Topic: Your thoughts on Oldboy ending (SPOILERS)

(SPOILERS THIS TOPIC WILL REVEAL THE ENDING SO PLEASE DO NOT CONTINUE READING THIS TOPIC, REVERT BACK, ENTER AT YOUR OWN RISK)

I watch this movie and had alot to think about especially the very end when Oldboy went to the hypnoses chick to try to forget the truth about u know screwing his daughter. In the very end when he's hugging her he put this face on thats hard to tell if he remembers still or he's just happy to see her. I cant really tell but i think he still knows everything.
Whats your interpetation on it?

Re: Your thoughts on Oldboy ending (SPOILERS)

i think he remembers everything.  i loved this movie but when i found out the woman was his daughter i was kinda grossed out.

I gotta rewatch the movie so i can give you my thoughts about it. It's been a while since i have seen this movie last.

Yeah, I think that he still knew everything at that point.  One of the most twisted endings I have every seen.  It is hard to even fathom having to face that kind of realization.

I think he still rememberred eating that live squid in the restaurant and he was still grossed out about it lol.:lol:

I LOVED Oldboy! Very twisted and dark, but then again, aren't we on a horror forum? For me, I actually am not sure on how I feel about the ending, I don't remember the "face" he makes that you mention, mabye I should just watch it again hmm

Great movie.  I love the collectors tin.  One of the best Christmas presents I ever got.  I really think he remebers.  It wouldn't be the same kind of movie to me if he didn't.

the5thdroog wrote:

Great movie.  I love the collectors tin.  One of the best Christmas presents I ever got.  I really think he remebers.  It wouldn't be the same kind of movie to me if he didn't.

Totally agree, I think he remembers too and thats what makes it so crazy.  But the ending is definately open for interpretation.

Huge fan of the film.  Love it.  He remembers.  Trust me.  I know these things.  tongue

TiM the Zombie wrote:

Huge fan of the film.  Love it.  He remembers.  Trust me.  I know these things.  tongue

You know these things huh?  So it's not horror, but if you know things can you tell me what Bill Murray whispered to Scareltt Johannsen at the end of Lost in Translation?  Love the movie but that bugged the crap out of me.....

lol

I loved this film. The other two films in the trilogy were great as well.

skfan wrote:

Whoa theres a trilogy, i did'nt know about that. Gotta check that out.

severen wrote:
skfan wrote:

Whoa theres a trilogy, i did'nt know about that. Gotta check that out.

I was especially surprised with Lady Vengeance out of the other two.

^ Yeah the Vengence trilogy.  The other two films are Sympathy for Mr Vengence and Sympathy for Lady Vengence.  All by Chan-wook Park

jmh314 wrote:

^ Yeah the Vengence trilogy.  The other two films are Sympathy for Mr Vengence and Sympathy for Lady Vengence.  All by Chan-wook Park

Heard of the Lady Vengence but had no clue it was part of a trilogy. Are any of them as good as Oldboy or almost to give it a watch?

Watch all three.  They are all quite good in their own ways.  I pesoanlly likes Lady Vengence a little more than Mr Vengence, but both are definately worth a view.

Cool, i'll give the others a try.

Yeah I highly recommend them. Don't expect another Oldboy though...all three films have very different feels to them but they all deal with revenge.

Oldboy had the most crazy and twisted ending i have ever seen! if your jaw does not drop on the floor, you have problems! tongue anyways i also think he remembers.....about the trilogy i liked Sympathy for Mr. Vengence alot, it was an awsome film almost up there with Oldboy imo

imo he knows and thats Woo-Jin Lee ultimate revenge on Oh-Dae-su. now Oh-Dae-su understands a taboo and forbided love that he exposed so many years before. the first time i watched oldboy i was seeing it as a revenge story for Oh-Dae-su, but by the end i realized that the revenge was for Woo-Jin Lee's loss of a sister and lover. what, who, why, and how we love someone is all relative (pun intended tongue). and now Oh-Dae-su must live w/ what hes done and will continue to do.

jmh314 wrote:
TiM the Zombie wrote:

You know these things huh?  So it's not horror, but if you know things can you tell me what Bill Murray whispered to Scareltt Johannsen at the end of Lost in Translation?  Love the movie but that bugged the crap out of me.....

lol

If you really want to know what he says to her, read the screenplay.  Honestly, the movie's better the way it is, where you don't hear what they say, because what he does say, in the script, is pretty banal and would have actually ruined that moment of the film. 

As for Old Boy, DID NOT see that twist coming.  Holy shit, man...what a great fuckin' movie!  Those Koreans are doing some fantastic work in the exploitation genre these last several years.

jmh314 wrote:
TiM the Zombie wrote:

lol

Don't waste my time with CRAP.  tongue

But if you must know...

Bill Murray whispered...

What's that, babe!?

Sorry guys, I gotta go.  My girl needs a spankin'.

*runs away*

I thought oldboy was great, i guess im in the minority here but i did see the twist coming earlier on when they were doing the whole flashbacks of forbidden love etc, so what would be the most forbidden love for him? after that it all fell into place.

I started to predict it when they showed the wings almost out of it case. And when oldboy press the pencil thing to kill him it reveal to be an audio of him and his daughter doin the bad deed. That was just fucked up and a huge kick to the face.

The funny thing is that i just watched this movie tonight and what the funny part is that this was actually in fact my first time seeing it and i gotta say this movie rules. This movie kicks so much ass. So now onto my thoughts aboutt he ending. It is truly fucked up that what he had done to his own daughter. But he didn't even know it was his very own flesh and blood. I guess for the reason being was for the fact of how screwed up he was and what he had gone through for 15 years in isolation. Trapped like a rat and with that he had forgotten about the wrong he had done. Also, the fact that maybe also she was to young for him to realize that it was his daughter or something like that. But then as soon as he found out that it was his very own flesh and blood was truly messed up. The way how she was revealed being his daughter was just wrong. I guess the one guy knew the entire time that she was his daughter and was manipulating him the entire time throughout the movie. So then now when it comes to the very end when he is hugging his daughter and she says that she loves him and he has that grin on his face. How i see it is that he knew deep down now that she was now his daughter and can't believe he has a daughter. But he just couldn't tell her the truth, leaving that huge bourden on her.