Re: No Country for Old Men

I was bored a few nights ago, the wife was out with some friends...so I decided to go see it again, even better 2nd time, I was the only person in the theater too.  Loved it.

I really want to see this along with "There Will be Blood". But of course I can't find any time to get to the theater and will once again watch the academy awards without seeing most, if any, of the best picture nominees. Oh well, at least there are DVD's.

jamhorner wrote:

This movie was so good, it really deserves a Best Picture, the Coens got jipped out of an Oscar with Fargo, this might be their movie that makes it.

They've got some stiff competition this year though, that's for sure.

what a SHIT film this was, nothing happens and theres no point to it, the only good thing is the killer with dodgy hair cut. This is the most overrated film in history imo.

^ dude.  Shotgun.  silencer!........hello!?!? tongue

adamroddis wrote:

what a SHIT film this was, nothing happens and theres no point to it, the only good thing is the killer with dodgy hair cut. This is the most overrated film in history imo.

Nothing happens?  I guess a guy going around killing people with a shotgun w/silencer or a cattle bolt gun to the head really isnt that exciting.....

I really wanna see this film bad!!!!:cool:

be sure to enter the contest on site for it smile
http://www.horror-movies.ca/horror_10931.html

Finally got around to seeing this flick last night, and...don't think it lived up to the hype.  It was good, but it wasn't THAT good.

What I liked:

The characters.  Anton Chigurh (Bardem) - chilling.  HE deserved his Oscar.  Llewellyn (Brolin) - an interesting protagonist, not the typical "ordinary guy in an extraordinary situation" character you see in most thrillers.  He had stones; I liked that.  Ed Tom (Jones) - such an authentic performance, I've known men like this in real life. 

The violence.  Very realistic, brutal -- it didn't seem like movie violence.  It didn't seem forced.  The violent was well integrated with the film's themes. 

The writing: that gas station scene should be used as a prime example of great screenwriting.  Notice how the scene starts off mild but builds up as it goes, and we know what the characters are saying not because they say exactly what's on their mind, but because they don't say exactly  what's on their minds.  It's more fun for the sadistic Chigurh to imply his intentions via subtext because he's just that sadistic and wants the guy to squirm.  And the guy's afraid of coming out and saying "I'm afraid you're going to kill me" because for all he knows that's what Chigurh's waiting for him to say.  Man, what an incredible scene, so well written, so well acted.  That scene's going to be studied for years.

BUT...AND BEWARE, FOR HERE THERE BE SPOILERS....

I didn't like that Brolin's death happened so suddenly and out of our view.  I didn't expect him to live, and honestly I'd have been pissed if he HAD managed to make it through all that shit and kill Chigurh, because it had already been shown that Chigurh was not a man.  His look, his gaze, his voice, his horrible will...he's a force of nature, a juggernaut, a hurricane in human form.  And if Brolin had succeeded in killing him, it would have basically negated the entire film.  Brolin had to die.  I just didn't think it would be so...lackluster.  It was almost anti-climactic.  The rat-a-tat-tat of machine gun fire, then next thing you know there he is dead on the floor.  Totally robbed his death of the dramatic impact it should have had.

As for the ending...it's missing something.  Jones's final soliloquy was interesting enough, sure, and I got the point:  that he'll be forever haunted by what's happened, that he'll never outrun the past or, more precisely, this case, or the diabolical role Chigurh played in it.  But it's missing something.  I don't mind an ambiguous ending, but even an ambiguous ending must carry with it a higher dramatic note; as is, the ending feels like a dinner guest who abruptly rises from the table and leaves, and you're left wondering, "What the hell was that all about?"

I did think it was a good film, yes, and worthy of most of its praise.  But certainly not all of it.

I just watched it last night, and I agree with Loud, I was kinda pissed that the death of Llewellyn was so anti climactic, and you didn't even see it happen! The movie was good, but for me, it really didn't live up to all the hype. And I think I will read the book to get more in depth as far as the theme of the story goes.

Zomboy wrote:

I just watched it last night, and I agree with Loud, I was kinda pissed that the death of Llewellyn was so anti climactic, and you didn't even see it happen! The movie was good, but for me, it really didn't live up to all the hype. And I think I will read the book to get more in depth as far as the theme of the story goes.

i di dnot read the book but the movie in regards to her, you left kinda not knowing if he killed her or not.

Well, personally, I think he did kill her, and it was karma punishing Anton for all the innocents he killed including Llewellyn's wife by getting him in the car crash. Thats what I think personally

I couldn't agree with you any more Lon.  Those were my exact words to my wife after we watched it.  I really enjoyed the movie and maybe I'm a little greedy for wanting just that much more, but I think it could've been even better.

Great fuckin' movie.  If you haven't already seen it, do it.  Do it now!

I thought that it was brilliant.  The absence of score, the color palate, and of course the acting.  It deserved the best picture this year.

*******ATTENTION SPOILERS*******

I finally watched No Country for Old Men the other night. I liked the kills in it and the bad ass killer in it.

I didn't like the ending to this film at all and why it didn't show the motel room kills scene of the mexicans and Josh Brolin in it. They should have showed Brolin getting gunned down in it. It also didn't show the girl getting killed in it. He didn't use the shotgun or the acttle bolt gun. All it shows is him coming out of the house and checking his shoes.

What about Woody Harrellson lol? I thought he was a contract killer but was really a wuss in the room talking his way out of it with the other killer lol.

Also, who in the hell got the $2,000,000? Did the sheriff get it cause he retired so quickly or did the mexicans get it or did the killer with the awful hairdo in it get it lol.

Don't get me wrong.......I enjoyed the film and thought it was good but it could have been so much better. I am disappointed in the ending to or say the last 15 minutes of the film.

I think the late 80's film Blood Simple by the Coen Brothers is a much better film than No Country for Old Men was. So check out Blood Simple if you have never seen it before and it has Nick Tortelli in it from tv's 80's show Cheers lol.

Last edited by RIP (2009-05-13 15:39:41)

I loved this movie

I thought it was Ok, I loved some of the kills but I didn't really like the ending.

this movie rules big_smile

However, I agree with Lon on Llewellyn's death in the film, although it was an inevitable development in the story, it still should have carried a lot of weight considering all that preceded, instead it was just an abbreviation. It serves its intent but rather interesting considering the Coen Brothers usual attention to detail. I wondered if they treated the scene as such to further instill the idea of the inevitability of death -
in reality, not that dramatic of an idea LOL
The ending works fine for me.

I just loved how the film reflected the tragedy of life - with time and age we will gradually lose everything in our lives, and at some point you will have to accept it. Hits hard, gimme some Chigurh!!

and I feel if you pay closer attention, you'll know if Anton killed the woman

The Coen's are supposedly now developing the new True Grit remake btw

Last edited by deadhorse13 (2009-05-13 19:20:40)