Re: Screenwriting

Used the old right-click, copy link location, then start the new thread, paste in between the url tags and all set!

Ok - I found the link to his page - figured it out and up and running - thanks for teh help.
Shake

All part of our friendly service!  Hope you get some feedback, I know I've enjoyed reading it a couple of times.

Well I'll be damned if I didn't just start a project and already 15 pages in.  I think thats a good start smile  I put my other project on hold for now, I thought of a different idea that I think is fun and probably more "sellable" than my first script idea.  I want so badly to reveal it all to you...but I guess I'll pull a cloverfield and keep you all at bay lol

Good job gabs. Happy writing!

well thank you, since then i've managed to get to 27 pages, but I hit a spot that I've been carefully thinking about where I wanted to go with it.  I got the set up ready to rock, now I just want to figure out what happens next...and how to keep it moving swiftly smile

Cool - what's the basic story line?

I found a cool program called Celtx thats free for download on the internet, it's got tutorials and programs within it for all your cinematic writing, be it screenplay or something else. It'll def. come in handy sometime.

Celtx is great. I just used it to properly format my script which is now complete. If anyone would like to read it, let me know. I would love some feedback whether good or bad, suggestions, and whether or not you would like to see a movie like this. Send me a pm and we'll go from there.

hey gabs, keep us informed on your project.

oh its coming...slowly.  I got promoted and my "creativity" juice is GONE after work is over lol.  It's been coming back so I'm gonna have to get back to it soon! big_smile

Apparently my producer has a meeting with Evolution Entertainment people next week to look at the script I wrote.
We'll see.

gabs1515 wrote:

oh its coming...slowly.  I got promoted and my "creativity" juice is GONE after work is over lol.  It's been coming back so I'm gonna have to get back to it soon! big_smile

Thats funny i got fired and now i cant think of a damn thing either i am at 74 pages i know how i want it to end but i just cant get to the end now. Most of it is now that i am unemployed I'm a happy camper now. Go figure

The One-Page for my latest screenplay I am working on - sadly folks it's not horror. But it is a fictional account of my attending the "Wish You Were Here" concert by Pink Floyd in 1975, to date - the best concert I have ever been to.

I found this live pic of them at Knebworth - they went to Knebworth right after the Hamilton show in 1975 - Montreal being the second to last show of this tour - the one I went to - and this is pretty much were I stood at the Autostade show in Montreal - this was my view of Floyd.

Here's my design for the poster.
http://i44.servimg.com/u/f44/11/34/33/97/floyd_10.jpg

Last edited by Shakingman (2008-03-08 03:20:10)

Really cool, Shake.  I look forward to reading it, If I ever get a chance.

Last edited by TiM the Zombie (2008-03-08 11:53:14)

TiM the Zombie wrote:

Really cool, Shake.  I look forward to reading it, If I ever get a chance.

I'm on page 4 so it may be a while but I do tend to write fast once I have all the elements in place - there are so many things that happened that lead up to me standing outside the gate trying to crash it...that it's worth telling.

I did manage to get in free to this concert...me and about 20 others I was with.

Last edited by Shakingman (2008-03-08 12:06:05)

Haven't posted in this thread in a bit, but wanted to let you fellow writers know there have been some nibbles on the scripts and also hard at work on a new one, in addition to polishing some others.  Feel free to send along any scripts for review... Shake can attest to the fact that I will read and offer feedback.

New and jumping in (Introduction somewhere else I am sure) I just recently decided to expand my writing career into screenwriting and started classes. Love it and can't wait to actually get down to the nitty gritty of things.
Right now we are into lighting. The ins and outs of how to use lighting.

Yes, I am learning the total package.

So glad to find a place where I can toss a question or comment out to.

Nell

Feel free... I have several features already, and currently working on a new one while trying to doctor another... Screenwriting is the ultimate marriage of writing and being too lazy to sufficiently write prose.

Rer73 - do you really think that writing for the screen is the lazy writers' option?? **perplexed**

I always found it needed more discipline to tell the whole story in 90-100 pages than with prose.  Although the skill needed to avoid waffling is probably greater in prose than in a script. 

