Topic: TOP TEN Most Anticipated Films of 2008

10. "Tropic Thunder" Mark Your Calendar: July 11
Stars: Ben Stiller, Jack Black, Robert Downey Jr., Nick Nolte, Steve Coogan, Danny McBride, Bill Hader, Tom Cruise and numerous celebrity cameos

The Story: Movie actors go on location and find themselves stuck in the middle of a real war zone. Hilarity ensues.

The Lowdown: Stiller has recruited a fantastic ensemble of comedic actors in his first directorial effort since 2001's underrated "Zoolander." Word is it's not the more recognizable names who have the biggest laughs, but that up-and-comers Hader and McBride steal the show.

Big Question Mark: Will Cruise stop suing Web sites for showing him in the bald cap and fat suit he wears in his Harvey Weinstein-like cameo in the movie? (Probably not.)

9. "WALL*E" Mark Your Calendar: June 27
Stars: WALL*E, EVE
The Story: After 700 years of cleaning up junk on a deserted planet Earth, inquisitive robot WALL*E mistakenly flies into space, where he discovers love in the form of another robot, EVE.

The Lowdown: Director Andrew Stanton is less heralded than Pixar peers Brad Bird and John Lasseter. But he's also the creative mind behind "Finding Nemo," and, from what's been shown so far, this flick may prove he's actually the superior talent.

Big Question Mark: Pixar and Disney reached $615 million worldwide with an animated movie about a French rat that takes place mostly in a kitchen. That pretty much proves they can do anything but bring peace to the Middle East. (Give them time!)

8. "The Curious Case of Benjamin Button" Mark Your Calendar: Nov. 26
Stars: Brad Pitt, Cate Blanchett, Tilda Swinton, Elle Fanning, Julia Ormond

The Story: Based on a 1922 short story by F. Scott Fitzgerald, Benjamin Button (Pitt) is born as a fully grown, old man in 1918 and lives his life by aging backward all the way to the 21st century.

The Lowdown: Director David Fincher's latest flick has an astronomical budget in part because of CG work used to place Pitt's face on all the different bodies that help portray Button along his journey, from elderly men to little kids.

Big Question Mark: Can "Button" hit a "Forrest Gump" nerve?

7. "Pineapple Express" Mark Your Calendar: Aug. 8
Stars: Seth Rogen, James Franco, Bill Hader, Gary Cole, Rosie Perez

The Story: Dale (Rogen) is a process server who buys a new type of marijuana called Pineapple Express from a drug dealer named Saul (Franco). They are forced to go on the run after they witness a murder committed by a corrupt cop (Perez) and a local gang leader (Cole).

The Lowdown: Already finished and beloved by test audiences, Sony Pictures is releasing this R-rated comedy from producer Judd Apatow and screenwriter Rogen on the same successful summer weekend as "Superbad."

Big Question Mark: Because of the questionable quality of the flicks that precede it in the spring ("Drillbit Taylor" and "Forgetting Sarah Marshall"), will this be the first Apatow movie not to have his name prominently displayed in the advertising?

6. "Mamma Mia!" Mark Your Calendar: July 18
Stars: Meryl Streep, Pierce Brosnan, Amanda Seyfried, Colin Firth, Stellan Skarsgard, Julie Walters, Christine Baranski

The Story: A young bride invites three of her mother's ex-flames to her wedding in hopes of determining which one of them is her father.

The Lowdown: The original stage musical composed of the greatest hits of 1970s pop band ABBA has been extremely popular with audiences, but not so much with critics.

Big Question Mark: It's not whether Streep can sing (she can), but without tween sensation Zac Efron in tow, can it make more money than last summer's $118 million grossing "Hairspray"?

5. "Star Trek" Mark Your Calendar: Dec. 25
Stars: Leonard Nimoy, Eric Bana, Karl Urban, Chris Pine, Zachary Quinto, Zoe Saldana, Simon Pegg, Anton Yelchin

The Story: Shrouded in secrecy, but rumor has it that, in order to correct the timeline, Spock (Nimoy) is forced to return to the days when he first met James T. Kirk and team up with his younger self (Quinto) to prevent Kirk and the starship Enterprise from being erased from history entirely.

