Topic: Horror movie settings!

I always like a good setting locations films in horror films cause it gets the mood right for it along with the music. Now there are some shitty films out there that have good settings in them but the films themselves are terrible.

Here are some of my fave scene settings:

Friday the 13th(1980) - the scene on the lake towards nightfall when Kevin Bacon and his character girlfriend are sitting by the lake and she is telling him about the nightmare dream she had as a kid and then it shows the lake and the skyline going kinda orange.....I like that scene alot.

Twitch of the Death Nerve - the opening shot of the lake at dusk and it looks really cool.

Malevolence - after the girl gets killed in the beginning then the theme music comes on and the titles and it shows different scenes of the countryside.

Halloween 4 - the opening scenes with titles and shows barns and scarecrows and pumpkins, etc....

High Tension - road trip at the beginning and shows the countryside.

What are some of your fave setting scenes in horror films?

Re: Horror movie settings!

Well I like Gothic scenes and just like to watch movies set in Romania and the Czech Republic. I am besotted with Prague and even the forests used in such movies as Severance and Dog Soldiers does it for me. I could watch that scenery for hours. I have also discovered the beauty in Industrial decay and my fav scene though not a horror (or is it!) is in Nostrodamus where he is having premonitions about the future. I also enjoy the scenery/buildings in the Night and Day Watch movies. Oh and Fog.
Basically I like all the ingredients of a Gothic Horror Film:lol:

man theres alot of diff setting once u start thinkin about em !  Heres one of my favs .... "Jaws" the begining scene swimming in the ocean at night !!! some other swimming in the ocean at night settings would be ....  "Open Water" , "Pirahna" and "Tentacles"  to name a few big_smile ...   has anyone really swam in the ocean at night for real ???? freaks me out just thinkin about it  yikes

Vampire Journals - awesome film from Full Moon pictures and has some great night scenery in Romania city life.

Friday the 13th part 6 in the beginning were it gives u that goth feeling. Fog going through the lake and woods with the full moon and with the wolf on the road.

Freddy vs Jason in the end where theres a scene with big clounds and jason comes out of the water, kinda of have a heavan feel to it.

The fall of the House of Usher in begining shows view going through the forest with some fog and has a great goth feeling to it.

Vamp when it gets dark and the business lights lite up the night gives a good scene shot.

The Shining were the Torences family drive to the overlook hotel in the begining.

Near Dark - where the gang walks up a hill in the night to the bar to test Caleb for his last chance. Where Caleb and Mae walking down the street in the dark and a truck start kinda circling around them. And many more.

This is such a fun topic that I'm going to sleep on it.

Suspiria - the school dance buildings were awesome

The Evil Dead - backwoods country was great

RIP wrote:

Suspiria - the school dance buildings were awesome

oh yeah thats a good one ! 

how about trapped in a movie theatre ala "Demons" & "Popcorn" !

a few additions:
28 Days Later:  abandoned London, also the fields and ruins
Candyman:  the projects
Lost Boys:  the lair / earthquake sunken hotel
Shining:  the halls, esp the long shot of the hall, empty, then with live twins, then dead twins
Suspiria:  the big open ground where the blind guy gets blindsighted (pun intended) by his dog

I loved the Pet Semetary scene when there walking up the hill to the cemetary in the green fog type stuff...classic King...went great with the movie

The Town that Dreaded Sundown - cool setting of the town atmosphere.

Session 9 in the Asylum called Danvers State Mental Hospital. That was creepy as hell.

Oh and just for those that don't know, it's was a real mental hospital that got torn down.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Danvers_State_Hospital

Last edited by ejaculine (2008-02-08 11:41:14)

ejaculine wrote:

Session 9 in the Asylum called Danvers State Mental Hospital. That was creepy as hell.

Oh and just for those that don't know, it's was a real mental hospital that got torn down.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Danvers_State_Hospital

Yeah I love that film too.

Rose Red - mental hospital in it setting was cool too.

Halloween(1978) - although the film mas made in California the looks of the small fictional town of Haddonfield was really cool.

Actually the original TCM with the sunset in the background as leatherface is spinning around at the end. That's frameable IMO! Also RIP, I definitelt agree about Halloween 4 at the beginning...badass indead.

Northern Iraq in the opening of the Exorcist - in 1973 this scene delivered a whole new, different and seemingly strange culture to the western world enhancing our fears and the feeling of the unknown.

Last edited by Shakingman (2008-02-08 13:05:35)

I love the setting of "The Changeling" in general, it's a beautiful old house but it's a very creepy and atmospheric place as well.

The innocence of Haddonfield streets in the Fall, with M. Myers aka the shape looming in the scenes.

The darkness and seclusion in the original The Hills Have Eyes same type of feeling is captured in Gargoyles (1972) enjoyed that film:)

the strength and determination of the women, mixed with claustraphobic dark cave scenes in The Descent

Creepy mausolem scenes in Phantasm

I love any scene with a kewl black chromed muscle car wink

Class Reunion Massacre - cool school setting in it.

Prom Night(1980) - liked the school atmosphere in it too.

Prophecy(1979) - awesome woods scenery in it.

Actually all the buildings in Argento film particularly Suspiria and Inferno.
The hospital in Death Tunnel (albeit a useless film)

Don't Go in the Woods...Alone - terrible film but has some awesome pretty mountain scenery in it.

Unhinged - terrible slasher film but I like the cool looking mansion in the secluded wooden area.

Hey guys it's my first post tongue

I love the setting in the Fog (original one) and the house in Salem's Lot (again the original) I also have a thing for really fake looking cematerys in old black and white movies and 80's horrors.

Also, and this is not a movie but might still be worth mentioning, I love the way the mansion in the remake of Resident Evil on the game cube looked. So much in fact that sometimes I play it just to escape into the setting tongue

Also to answer eDogg2012, yes I have swam in the ocean at night. It's pretty kewl. I remember my mom telling me years ago that if you swim in the ocean on a clear night with a full moon you come out glowing, but I have yet to try that theroy out.