I have a feature script, horror/adventure style... in the same vein (pardon the pun) as The Lost Boys and I'm currently at work the next draft of a telemovie/series package.  The telemovie will with any luck start shooting in December if we can lock our lead into a contract, fingers crossed there.

Love to trade off on scripts for a peer review sometime.

Last edited by Cthonian (2008-04-01 06:31:37)

I always joke about screenwriting, even though I have been doing it for over a decade, now.  So, no, I don't really think it's lazy.  In fact, i think it can be very elegant, at times.  Feel free to send alonf your script any time... I generally can give a pretty detailed review.

ravenbroom wrote:

New and jumping in (Introduction somewhere else I am sure) I just recently decided to expand my writing career into screenwriting and started classes. Love it and can't wait to actually get down to the nitty gritty of things.

Nell

Welcome Nell. Fuck the lighting course and concentrate on the writing - those package deal Production Courses are lame - and usually, but not always, the one's teaching are losers with maybe a Gaffer credit to their names (no offense to Gaffers) - pick up these books "Story" by Robert McKee - "Stealing Fire From the Gods" by   and "Save the Cat" by Blake Snyder - read them and just start writing. If screenwriting is what you want to do - then just start writing and hone the craft - and forget about everything else in production.

Just my two cents.

And rerj! Screenwriting is tough! Tougher than prose, in my opinion, and yes I can attest to some good critiquing by the man - sorry haven't reciprocated yet - doing an overhaul and hopefully final draft of "Rowan" lots of people including a director have come aboard.

I'm also working on two other pieces as well.

David

You know I'm just funning, Shake.  It's very hard work, when done well, but you are completely correct that the best way to go with this endeavor is to write and write and write.  There's an old adage that says you're not really good until your millionth word and I think that's probably pretty accurate.  But any help given or needed along the way is a welcome addition to a somewhat isolated experience of screenwriting.

You guys couldn't be more correct. I am re-writing Quiet Town, AGAIN, lol.

Shakingman wrote:
ravenbroom wrote:

Nell

Welcome Nell. Fuck the lighting course and concentrate on the writing - those package deal Production Courses are lame - and usually, but not always, the one's teaching are losers with maybe a Gaffer credit to their names (no offense to Gaffers) - pick up these books "Story" by Robert McKee - "Stealing Fire From the Gods" by   and "Save the Cat" by Blake Snyder - read them and just start writing. If screenwriting is what you want to do - then just start writing and hone the craft - and forget about everything else in production.

Just my two cents.

And rerj! Screenwriting is tough! Tougher than prose, in my opinion, and yes I can attest to some good critiquing by the man - sorry haven't reciprocated yet - doing an overhaul and hopefully final draft of "Rowan" lots of people including a director have come aboard.

I'm also working on two other pieces as well.

David

Actually it isn't a production course. I am getting my Masters. So to do so, I have to take the complete courses at film school. This has cost me 4500.00. I need to get 10 more credits under my belt for Masters. I already have 8 years of college behind me. (I was going into advertising) My final is one class is producting, directing, writing, music, editing an hour film. With talking to directors/producers and screenwriters, they all agreed that understanding what goes on behind the camera is an important part of actually being involved in this business, if you want to make a career out of it, which is what I am planning to do.
I am already a published author, and was an editor for a couple of mags, but wanted to reach out into a different span as I got older...much older.
I'm done with lightening right now, and I tell you...it was extremely interesting. It opened my eyes alot pertaining to movies I now watch. I understand about filtering and how to create atmosphere. I am now involved in special fx in one class, editing in another, and of course, my actual screenwriting class. The other two classes are pure fun. One is getting to watch a movie and pick it apart (why the colors used, character sketching how done...ect), and the other is economics. How to be able to pertain money for movie making, time off for writing, paying taxes and of course people involved. Quite interesting.

So sorry, very much disagree as I see an education of what is behind and in front of the camera is just as important.

BTW: over 75 pages done of first screenplay.

Nellie