The Lowdown: Director J.J. Abrams ("Lost") is hoping to relaunch the franchise by introducing a new cast and reimagining the look of the original 1960s show for today. By bringing back Nimoy and teaming him with Quinto, he's basically making a Spock buddy picture.

Big Question Mark: Can Abrams and Paramount convince anyone under the age of 40 that "Star Trek" is actually cool again?

4. "Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince" Mark Your Calendar: Nov. 21
Stars: Daniel Radcliffe, Emma Watson, Rupert Grint, Helena Bonham Carter, Jim Broadbent, Michael Gambon, Warwick Davis, Maggie Smith, Alan Rickman

The Story: It's getting darker and darker at Hogwarts as Voldemort's influence is growing, but Dumbledore is preparing Harry and his friends for the inevitable climactic showdown. And just to make matters worse, teenage romance is in the air!

The Lowdown: Rickman has waited patiently through the first five films for Professor Severus Snape to finally get interesting, and, having read the book, he's no doubt thrilled he stuck around. (He also admits to having read the final book, "The Deathly Hallows," as well.)

Big Question Mark: Can director David Yates fashion a better picture than "Order of the Phoenix," and will he still be around for "Hallows"?

3. "Iron Man" Mark Your Calendar: May 2
Stars: Robert Downey Jr., Terrence Howard, Gwyneth Paltrow, Jeff Bridges

The Story: Billionaire industrialist and genius inventor Tony Stark is kidnapped by terrorists, who force him to build a devastating weapon. Escaping by building himself a powerful suit of armor instead, he realizes he has been a pawn in a sinister plot with global implications.

Determined to stop it, he develops a more advanced version of his armor and becomes Iron Man.

The Lowdown: When the first footage from the movie was shown in front of 5,000 Comic-Con fans last July, the audience freaked. And no one is questioning whether Downey has the chops to pull off a convincing action hero anymore.

Big Question Mark: There is no question it's going to be the summer's first hit. The question is: Just how big a hit will it be?

2. "Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull" Mark Your Calendar: May 22
Stars: Harrison Ford, Cate Blanchett, Shia LaBeouf, Karen Allen, John Hurt, Ray Winstone
The Story: Set in 1957, 19 years after "Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade," the professor's latest adventure has him racing against the Soviet Union to find the Crystal Skull, a mysterious object of possibly alien origin (bingo!) that has tremendous power.

The Lowdown: It's amazing the movie is being made at all with Ford a wry 65 years old, but that's why Steven Spielberg protégé and teen heartthrob LaBeouf is along for the ride.

Big Question Mark: LaBeouf's character is described as a "motorcycle-riding greaser," but is he really Indy's son or not?

1. "The Dark Knight" Mark Your Calendar: July 18
Stars: Christian Bale, Heath Ledger, Maggie Gyllenhaal, Gary Oldman, Michael Caine, Morgan Freeman, Aaron Eckhart

The Story: Batman (Bale) faces his greatest challenge: a punk/anti-establishment Joker (a sinfully intriguing Ledger) wreaking havoc across Gotham City. And, in the wings, another evil threat looms.

The Lowdown: Director Chris Nolan also smartly kept Wayne's love interest, Rachel Dawes, but thankfully replaced Katie Holmes with a much better actress, Gyllenhaal.

Big Question Mark: Just exactly how does Eckhart's portrayal of the villainous Two-Face fit into the picture?

Re: TOP TEN Most Anticipated Films of 2008

1. Speed Racer
2. Iron Man
3. Dark Knight
4. Pineapple Express
5. Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of Crystal Skull
6. Untitled James Bond 22 Film
7. Be Kind and Rewind
8. Jumper

That's all i can think of for right now. I'll get back to you with the other 2.

Iron Man and Get Smart (to see if I made the credits)
Indy Jones 4
Wall-E

More soon.

That wasn`t my list - I found it on the net...I had no idea about the Star Trek film!

I can not wait for Iron Man!

oh and Dark Knight and Jumper.  I am in sensory overload right now.

I moved it over to mainstream movies since this is a broad coverage of anticipated movies.

all those on that list plus Hancock, Will Smith's new one looks pretty funny.  I'm looking forward to Teeth, and I'll think on it somemore...

