Topic: horror movie director

Hey i have something to ask u guys and b4 i telll u im really 15 and in love with horror movies and when i grow up i wanna try to make it as a horror movie director and i tired to make a movie 2 times but it didnt work so im writing a script to a short movie to finally launch my career and my friends arent the kind that wanna b in a movie so im trying to find peopel that would like to b in a horror movie i dont have a date but hopefully sumone willl help out i live in PA so leave some feedback on this its kool if u dont wanna im just goin around asking for a lil help thanks

Re: horror movie director

Just say your last name is Romero, and that it's a Zombie Flick.  They'll line up for days! big_smile

yea thanks for the idea and actally i debating on rather a zombie movie or serial killer movie

i am in the process of finishing a script for a horror short film and am actually helping a friend with the lighting and sound for a dramatic short he is filming the first weekend of December. I live in CA so i can't really help you physically but if you have any questions I can maybe help and if you want a second opinion of you script you can email it to me and I will read it over. it's hard to get help or get started when you have no expierence whatsoever. The one thing I can say is look for an uncommon theme for your movie, there are thousands of zombie and serial killer films being made every day, if your going to do zombies find a different angle that a lonly band of survivors being chased by a horde of zombies, been there, seen that a 1000 times, if you go the serial killer route, again pick something that maybe reverses the roles, make the killer the good guy, or likeable at least. Again my email is in my profile and anything I can do to help let me know, I am by no means a director myself but am working my ass off to become one. Good luck buddy.

thanks hard2kill for the ideas

im not a director or a screenplay writer, (although there is a book that i want to write a screenplay for) but i am a writer. im 16 and live in MO so like hard2kill, i cant help u personally, but i can offer some advice. and also like hard2kill said, go at whatever ur doing at a different angle than everyone else. im writing a sci-fi horror book rite now, and im trying to combine mutants and aliens. just think of all of your inspiration for your writing and try to change it around and look at it in a different light.
for example, if you look at the origional star wars trilogy (not horror, but one of my fav movies) if you look at it from the viewpoint of the empire, the rebels are trying to overthrow the government and destroy everything that you've worked for. in this viepoint the "enemies" are the good guys and its a totally different perspective on the movie.
jst try to find something new and go at a new angle.

I am more or less trying to write a horror novel, or at least I am trying to start one.  I live in IA so I wouldn't be able to help you with acting and I wouldn't know how to grade a script so don't send it to me.  My advice though is that you should look at what you like about horror movies and incorporate that into your film.  Like Hard2Kill mentioned, try a new angle no one has used.  I would also say that when doing such a movie, you should watch zombie and serial killer flicks to decide which sub-genre you would have more fun working with.  Either way it is a lot of work, but you should try to have as much fun as possible.

Myself and some classmates of mine tried to get our own zombie pic off the ground...the one thing that kept us outta it was scheduals.

But, being in VA and in the middle of school sorry I can't help you with my own hands. 

But, here is my piece of advice:

Take a subgenre you love and do something completly different. 

I completely agree with Deathgate, tell it from a completely different viewpoint.  For a serial killer, show the serial killer's side as they decide, stalk, plan, stalk and finally slay their horny teenger prey.  Or for a zombie story...as strange as it sounds...tell it from the viewpoint of a zombie. 

Combinations and switches like that are almost infinite.  Even just the slightest tweak in the idea stage can bring forth and entirly new and unique story. 

A tweak in story example: In Dominion: Prequel to the Exorcist, the possession doesn't destory and break down the body of the possessed, instead it makes it stronger and more prefect.  That alone made me want to watch it, flipping the whole concept of what a poession is in the mindset of auidences after seeing The Exorcist and countless rip off.

So, thats my advice.  Take something that people know and love and tweak it in the story and concept phase, not a whole bunch but just enough to give you your own unique product.

I also recommend FILMMAKING FOR DUMMIES.  Got lots of good advice like if you can't pay your actors, at least promise them food like chips, crackers, sodas, some finger sandwiches etc.

Last edited by thegoldensimatar (2006-11-13 21:19:44)

Another thing you can do is find a movie you like and dowload the script to it and read it. See how they wrote it, how they directed the camera, look at the rewrites for the dialog and look at what changes they made during filming it may help you avoid those same traps in either point of view or dialog.

ok koool thanks alot guys

You may want to start a myspace group for your project and have an open call for help in your area. Your age and inexperience are going to work against you, so you will probably be limited in the talent pool you can get. Once you get a script and title create a page for it on IMDB and then promise to have those that help with it listed on the page. Being 15 I doubt you have much capital to invest in it, so this may help attract some people that aren't your friends. Finally, don't listen to naysayers and critics, stay dedicated and make the best picture that you can.

Last edited by Greg (2006-11-14 16:05:19)