

Saw this last night.....it was fuckin awesome!

ooooooh..now I am interested.

Great Films that Piss You Off DBHK?  What else is on that list?  lol

Yeah I can understand how No Country can piss people off.  It is so dialog heavy that you really have to pay attention so you dont miss something important.  But I think it is done in a good way and really helped lead everything in to one great manhunt.

jmh314 wrote:

Great Films that Piss You Off DBHK?  What else is on that list?  lol

Yeah I can understand how No Country can piss people off.  It is so dialog heavy that you really have to pay attention so you dont miss something important.  But I think it is done in a good way and really helped lead everything in to one great manhunt.

The Dialog didn't piss me off, I love movies like that, it's just what happened in the movie that got underneath my skin....I didn't like how it was shown and how some events played out.

Other films on that list are:

The Departed
To Live and Die in LA
Carlito's Way
Alien

To give you a justifiable reason, I don't like seeing badass characters being killed off, The Departed...well, Leo didn't deserve to get iced, as did William Petersen in To Live and Die in LA, same with Carlito's Way....and in Alien, I was pissed to high hell when Dallas (Tom Skerrit) got killed in the vent shaft.  The Departed might get off that list because of what Mark Walhberg did in the last scene...

Last edited by DeathbyHighKick (2007-12-09 21:15:41)

^ oh dude i hated that part in Alien also....but i love that movie! anyways.......

i just watched this today and i was pretty impressed i can't wait to see it again at home tho because our experience at the theater wassent the best.......they have very uncomfortable seating and there were a ton of old folks there, and they let it be known they dident like this movie.  I give it a 8/10

I really like this movie.  There were some very uncomfortable moments and I dig a film that can make me feel uncomfortable.

Man, I have got to get around to seeing this.  I've been anxious to watch it since I first saw the TV spots for it.  The Coen Bros. are mostly hit-or-miss in my book, but when they hit they hit really freakin' good.

Javier Bardem did a good job making you uncomfortable..........but for me it was mostly the crappy seats in the cheap ass theater i went to lol

I liked the scene in the gas station.  cool  Simple, dialog driven, but creepy.

I never got a chance to go see this although I really wanted to.  Definitely will be buying the dvd.

Great movie, really good I didnt think it was gonna b any good but it was really creative original and creepy

DVD Comes out March, 11th 2008, check it out.

Glad to see lots of people like this.  I am a big fan of movies setting atmosphere in a movie, thats why I loved this.  The no music throughout the film was a great way to use sound to build up creepy tension.  Loved it.

^ thanks for the release date jmh, i was so into this film that i barely notice there was no music but anyone who is having second thoughts about seeing this film i say this Javier Bardem has a shotgun w/ a silencer.........and it is BADASS!! big_smile big_smile