Topic: Inferno(1985)

This thread is about Dario Argento's sequel to Suspiria called Inferno which I was very disappointed in.

I just didn't like it at all. I have it on vhs and will be trading it with LoudLon this week. It was nothing like Suspiria at all to me. The ending was stupid to me and the kills were lame. Even the music to it was disappointing.

I love Suspiria but this one bombed imho.

Any thoughts?

Re: Inferno(1985)

the only memory i have of it is that it bored me to death, i just didnt care what happened.

adamroddis wrote:

the only memory i have of it is that it bored me to death, i just didnt care what happened.

Exactly, I just watched it again and that's where I disappeared to from this morning cause I am giving this vhs to LoudLon on a trade. It was just boring.

I sure hope Mother of Tears is better than Inferno was.

ye, it better be, ive seen a couple of reviews. Bloodydisgusting gave it 4 out of 5, and another i saw gave it a 3. I doubt it will capture the same feel as suspiria though.

Sorry guys but I love this movie. I like the buildings that he uses and the colours and art deco that gives these movies their surreal qualities. I also adore the Goblins and really enjoy the soundtracks. When the girl dives into the water and sees the old building/room underneath and then the corpses float around. And the deaths are pretty good with Argentos signature window/glass throat slittings and decapitations. The rooms that are hidden and the couple who meet their very greedy demise.
As well as the antique dealer getting his after he drowns the cats. All in all to me a fine movie:D

i've never seen the movie. looks like its getting mixed reviews so i'll give it a rent

Love this!

Lame kills??!!!

The double-slaying (a superbly crafted set-piece both aurally and visually with the use of the electricity going on and off and the opera music cutting out) is great and bloody.
It's one of my favourite Argento moments in fact.

The slyly staged death of the rat drowning guy is also a great visual and aural moment and a nicely gory kill as well.

The story is all over the place and only really works on a fairytale/dream level, but thi sis still prime ear Argento for me with lost of great set-pieces.

Well said.  I usually complain about Argento's inability to maintain a cohesive narrative but in this flick, I thought that particularly inability worked really well.  You don't know what's going to happen next or who it's going to happen to or how.  Totally weird yet fascinatingly so.

I'm glad Rip didn't enjoy this flick and traded it to me.  I've been looking for a copy for years!

Mike bought me a copy for Christmas.  I love this movie.  I am anxiosly awaiting the Mother of Tears now.

LoudLon wrote:

I'm glad Rip didn't enjoy this flick and traded it to me.  I've been looking for a copy for years!

No worries, I was bored to death by this film actually so I knew that you would like it lol.:P

I just finished watching it for the first time, and I have to say it was somewhat dissapointing. I mean it was beautiful set and lighting-wise, but the story seemed so unnaturally coincidental. I mean, if Rose hadn't lived in that building, but still bought the book, none of that would have ever happened.
Though many people, not necessarily here, say they hate the ending. But the ending was not different from Suspiria as far as I can tell...

Zomboy wrote:

I just finished watching it for the first time, and I have to say it was somewhat dissapointing. I mean it was beautiful set and lighting-wise, but the story seemed so unnaturally coincidental. I mean, if Rose hadn't lived in that building, but still bought the book, none of that would have ever happened.
Though many people, not necessarily here, say they hate the ending. But the ending was not different from Suspiria as far as I can tell...

Hey Zomboy, what film is that image from in your avatar cause it looks familiar to me?:/

It's from when Bob gets his head drilled in City of the Living Dead a.k.a Gates of Hell

Zomboy wrote:

It's from when Bob gets his head drilled in City of the Living Dead a.k.a Gates of Hell

Oh okay, yeah I have that movie on dvd as City of the Living Dead and I also own it on vhs as the Gates of Hell lol too.

Yep, great movie! I have it on dvd

My feelings for this sequel is mix, basicaly i thought it was ok, no were close to as good to Suspiria. I do agree with RIP that it is boring but for me in like 60% of the movie. I do like the begining alot like the girl discovering the ruins in a flooded old underground building. It was also unpredictable with a few turns(dont want to give much away). I also like the cinemetography and art direction of it and the soundtrack score was mellow but good and i know its not as good as Suspiria's score.
I kinda liked the ending and how the Mother of Shadows revealed herself.
I think what really hurt the film is probably the fact that the protaganist was a guy rather than a girl, i just did'nt feel for the guy much and that they led you to believe the protaganist was a girl in the begining and all of a sudden switch to this guy who i really did'nt cared for. Also the kills was definetly lame compare to Suspiria.

I love the way Argento didn't feel he needed to explain everything to his audience as if they were dim children. The paranoia, the mysterious architecture, the arcane bookseller and the basement dwelling alchemist were all fantastic elements of an intriguing film.

I dont think ive ever seen this one yet, if its available maybe ill netflix it.

I have never seen this movie in my life but have heard about it so many times. Sooner or later, i'll be checking this movie out.

Like I said before this has to be one of Argento's worst films that he has made. Argento is my fave foreign director of all time but I was very disappointed in this film after the success of Suspiria. He did go on to make other cool films after this one which I love but Inferno was just lame to me.

lol man I hate to admit it but I kinda agree with RIP hmm I don't think its a bad film but it's not even close to some of Argento's classics. Both films are slow moving but where I think Suspiria worked in building suspense and atmosphere, Inferno failed or at least didn't match up.

skfan wrote:

lol man I hate to admit it but I kinda agree with RIP hmm I don't think its a bad film but it's not even close to some of Argento's classics. Both films are slow moving but where I think Suspiria worked in building suspense and atmosphere, Inferno failed or at least didn't match up.

Ah ha, caught you agreeing with me lol.:lol:

And saw that you made a review for the horrible slasher film called Lover's Land that you hated it worst than The Pool.:P

I don't think its a bad movie but the ending is really weak.

RIP wrote:
skfan wrote:

Ah ha, caught you agreeing with me lol.:lol:

And saw that you made a review for the horrible slasher film called Lover's Land that you hated it worst than The Pool.:P

omg that movie was shit lol at least I could understand what there was of a plot in "The Pool"