Topic: Night Watch and Day Watch

I just noticed there wasn't a thread about this. I'm a big fan of "Nochnoi Dozor" and "Dnevnoi Dozor". They seem to have been virtually ignored by everyone especially as Fox Searchlight ruined the distribution of "Day Watch" and put out a highly mutilated theatrical version in selected cinemas. With the full versions now available everywhere on DVD, I just wondered what everyone else thought of them.

Re: Night Watch and Day Watch

I've seen neither, but I hear good things so I may have to check them out

great flicks. nice mix of horror, fantasy and action. ther were some great ideas in them too. its not often you see somthing that feels new, but night/day watch delivers.

i liked them, great movies!

I own both of them and love every second of them. I can't get enough of either one of them. I can just watch them over and over again and never get sick and tired of them. To me, the entire series keeps on getting better and better. And i sure as hell can't wait for the 3rd and final chapter to be released and see what we are going to witness.

I think I might have seen these...:lol:
As you know, I love them and can't stop watching them, to the point of slightly unhealthy obsession. big_smile  Everything about them, from the acting, storyline, special effects and characters through to the music and subtitles is pure class and they are the best films that most people have never seen.  Bring on part 3!!

I just love these movies, everything about them. The story line is intelligent and extremely thought provoking. I am so worried about the third installment as they are moving it to America and I am sorry American guys but I wish they would keep it in Russia as that is part of its charm.

Just picked up daywatch the other day and looking forward to getting some time to watch it...Nightwatch is wicked tho...

Furdion wrote:

I wish they would keep it in Russia

I know exactly what you mean.  If they Americanise part 3, it will break my heart sad

Furdion wrote:

I just love these movies, everything about them. The story line is intelligent and extremely thought provoking. I am so worried about the third installment as they are moving it to America and I am sorry American guys but I wish they would keep it in Russia as that is part of its charm.

I highly agree with you. It should only be kept in America, which me being american. The whole atmosphere and setting can only be achieved in the Russian setting. But if you refer to the movie also being released in America, then they will have bother versions of the movie on one disc like they have been doing. But i'm pretty sure you are referring to the setting of the movie itself, like where it takes place.

BlackDeathDamian wrote:

But i'm pretty sure you are referring to the setting of the movie itself, like where it takes place.

I can't speak for Furdion but I meant the setting and the characters.  The books are set in Russia and the characters are meant to be Russian.  If they move it to an American setting and get rid of the current actors and replace them with Hollywood actors, it will kill the story.  I couldn't see anyone else play Anton, other than Konstantin Khabensky for a start.
I think they should definately have had a wider distribution in America though, even somewhere the size of the UK had a better distribution and the American dvd versions are also cut, compared to the UK and Russian versions so, in this case, it's the American public who are being short changed  sad

jackalqueen wrote:
BlackDeathDamian wrote:

But i'm pretty sure you are referring to the setting of the movie itself, like where it takes place.

I can't speak for Furdion but I meant the setting and the characters.  The books are set in Russia and the characters are meant to be Russian.  If they move it to an American setting and get rid of the current actors and replace them with Hollywood actors, it will kill the story.  I couldn't see anyone else play Anton, other than Konstantin Khabensky for a start.
I think they should definately have had a wider distribution in America though, even somewhere the size of the UK had a better distribution and the American dvd versions are also cut, compared to the UK and Russian versions so, in this case, it's the American public who are being short changed  sad

Ok now i get it. That's definitely one thing that they can't do. They simply can't change any of the actors and where this takes place. B/c if they do, then the movie is probably going to suck and lose that whole feel that both Night Watch and Day Watch had. They are so close of being done with the trilogy and they want to fuck it up by changing things around. They can't. If they're smart, then they would leave how everything is and of course new storyline. What's next, they are going to screw up on the visuals too and have a new director.

I've seen the first - thought it over the top and never rented the 2nd.

shakingman wrote:

I've seen the first - thought it over the top and never rented the 2nd

You're not alone in that - they do seem to be the kind of films that you either love or hate, there are very few people sitting on the fence about Night Watch and Day Watch smile

i cant wait to see daywatch, i thought nightwatch was very cool myself.

survivalist wrote:

i cant wait to see daywatch, i thought nightwatch was very cool myself.

I actually liked Day Watch just al little more than Night Watch. Everything that goes on through out the movie and the plot and the special fx. OMG! Trust me. You won't be disappointed one bit.

Even though I found the basic philosophical premise of the films a little wobbly, I LOVED these films and I am fervently hoping the move to the US doesn't screw up Dusk Watch, because that would make me a sad bunny.

Has anyone here read the books, especially the Russian originals? I'm told the books are even better, and I need to get my hands on Russian-language copies.

I am a huge fan of bothe movies, but I think I liked the first one a little better.  I was also a little worried about the news of the third one.  I hope it stays in Russia as well.  I don't know if anyone has tried watching the dubbed versions, but they are actually better subtitled.  Not that this any different than any other foreign film, but the effects they use with the subtitles is pretty cool.

I saw Nightwatch but couldn't make heads or tails of the damn thing.  It completely lost me.  So I didn't bother with Day Watch.

I saw NIGHTWATCH and loved it.  Read most of the 2nd book in NIGHTWATCH (which DAYWATCH is based not, not the book) before I had to put it down for school readings.

Read the Books by Sergei Lukyanenko.  Night Watch, Day Watch, & Twilight Watch.

Yes I did mean the settings. The premise is simple...What you think comes to pass. And that you always have a choice in how things affect you and how you react. So that you can and do have the power to change things by your very thoughts and actions. Again one can watch these films over and over again and go deeper into the whole ideas that are touched on in these films. I love the actors and I think to Americanise it they will attempt to popularise it and dumb it down. Again also the Russian landscape is so well suited to these films and the light and colours that are involved in America will not be the same as in Russia, which is greyer and the light is much more subtle (hidden by clouds etc)

The first time I saw Nightwatch, I didn't really like it, i think because at the time i was distracted and drinking a little.  But at the time I did like the look of the film, which was enough to make me check out Daywatch.  And let me tell you, I was blown away.

I then re watched NightWatch and realized my mistake

two fantastic films, can't wait for the third

Seems I'm the only one who didn't seem to think they were all that great?

Just saw Daywatch for the first time.  I didn't understand it at all, but totally loved it.  Now I can't wait to see Nightwatch.  I do think I've ever enjoyed a film so much that I didn't understand.  Oh well!

Awesome movie!