Topic: Tim Burton 's Sweeney Todd, The demon barber of Fleet Street

So i am sure that most of you already know about Burton's upcomeing flick Sweeney Todd ( http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0408236/ ) It seems like its going to be a twisted little horror flick about a barber (played by the one & only Johnny Depp) who kills his customers, And his close friend works in a bakery, So she makes good use to there scraps ( http://www.crimelibrary.com/serial_kill … dex_1.html ) Check out the truth behind this story & also check out this recent Interview with Burton where he talks about this flick ( http://www.aintitcool.com/node/30438 ) I myself like the way this is sounding, The only thing i am kinda iffy about is it being a musical, Burton has pulled it off well with his animated films, But how well it will work in real life movie form, Share your thoughts.

Last edited by Norrock The Zombie Eater (2006-11-10 00:18:31)

Re: Tim Burton 's Sweeney Todd, The demon barber of Fleet Street

im with you norrock the musical aspect worries me. This was just posted as news now, thanks for the scoopage

I think if anyone can pull it off it will be those two, they are both weird enough to make it work. So far I have been a fan of all things Burton and I will definately have to keep an eye for this one.

I'm not one for musicals but here's hoping Burton's treats his musical numbers similar to the ones in Dead & Breakfast and Shawn of the Dead.

I agree with you guys also the movie sounds like its gonna be great but I'm worried to about it being a musical myself..

Yea I've heard quite a bit but I know Burton too well.. I think this will come off in a rather comical sense.. Probably why I have avoided it for awhile. I'm not looking forward to this movie really at all until I see some positive things from it..

This is really exciting.  I love that story and I also love Burton.  smile  It doesn't get better than that.

I have faith in it because technically Nightmare Before Christmas was a musical... using foam-claymation... but still a "musical" none the less.

Well..should be an intesting mix.  Besides..I will be terrified.

Those of you who have seen my pic on the Pictures thread in General...yeah...I ain't had a haircut in a LONG time.

I guess Burton had to at least do one more flick with Depp involving scissors smile

http://phobos.apple.com/WebObjects/MZSt … p;s=143441

I will never understand why the only use of artifice in films that audiences always complain about is singing in a musical.

I mean, there are songs in commercials, on the radio, we watch music videos (which are practically mini-musicals), so why not in films??

It does not make you "gay" to enjoy a movie musical. It MAY make you a little more enlightened now and then.

As for the movie in question, you guys better just skip this one. It won't be anything like NIGHTMARE BEFORE CHRISTMAS, and certainly nothing like DEAD & BREAKFAST. Yes it will have humor, but of an intelligent and macabre brand.

It's based on a CLASSIC 1979 Broadway Musical/Opera by Stephen Sondheim, who is widely considered the most prolific living composer of the genre. And SWEENEY TODD is considered his masterpiece (or one of, as he's made several).

The show itself is very dark, very dense, non-melodic and discordant, but brilliantly written for setting a mood and emotions of the characters. My true concern here is whether Burton and his regular team of buddies (Depp and Bonham-Carter) will do it justice. But then, I think Tim Burton is the only director who COULD do it right. I just don't think Depp will turn out to be much of a heavy baritone as required for the role.

Basically you guys, it is a musical first-and-foremost, horror/mystery second. If you are the type that fidget in your seats when you have to actually follow a story, without brains being splattered every few seconds, yo'ure in for a big disappointment. Do us all a favor and skip it, so we don't have to see the internet flooded with ignorant comments about how it wasn't bloody enough and the music sucks. The truth will be..."You didn't get it."

I must say 2many, that was quite a little statement there to jump into the site with.  Good to see someone sign up who has the balls to jump right in.  Welcome to the site as I can tell you have a passion, maybe not for all things horror, but definately for Sweeney Todd.

I agree that a musical isnt everyones cup of tea, but at the same time this isnt going to be your mom & pop''s typical musical either which may help it in the long run.  The storyline is something as horror fans that we dont often get to see.  A musical first and foremost with a storyline that revolves around murder.  Ok, so musicals arent everybody's thing, but I dont think everyone will shut it out because it "has a storyline to follow" or because of the music.  Sometimes these things dont appeal to all.  I for one have seen a few horror/musicals and I welcome this film.  I think it will be a much needed breathe of fresh air as it's style will be different and unlike a lot of cookie cutter movies coming out.  Bring it on.

