Topic: Meg!!!

Are there any other Jaws fans out there, like myself, that just jumped on Steve Alten's new series, Meg!?  I loved these books, and I was soooo excited when I heard that New Line bought the rights and they had a director and a script writer lined up, and a release fate of Summer '08; and then, sadly, New Line chose to go with Rush Hour 3 and Meg was cancelled... sad 

Is there anyone else out there that's heard of this book, the series or was super stoked for the film?

Re: Meg!!!

No, I didn't know about this, but considering how much Jaws scared the crap out of me, a 70 ft version would keep me out of the beloved ocean forever!

then you should definitely check out the series. 
I believe the 4th installment is on it's way shortly. 
I adore Jaws and i have soft-spot in my heart for monster movies, specifically shark movies...

i was really bummed when they shelved this movie. You can go to youtube and type in "megalodon" and watch the clips from the "Swimming with dinosaurs" series. It is awesome!!! Does anyone think the Megalodon could be still alive today?

I have a vivid imagination, and the theories that Steve Alten put forth in his novel had me intrigued, so I did some research and there are some, I emphasize SOME, in the marine biology and itchyology field that have shared the same theories or similar theories that perhaps they survived LONGER than was previously thought. 
I should see if can find the article that claimed there was a meg tooth discovered near Chilean waters that was dated about 5000 to 10 000 years ago, which is WAY ahead of when they first thought the Meg was extinct.  Some believe there are "fresher" teeth out there. 
Anyway, if we could ever explore the Mariana's Trench further, I'd love to see what's lurking WAY down in that oceanic abyss...

JAWS is my favorite movie of all time! I know ALL the words, all the trivia and would love to see MEG on the big screen! There are so many shitty megladon movies out there, it would be nice to see a movie about megladons done right. I will never understand Hollywood. Greenlight Deep Blue Sea with soundtrack by LLCoolJ but no MEG?WTF? Hopefully it will eventually get done.

I liked "deep blue sea". Which would be better? If they used all CGI to create the shark or built a scale model of the shark like Spielberg did in Jaws?

Scale model! DOWN WITH ALL CGI!

Ash's missing hand wrote:

I liked "deep blue sea". Which would be better? If they used all CGI to create the shark or built a scale model of the shark like Spielberg did in Jaws?

How about a real Shark?  Seriously, they should combine practical with just enough CGI to make it intense.

exactly!!  look how frightening Jaws was with 3 models and LIVE footage of actual whites!

Ash's missing hand wrote:

i was really bummed when they shelved this movie. You can go to youtube and type in "megalodon" and watch the clips from the "Swimming with dinosaurs" series. It is awesome!!! Does anyone think the Megalodon could be still alive today?

as cool as it is to study a live specimen i would have to say no it couldnt exist today.we would have seen some evidence to support that theory like large sea animals washing ashore with chunks taken out of them (with teeth of them left behind) or something to that effect.if it WAS alive however it would change the entire recreation dynamic of swimming at the beach as we would no longer be top of the food chain or the deadliest thing that could swim

It's funny you say that.  A few friends and I were laughing and having a mild argument, and my buddy kept saying how we shouldn't be protecting species from extinction, for we as humans are the top of the chain.  After he said that, I could resist chiding him and said: "Really, then go take a swim in the ocean for a few minutes, and we'll see who's REALLY at the top of the food chain."

I agree, there would be evidence somewhere, but at the same time, considering only 10% of the oceans have been explored, there's a plethora of water and space that's teeming with life and lifeforms that have never been seen by human eyes...

the giant squid and coelacanth are great example of that. who knows what swims at the deepest depths that we cannot reach......yet.

Cronenbergfan your friend is an idiot! Instead of opening his mouth he should try doing some research and realise that the ecosystem needs all creatures to exist on this planet. Learn about the Butterfly effect or Chaos theory (tell him to).
Jaws though a spectacular movie did a lot of damage to Sharks and caused a lot to be murdered and people to base their attitudes on these creatures, because of the film.  We need them to clean up the ocean. Those who are trying to protect the shark and teach us about the lives of these much maligned beings, are doing such a wonderful job and should be applauded. Sorry rant over.. I may love a large body count but animals are my passion.