Topic: Clive Barker remaking HELLRAISER!

Michael Gingold at Fango wrote:

The Clive Barker site Revelations just posted a startling bit of news: The man himself is going to be scripting a remake his own seminal 1987 horror film HELLRAISER, and he’ll be doing it for Dimension, which has churned out a series of often only tangentially related Pinhead movies over the last decade. The new movie will be made for “a lot more money,�  Barker tells the site, “and they’ve invited me to write it—the invitation came from Bob Weinstein—which I am going to do, on the basis that if I don’t do it, it will be done in some way that I probably won’t like! It’s only that [original film] that I really, really, really care about in terms of its remake value—and it’ll be kind of fun to have the extra money to do the effects and all that cool stuff.
“So it puts me in the situation of writing both the beginning and the end of Pinhead at the same time—‘In my end is my beginning…’ I’m excited about it—actually, it’ll be kinda cool to revisit it once and see if there are things we can do to it which will make it significantly better. I wouldn’t wish to direct—I only want to write and be a part of the producing team. I wouldn’t want to revisit something that I did as a director, something I made all those years ago; that would be too, in a way, painful—not painful but weird, difficult, strange… I am very happy at the idea of having some more money for the cool stuff—I don’t know how much more money, but it’s got to be more than the $900,000 that we had the first time!�  Needless to say, we’ll keep a close watch on this project and let you know anything else we find out!

hmm I'm not sure how I feel about this.  I think it's good that they've got Barker involved, but I'm not sure if they can recreate the magic of the original. We'll see.

Re: Clive Barker remaking HELLRAISER!

as a suggestion please include a link to the original article smile great post

news posted here with props to Nosferatu for tracking it down http://www.horror-movies.ca/horror_6758.html

It don't want no part of it if they can't get Doug Bradley back to play Pinhead.

I am shocked this is happening, but then again not surprised in a way as studios are gobbling up rights to every classic horror film of the last thirty years they can get their greedy hands on.

Only upside I see to this is Barker writing it and being apart of it.  That makes me a feel a little more secure.  Hopefully he will be able to at least have enough sway to get someone good to helm it.

And I agree with Norrock, this film isn't gonna be much without Doug Bradley.  Unlike Leatherface, Michael, and Jason who hide behind a mask, and are silent, you just need an actor who fits the physical look of the previous actor to portray them.

Pinhead (like Freddy), you can see his face in full and after so many sequels and being such a great film, Bradley is the one and only Pinhead.

Last edited by thegoldensimatar (2006-10-21 12:42:36)

Meh wrote:

as a suggestion please include a link to the original article smile great post

Sorry about that Meh. I'll be sure to remember in the future. Here it is http://www.fangoria.com/news_article.php?id=2994

This seems useless. The original is less than 10 years old and was great. Does it really need to be remade?

no worries nosferatu smile just like to be able to check the sources. And I do agree i question why we need a new hellraiser greg.

I'm not that upset about this because of the fact that Clive Barker is redoing it.  But I still feel there is no need for a remake.  Especially Hellraiser.

Seeing as Clive Barker is involved, I'm not too worried about this movie being bad, but like TiM said, is there really any need to remake it? So far it seems like the remake will basically be the same thing as the original, but with some new special effects and such.

I don't know about this. Why does it have to be a remake? Why doesn't Barker just write a totally new screenplay instead of trying to remake the original.
And I agree if Bradley isn't in it, it will suck for sure.
But on the bright side it's super cool that Barker is getting involved with a Hellraiser film again.

Last edited by DemonToSome (2006-10-23 07:05:28)

TiM the Zombie wrote:

I'm not that upset about this because of the fact that Clive Barker is redoing it.  But I still feel there is no need for a remake.  Especially Hellraiser.

I agree fully.

As long as Clive Barker is behind the camera, I'm sure there's nothing to worry about.

man i dont mind this happening but i agree thay dont need to be doing it but since it is happening i will see it.

Whats Clive Barker been smokeing (Besides dick)?!!, He could remake any film of his besides Hellraiser, Like Rawhead Rex, Or even Night Breed. But i guess Barker has got his reasons, But still he did such a good job on the first two why redo em!!.

