Topic: Bret Easton Ellis' The Informers

Undead Removed From The Informers:
Vampires, Zombies stripped from American Psycho author's new movie

The much-anticipated film adaptation of American Psycho author Bret Easton Ellis' 1995 novel 'The Informers' - about the undead lurking among the beautiful but empty denizens of 80s LA - will not contain any vampires or zombies

In some countries, such as France, the book was even released under the title 'Zombies', and makes the omission extremely surprising. When Superman star Brandon Routh was cast it was even announced by the studio that he would play the lead vampire from the book.

However, Jon Foster who plays Graham, the son of a Hollywood movie exec (Billy Bob Thornton) has made the shocking revelation that there are no creatures from the dead in director Gregor Jordon's upcoming adaptation.

"There are no more vampires. They took the vampires out. There are no zombies or monsters either," he announces. "This is more about the narcissistic side of people's characters. God knows why they took the vampire characters out. I can't say if I was pleased or displeased, that is just the way it is."

The Informers has a stellar cast, in addition to Kim Bassinger playing Foster's mother, Mickey Rourke, Amber Heard and Winona Ryder have roles in the story that takes place in Los Angeles in 1983. It is also the last film that will feature Brad Renfro who died after a drug overdose in January.

Author Bret Easton Ellis has co-written the screenplay with Nicolas Jarecki and it seems that Ellis has taken heed of all the criticism that the book received when it first came out that revolved around his decision to put vampires into the tale. This is the third adaptation of an Ellis novel following American Psycho and The Rules of Attraction.

Re: Bret Easton Ellis' The Informers

Hang on a sec... I didn't know this book existed.  It appears I'll be shelving 7 Steps to Midnight and taking a side trip with this one.  Thanks, BDD.

An interesting cast of actors on the down side of their carreers but with veteran talent should make it an interesting film.

This would actually be the fourth Ellis book adaptation: he also wrote the book the film Less Than Zero was based on.

Constantce wrote:

Hang on a sec... I didn't know this book existed.  It appears I'll be shelving 7 Steps to Midnight and taking a side trip with this one.  Thanks, BDD.

Oh no problem at all Constantce. Anytime.

fredgarvin wrote:

An interesting cast of actors on the down side of their carreers but with veteran talent should make it an interesting film.

Yeah this actually does have some promise to it. It sounds very interesting especially with the cast line-up. I can't wait to see how this unfolds and looks.

LoudLon wrote:

This would actually be the fourth Ellis book adaptation: he also wrote the book the film Less Than Zero was based on.

Hmmm that's interesting. To be honest, i've only heard of American Psycho by him and that's it. I think i'm gonna have to pick up The Informers and give it a read and then from there have more of my opinions heard on how i feel about this being made into a movie.

Ive read a few of his novels, and prefer them to the movies obviously, but i didnt know how this one could escape me for so long AND have zombies in it?

survivalist wrote:

Ive read a few of his novels, and prefer them to the movies obviously, but i didnt know how this one could escape me for so long AND have zombies in it?

I hear ya on that. But for myself i actually never read any of his books. But i am actually going to start especially with this book b/c anything with vampires and zombies is a must read for me. But it's kind of wierd how they would take out the vampires and the zombies from the movie if they are in the book. Hmmmm. I don't know. But i guess there is only one way to find out and that is to actually pick this book up and read it.

BDD you HAVE to read american psycho, the book is so much more twisted and evil then the movie could ever be without an X rating.

i totally recommend that book out of anything else ive read from him.

survivalist wrote:

BDD you HAVE to read american psycho, the book is so much more twisted and evil then the movie could ever be without an X rating.

Hmmmm very nice. Yeah i've heard the samething from a couple other members here on HM but never actually read it. I have only seen the movie which actually has been years since i last seen the movie. But i will definitely be picking the book up for damn sure.

survivalist wrote:

i have to agree, that books is amazing and very fucked up. so much better than the movie.

The book can be a little dry at times. because there are more long monologues then in the movie, his attention to minutia is at times difficult to get through.

but at the same time it feels more satisfying at the end then the movie ever did.

yeah, true. but i'm still confused as to wether he killed them or not.

The Informers is a pretty great collection of stories.  I have to say its interesting that they have omitted the horror aspect, although it wasn't that big a part of the plots to begin with (well it was with one of them.)

Kill The Firstborn wrote:

yeah, true. but i'm still confused as to wether he killed them or not.

Honestly KTFB, my take on it is this, he MAY have killed a couple of people, but definitely most of the story and his murderous exploits were imaginary.

part of the story is sheer parody of the 80s mindset i believe, his (everyones?) obsession to have the newest, biggest, fastest toys to show off in some sort of status symbol pissing contest.

i think its very important to understand batemans self hatred, and his extreme hatred of those like him.
add in the various drugs illegal and prescribed to him and thats what makes him snap, creating this explicit murder world is the constant struggle to fit in against his will because its what everyone else is doing.

everyone around him are all clones,they all get the same haircut and glasses to blend in with this GQ illusion presented to us as a society, an example heavily emphasized by his "murder" of paul allen, when everyone else still sees allen alive around town etc.

so while he probably killed someone, most likely the homeless or prostitutes who are sure not to be noticed missing, i believe the rest of his killings were sheer wishful fantasies.

No Vampires! No Zombiez! what a shame what a shame.
I have never read any of his works, but in the Psycho film I felt that it was all in his head. And that is the scariest thought of all.