Topic: HELP - Trying to buy a multi region dvd player

I'm trying to buy a multi region free dvd player to watch dvds that are not in american region, but dont understand all the particular features it list like external converter or PAL to NSCT...ETC.
Dont understand what i need in a dvd player to play all region compatibale with american tv and everything else.
Think i found one but not sure heres a link
http://www.dvdoverseas.com/store/index. … dv393.html

Could someone tell me if this is what i need or tell/give examples/or link me to one i need to do all those things, thank u in advance.

Re: HELP - Trying to buy a multi region dvd player

I think once you set your dvd player to either PAL (Region 2 ) or NTSC (Region 1) then you are stuck with it. I am not possitively sure but I don't think you can continuously change it to play varying regions.

Hey Severn i came across these Region Free DVD players and at reasonable prices too:

http://www.regionfreedvd.net/

Here's also one over at amazon.com:
http://www.amazon.com/Philips-DVP642-Di … B000204SWE

Shakingman wrote:

I think once you set your dvd player to either PAL (Region 2 ) or NTSC (Region 1) then you are stuck with it. I am not possitively sure but I don't think you can continuously change it to play varying regions.

Yes u can or there are dvd players that can play all region with no problems, I heard about it from sales person who recommended it when i tried to find one in stores but for some reason they dont sell them in retail stores, only online.

I recommend an Oppo player. Buy direct from them online-region free and play pal as well as ntsc. Also upsamples to 1080 interlaced or progressive depending on the model. I love mine! Good prices too.

fredgarvin wrote:

I recommend an Oppo player. Buy direct from them online-region free and play pal as well as ntsc. Also upsamples to 1080 interlaced or progressive depending on the model. I love mine! Good prices too.

Cool...I'm going to check into this - there are some amazing PAL box sets I'd like to own that you just can't get in North America!

I picked up a Phillipps DVD player at Wal-Mart for 60 bucks, and it plays NTSC, PAL, avi, DivX  and mpg.  You can flip back and forth between NTSC and PAL; none of that "once you pick you one you can't go back" crap.

So many to pick from, hopefully i can get one pretty cheap.
Thanks all for recommending some, now to pick one.

Shakingman wrote:
fredgarvin wrote:

Cool...I'm going to check into this - there are some amazing PAL box sets I'd like to own that you just can't get in North America!

Yeah, like the Hellraiser puzzle box set and the Phantasm set with the flying ball and Phantasm two...I've picked up alot of stuff you can't get in ntsc...Vampire Circus etc.

I tried the RJ 1900 from http://www.multiregiondvdplayers.net and have not had any problems playing any of my Chinese DVDs.

Ratcher wrote:

I tried the RJ 1900 from http://www.multiregiondvdplayers.net and have not had any problems playing any of my Chinese DVDs.

OK i went ahead and bought this, hopefully this is all i need and it was a pretty damn good price. I went ahead and went a little mad and bought some region 2 dvds like

TCM Cardboard Cut Chainsaw Edition dvd
Friday the 13th uncut with commentary
Deep Star Six 2disc edition
Daughter of Darkness

Thanks for the link Ratcher.

i bought the Oppo a couple years back and it is incredible. Not only is the system capable of playing just about anything you throw at it, the ability to upconvert the picture makes for some awesome near-HD visuals.

To top it off, the service is the best I've ever encountered. My first system had a glitch, so I contacted the company and within less than 4 days, I had a delivery guy on my doorstep with a new machine, no questions asked. This is even more impressive considering I live in Alberta, Canada and Oppo is in California.

BlackDeathDamien wrote:

Here's also one over at amazon.com:
http://www.amazon.com/Philips-DVP642-Di … B000204SWE

That's the one I use. Works like a charm. If you go over to HKflix, you can find a bunch of stuff about PAL players, multi region, region free, etc.

Best of luck.

severen, where did you pick up your region 2 DVDs?  I just shove my region 3 DVDs into the player and they play.  Don't need to configure anything.

Ratcher wrote:

severen, where did you pick up your region 2 DVDs?  I just shove my region 3 DVDs into the player and they play.  Don't need to configure anything.

I got it from www.exploitedcinema.com which sells all sorts of dvds from around the world. Theres plenty of dvds i already have for region 1 but theres some region 2 dvds of the same movie i have that dont have the same special features or none for the region 1 dvds. Like some have commentary track for region 2 and not on the region 1 dvd that i have but i'm the kind of person that loves special features. IMO a dvd without special features isn't a dvd.

Last edited by severen (2008-06-06 17:33:44)

Yes Definitely get an OPPO,my friends and I have had them for a few years now and work FANTASTIC,can't go wrong with these players.

How well do these usually look on HDTVs? I only have one player that looks good on my TV, so I'm worried about going region free and then having crappy picture.

Aren't most R2 discs about 20-25 bucks?