Topic: Why they're always victims?

I was browsing through some still images of "I Am Legend", and I saw the picture where Will Smith is carrying his pooch....this led me to ask, "Why are Dog's always getting hurt and killed in movies?" Is it because a majority of the human population have a soft spot for their K-9 Friend, and it's simply used as a ploy for people to "feel" something towards that part of the fim, even if the overall picture is shitty?  Or, are dogs only thought of as weak companions/sidekicks that are soley used as another number to a body count.  Of the top of my head, I can come up with numerous films where the dogs are killed and/or injured....here's what I've got so far

I Am Legend
Pet Semetary 2
Old Yeller
The Thing
The Road Warrior
Snakes on a Plane
Revenge (Kevin Costner flick, dog takes a shotgun blast to the chest)
Payback
True Romance (not shown in the film, but the deleted scenes has Gary Oldman using a shotty on his dog)
Fatal Attraction

The list goes on....and I'm not trying to sound like an animal rights activist or anything, I eat meat, I've eaten dog before (Korea, I was drunk), but I just think it's a good conversation starter to discuss why Dog's in films are usually always injured and/or killed....anyone else?

Re: Why they're always victims?

the former.  And don't forget Planet Terror!

Hills Have Eyes     I can't think of any more off the top of my head but I always notice the dogs are getting killed in horror movies.

I think it's pretty funny, I just got back from seeing "No Country for Old Men", a whole shitload of dogs get killed in that...

its almost sad to say but most people have more sympathy for a hurt or killed animal over a hurt or killed person. depending on the film it could be used to get a knee-jerk responce or to make a statment. on the subject of "i am legend" i hope the proper time and effort is put into nevell's relationship w/ the dog to do it justice (it was one of my favorite aspects of the book)

This is the only one i can think of for right now.

Man's Best Friend - They genetically alter a dog's genes to make him deadly killer.

BlackDeathDamien wrote:

Man's Best Friend - They genetically alter a dog's genes to make him deadly killer.

You can add Cujo to the top of that list.

DeathbyHighKick wrote:
BlackDeathDamien wrote:

You can add Cujo to the top of that list.

I was actually thinking about posting that. But i don't know why i didn't. Maybe i was thinking that someone else posted. Eh oh well. Now i'm adding it to my list.

Tis the only time in a movie where I cry is when the dog gets hurt or killed.  Love doggies, don't care much for cats though so killing those is alright.  I make sure in the stuff I write no dogs get hurt or killed.

Talking about dogs geting hurt/killed...i think it's because the viewers have a soft spot like you said, and also because they're easy targets...i mean a lot of burglers are afraid of dogs right? well why not show the fear tollerance of a killer not to be afraid...the first movie that comes to mind where a dog gets killed is:

Halloween

remember when Myers literaly picks up the German Shepard by his neck and strangles him? im suprised no one has said this yet...

The Pack - late 70's film starring Bo Svenson which I have on vhs.

It's because dogs are better then people and it sucks more to see an animal get killed. They're innocent, loving, wonderful creatures. I eat meat too, don't worry, no PETA police here.

I so agree that animals, often dogs, are killed off in movies because no one seems to be bothered by the humans (except kids - little ones, not teenagers).  I thought the Hills Have Eyes remake would have been soooo much better if the dog had saved the younger ones at the end.  Of course, that movie was kind of a comedy to me and I was laughing so hard at the end.

Hills Have Eyes was ridiculous aside from the nerdy dude going postal in the end...I just think it's weird that films can have hundreds of people getting murdered on screen, nobody shed a tear, but god forbid a dog gets killed and you've got a friggin' cry-a-thon.

And don't forget turtles!

Captivity is another one
idk, i certainly have a soft spot for dogs, and its scary to watch a dog die (especially in Captivity since its a close up of the dog being blown up with a shotgun)

n00b_13 wrote:

Captivity is another one
idk, i certainly have a soft spot for dogs, and its scary to watch a dog die (especially in Captivity since its a close up of the dog being blown up with a shotgun)

Pretty exciting kill though, can't deny that one.

I hate animals getting killed in films, any animals but I am a dog person and have 2 myself so that it upsets me and yes, makes me cry when dogs are sacrificed. For me why? because they are faithful, loving, kind, considerate and they don't leave the toilet seat up and greet me with a waggy tail when I come home from work. And people can piss you off after coping with them through work or on the road and it is nice to imagine a bit of decapitating, or mutilation after a day of crap! Anyway you scream at the screen dont go there, do that etc and they do that anyway so its their fault lol
And I see the opposite thing happening too where people feel that animals are disposable ( look at the real world) and so them dying means sod all just a bit more violence and blood. So give me more people deaths (in films) and leave the doggies alone.

FEAR with Mark Wahlberg.

BlackDeathDamien wrote:

I remember being scared of dogs for a year or 2 after seeing that movie.

They pulled the punch twice in F13th.
Muffin in Pt2 (thought dead, showed up at the end) and Gordon in Pt 4 (dives out the window, fate unknown)

Jaws
American Psycho
The Omen

Did the dog die in Murder Party?  I only remember him getting his payback when things goy crazy.

ragXdoll wrote:
BlackDeathDamien wrote:

I remember being scared of dogs for a year or 2 after seeing that movie.

Reallly. Hmmmm. I know there are some people on here who don't like this movie. But i actually thought it was a pretty good movie. So what i had to do was order it from online and have had my very own copy of Man's Best Friend. If you do like it, i actually purchased my copy from bestbuy.com and it's a cheap and reasonable price too.

MissKatonic666 wrote:

Did the dog die in Murder Party?  I only remember him getting his payback when things goy crazy.

No I am pretty sure he lived.  He ate the bag of cocaine then went postal on Alexander, but I dont think he got killed after that because thats when the remaining people left on the rooftop pursuit.

jmh314 wrote:
MissKatonic666 wrote:

No I am pretty sure he lived.  He ate the bag of cocaine then went postal on Alexander, but I dont think he got killed after that because thats when the remaining people left on the rooftop pursuit.

That's what I thought, it just sort of moved on without any more from him.  YEAH for Murder Party!  Too bad he didn't take him home to meet the cat....