After hearing this, I am interested to see what happens with this.  Though Norrock is right, if Doug Bradley is not in this movie, it just won't be Pinhead.  I also believe they will have a hard time replacing their main character, played by Ashley Laurence.  She did a perfect job in Hellraiser and the sequel, so I hope they find someone just as good as her, other than that the remake should be good since Clive Barker is doing the script.

How could they possibly improve this film?

if only filmmakers looked at it that way carnage. They are just doing this for $$. Welcome to our community by the way smile

Carnage-E-Hall wrote:

How could they possibly improve this film?

I agree with ya!! WELCOME to the board Carnage:)

Greg wrote:

This seems useless. The original is less than 10 years old and was great. Does it really need to be remade?

The original was released in '87 (earlier in the UK I think) making it almost 20 years old. And I can honestly say that after watching it last night after Silent Hill that yes, it could certainly stand a remake.

I love the original but with the money that this franchise has created you can be sure that a sizable amount will be put into the remake. And if they use some of the special effects that were used in SH, man oh man, Pinhead is mightily going to kick ass. eg. hooks on chains in glorious CGI. Sweeeeeet.

Plus with Clive on board it's a must see anyway.

Last edited by TacTac (2006-11-14 21:14:31)

I never was a big fan of the original, even though I like a lot of Barker's works.  I would certainly give a "re-envisioning"(I think that is the new buzzword for remake these days!) by Clive a try but he isn't going to be directing according to the article.  I would loveo see Alexandre Aja give it a go, he is an excellent up and coming director (I loved High Tension) and I feel he was the difference that saved the Hills Have Eyes from being a mediocre remake, instead making it a pretty damn good movie.

i understand where ur coming from, the new CGI grafics do look cool in alot of movies, but CGI isnt the point of a good horror movie. ya itll give u a cheap haunted house style scare, but no real emotion that u get from watching some of the older movies and even though they dont look wonderfull, they are clasics and its the story that makes them that way, not the way the movie was made. i still dont think the remake will be as good as the origional, but i will prob go to see it.

deathgate666 wrote:

CGI isnt the point of a good horror movie.

i still dont think thya itll give u a cheap haunted house style scare, but no real emotion that u get from watching some of the older movies and even though they dont look wonderfull.

I couldn't agree with you more but..... I have already enjoyed it that way, now, as a demanding, modern consumer, I want choice. Give me another option, another choice and one more way to enjoy something I loved so much the first time!

I want to see it with todays budget allowance, with it's CGI filled graphic mayhem spread out across the big screen baby, screaming in THX surround sound madness and larger than life.

The way that the Cenobites and Pinhead, the crown prince of hell, deserve to be worshiped.

You are so right about the emotion though, and unfortunately that is a dying art, unless you are into asian horror. Some creepy stuff there.

Last edited by TacTac (2006-11-14 22:09:23)

i completely understand what ur saying. for me i still love the old clasics and always will. if movie producers could combine the raw emotion of the older movies and the newer CGI grafics, then they could make a truely awesome movie. i just dont think they need to remake old movies, they should come up with a new story that can combine both elements, they could really make something special. (i have a book that i want to write a screenplay for that i think could do just that, but im in the process of writing a book rite now)

deathgate666 wrote:

i completely understand what ur saying. for me i still love the old clasics and always will. if movie producers could combine the raw emotion of the older movies and the newer CGI grafics, then they could make a truely awesome movie. i just dont think they need to remake old movies, they should come up with a new story that can combine both elements, they could really make something special. (i have a book that i want to write a screenplay for that i think could do just that, but im in the process of writing a book rite now)

I love the classics too dg666. My collection is full of horror movies older than I am. I love B&W films as the directors 'back in the day' had not much more than a great story, lighting, shadow and camera work to convey their message.

I don't mind the fact that they remake films. As long as the original is not locked away in some safe upon the release of the remake I don't mind at all. Just gives me more to watch.

Good luck with the book btw, we definitely need more dedicated and die hard horror writers.