AS for the film itself, I agree that I dont know if Depp can pull this role off.  I know he has done great things for Burton, but is this the sort of role that he may over stretch to try and pull off?  AS for Depp being the heavy baritone like you hope, is he doing the actual singing or is it being dubbed over his lip-syncing during the music parts? 

I assume maybe you found us because of the recent poster we posted.  If not, and you have yet to see it, there is another thread talking about the new poster, and alink to it.  You can find that here: http://www.horror-movies.ca/Forum/viewtopic.php?id=4143

Welcome to the site 2manydvds!! Yeah!!! Great post, keep em coming.
Depp started out singing so he has what it takes for this part, I am ready to enjoy:)
Might I just add here, I am not a long time Depp fan, his talent has grown on me and I see his talent shining:)

Last edited by thedeadshallrule (2007-07-28 08:50:45)

Hey thanks guys!

I thought you'd hate me! I actually am passionate about all things horror, but also all things musical. Both categories in my DVD collection are extensive AND eclectic! Actually, I'm a musical theatre performer myself, so I get pretty defensive of the art form.

From everything I've read about the project, Depp is doing his own singing. Of course, if he wasn't, the studio would just cover it up and say it was his voice anyway as they did with Natalie Wood in WEST SIDE STORY, etc. I know the style of the movie will be right, just not sure about the music. Though, if done properly SWEENEY TODD can be a truly chilling piece of work.

My DVD collection:

http://www.dvdspot.com/member=2manydvds

Welcome 2many and yes that was a good post.:cool:

When Burton falls, he falls hard.  Example - his Batman was just... not... right.  Also, Depp's Wonka was not fun to watch, even if the movie as a whole had a great feel.  I LOVED Sleepy Hollow and am hoping for that general coloring and mood in Sweeney Todd.  We'll see.  I'm predicting huge... success or failure.

Constantce wrote:

When Burton falls, he falls hard.  Example - his Batman was just... not... right.  Also, Depp's Wonka was not fun to watch, even if the movie as a whole had a great feel.  I LOVED Sleepy Hollow and am hoping for that general coloring and mood in Sweeney Todd.  We'll see.  I'm predicting huge... success or failure.

Good points here Constantce!  I had forgotten about Batman, probably because it wasn't a good movie.  Wonka was horrible, but then I have a real soft spot for the earlier version with Gene Wilder playing the lead (I remember my mother taking me to see this in the movie theater when I was very young).

Since, Sweeny Todd, has been in stage theater for many years it should do just fine on the big screen.

I'm still not looking forward to this film.  The musical aspect just throws everything off.  Unfortunately, so does Tim Burton.  I'm not a big fan of the guy.  Only time will tell, but my expectations are low at the moment.

Constantce wrote:

i personally like that batman movie, Will Wonka... not so much... it definately could have been better. but iv ben a big fan of Burton's movies sience i was a little kid, and i will still see this one. im not against musicals at all, in fact a few of my favorites are Cats, Chicago, and Phantom of the Opera, so im not worried about the musical aspect of it. i think thi movie wont do quite as well as what he is hoping for because alot of the American populus dosnt want to see a musical in the theatre, but i think it will be fine.

now as for johnny Depp, i think he cn pull of the role, we allready know he can do creepy and macob stuff ie: Sleepy Hollow, Secret window etc. and we know he an sing because of Corpse Bride. and i agree with deadshallrule, iv not been a longtime Depp fan either, but he has grown on me because of several movie that hes been the main role and iv liked them alot. (see the movies i mentined above as well as the Ninth Gate) i think hey can do it, and if Burton has Danny Elfman as his musical quardinator again (like in most of his movies) then i definately think it will be good.

Tim,  I didn't even think of the Danny Elfman bit.  Dead Man's Party is one of my favorite movie songs ever.  He would definitely do a soundtrack left of center.

Sorry to be a downer guys, but Jonathan Tunick and Paul Gemignani are adapting the music. Burton said in an interview that he felt Danny Elfman wouldn't be able to use his talents to their potential on this project. I'd say that's probably because Stephen Sondheim's music is SO specific and complex that Elfman wouldn't find any room for his own style.

^ thanks for the info!

Doesn't do much for me, but I appreciate you sharing that with us.  big_smile

Yep, can't wait for this one.

Just got this in the mail yesterday.

http://img61.imageshack.us/img61/8396/gho3vr8.jpg