The Dark Knight
Wanted
My Name Is Bruce
Iron Man
Sin-Jin Smythe
The Ruins
Repo the Genetic Opera
The Happening M. Night Shyamalyn's
Get Smart
James Bond 22

Doomsday big_smile Neil Marshals
Wanted- starring A. Jolie and M. Freeman
Rambo- ...What? i like Rambo...
Kung Fu Panda- starring Jack Black looks funny and cool also star's D. Hoffman and J. Chan
Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull- hello its indie!
the Dark Knight
Harry Potter: and the Half-Blood Prince
Saw V
Frontiere(s)
Diary of the Dead

thats all for now i think...

thedeadshallrule wrote:

The Dark Knight
Wanted
My Name Is Bruce
Iron Man
Sin-Jin Smythe
The Ruins
Repo the Genetic Opera
Get Smart
James Bond 22

Great to see another fellow James Bond fan and also can't wait to see the newest one. Now i just hope they actually come up with a good title to the movie than just Bond 22 or something else. I do hope it does turn out to be just as good as it has been. And don't forget the new Bond movie will be released sometime in November.

thedeadshallrule wrote:

The Dark Knight
Wanted
My Name Is Bruce
Iron Man
Sin-Jin Smythe
The Ruins
Repo the Genetic Opera
Get Smart
James Bond 22

OK, I cringed when I saw Sin-Jin Smythe (many of you can figure out why).

I wanna see
Iron Man
My Name is Bruce
Mother of Tears (Sunday!)
Machine Girl

Harry Potter, Indiana Jones and Star Trek...I want to see them, I will see them, but part of me is worried they won't be as good as I want them to be.

Even though that i already listed 8 movies that i really want to see, well there are even more movies that are being released:

Amusement
Run Fatboy Run
Hulk 2
Hellboy 2: The Golden Army
The Mummy: Tomb of the Dragon Emperor
The Punisher : War Zone
Death Race
Untraceable
My Name Is Bruce
Strange Wilderness
Diary of the Dead
Hunting Creatures
Midnight Meat Train
Saw V

That's every single movie i wanna see so damn bad this year. So the above list that i made, which only has 8 movies and now all of the ones that i just listed are the rest of the movies i wanna see really damn bad. A must see for me and i know they aren't 10 of them listed but all of them are for me considered really anticipated movies for me to see.

Run Fatboy Run!!!! lol yessss

Midnight Meat Train
Hellraiser
Mother of Tears
My Name Is Bruce
Diary of the Dead
Teeth
Easter Bunny Kill Kill
Indiana Jones
Harold & Kumar Escape from Guantanamo Bay
The Dark Knight

i dont even know about many films this year, i think it could be the worst year 4 films ever lol unless sum 1 can enlighten me. i wud say diary and dark knight.

It's a long list but I really like watching movies... sue me.
I probably forgot a bunch I also wanted to see.

Be Kind Rewind
Run Fatboy Run
Semi-Pro
Rambo
The Happening
My Name Is Bruce
Diary of the Dead
Trick 'r Treat
IronMan
Ghost Town
The Poughkeepsie Tapes
Indiana Jones
Drillbit Taylor
Fanboys
Pinapple Express
Harold & Kumar Escape from Guantanamo Bay
The Dark Knight
The Rocker

i'm so psyched for
1. Doomsday (from the always awesome Neil Marshall & starring the incredible Rhona Mitra!).
2. Whiteout (starring Kate Beckinsale)
3. The Happening
4. All the Boys Love Mandy Lane
5. Underworld 3

I wanna see The Bank Job!  My type of heist flick!

I only have two that I can think of right now and one of them I am seeing today...YAY!!!

Diary of the Dead
Indiana Jones

Black Devil Doll

The only film that I'm, literally, dying to see.  I mean, I'm counting down the days (on my monster movie calendar) until the Fango con in April, mainly, to see the early screening of "BDD".  I just, can't, fucking wait.

Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull
the Dark Knight
Harry Potter: and the Half-Blood Prince
Diary of the Dead
harold and kumar 2
iron man

more to come im sure.

1. Madagascar 2
2. Horton Hears A Who
3. American Dog