Topic: Problem with Suspiria

Ok, I'm not a big fan of Italian horror first off, but there are a lot I do find interesting and enjoy.  I have seen a lot of Bava and love Blood and Black Lace and The Girl who knew too much, and i also liked Zombie and the beyond.

But i can't stand Suspiria

I don't know if its the fact that I haven't seen it in a few years, maybe I just didn't get it, I don't know.

I'm not looking for a fight, i'm not trying to piss anyone off

I just need help understanding why this movie is great for a reason besides the color palate

please help me like this movie

Re: Problem with Suspiria

I doubt I can make you like it, but I to found it a bit overrated as well.  I understand the style of the film was beautiful, and the kills were good, but when people say that the movie is amazing, I cannot aree with them. I just found it not living up to its rep, but that isn't to say that I didn't enjoy the movie.

Re: Problem with Suspiria

I admit it does have some flaws like the acting and screenplay. But for me the mood of it and the lighting/cinematography/art direction of the film makes it beautiful IMO and that can keep me memorized by it and interested in it. Also the score really helps and alot of people love it and say it really helped the film along with it color palette. Also for the people into gore in the horror community, the first scene is one of the most popular death scene and in most all Argento movies especially Suspiria he puts the gore in gorgeous. Its like one of those good looking pictures with flaws but its not enough to ruin taste of it.
So don't beat ur self up over why u cant understand why Suspiria is popular, not everyone like it too.

Re: Problem with Suspiria

I have loved this movie since I first saw it and time has not lessened that love at all.
I love the colours, the intensity, the music (which was a major part of that intensity) especially if you are lucky enough to be sitting in a surround sound cinema. I thought Jessica was beautiful in it. The architecture was so gothic and the forest in the rain, intense. The imagery is so clear that as I sit here I can see the movie. Unlike a lot of films that fade after time. The deaths where graphic and bloody and they made one hold ones breath. The maggots covering the floor where creepy and made you itch Ugh! I like the acting and the choice of actors (which Argento has used a few times). The blind man standing in that piazza was frightening and you knew something was going to happen but you did not know what. All in all this was a wonderful scary creepy colourful masterpiece.
And the soundtrack is great for listening to in the car

Re: Problem with Suspiria

ill have to rewatch this again then ill comment on it properly.

Re: Problem with Suspiria

Mabye thats it, mabye I should watch it again, seeing as it has been a couple years since I have seen it haha

Re: Problem with Suspiria

first of all I want to say thank you to everyone who posted for not making me feel stupid for asking the question.

Second I think I need to watch it again.  It is a beautiful film and I do recognize its place in the history of horror, I just don't get why its argentos masterpiece.  I don't know maybe I just don't prefer it as much as Tenebre and Trauma.

Re: Problem with Suspiria

Suspiria is artwork on film, Horror artwork, I have always enjoyed and appreciated this movie, the soundtrack with Goblin is awesome. I first saw this movie in the theatre and audience reaction was PEAK, screaming and gasping. LOVE it, wish a movie could affect the theatre audience like that now/:D

Re: Problem with Suspiria

Mood, atmosphere, directing, music and effects are just a few of the reasons this is one of the greatest horror films ever made. Argento's direction in this film was easily the best work he ever did and the film proved that you didn't need the gritty dark look of a film like TCM to be scary. The art design was breath taking as well. Honestly I find it hard to believe someone couldn't like this film but then again I remember back in the day when some people on here were saying the original Dawn of the Dead was shit tongue

Re: Problem with Suspiria

well why dont you watch it again, with a clean slate. forget all you remember of the movie and how you dont like it. just pop it in your dvd player and enjoy.

Re: Problem with Suspiria

Alot of the films today look as if they are made for people with ADD. Fast cuts, mindless music and very shallow characterisation along with constantly explaining everything, just in case we are 13 year old idiots. It has had an effect on audiences that I think hurts the art of filmmaking. Susperia is quite the opposite of that mentality. Things are not explained fully, the pacing is deliberate and builds to false climaxes. However, you say you enjoy Bava and other Argento efforts so this thinking may not apply in your case.

Re: Problem with Suspiria

Its pure eyecandy...no depth of plot.  I enjoy watching it but only when in the right mood for it...

Re: Problem with Suspiria

fredgarvin wrote:

Alot of the films today look as if they are made for people with ADD. Fast cuts,

Thats one of the problems i had with the new DOTD 04, the opening and closing credits had me feeling nauseous, i hate that mtv style of bullshit editing.

Re: Problem with Suspiria

Fred I give you a standing ovation;)

Re: Problem with Suspiria

I cannot imagine listening to this soundtrack anywhere but in the context of the movie.  It would be like taking twelve steps outside reality. 

Poppa, you presented the topic in a great way, not at all with fists up.  I feel like an english teacher saying this, but you really set the stage for a healthy debate.  Thank you!

Re: Problem with Suspiria

Poppascotch wrote:

Ok, I'm not a big fan of Italian horror first off, but there are a lot I do find interesting and enjoy.  I have seen a lot of Bava and love Blood and Black Lace and The Girl who knew too much, and i also liked Zombie and the beyond.

But i can't stand Suspiria

I don't know if its the fact that I haven't seen it in a few years, maybe I just didn't get it, I don't know.

I'm not looking for a fight, i'm not trying to piss anyone off

I just need help understanding why this movie is great for a reason besides the color palate

please help me like this movie

Well I actually hate that movie. Maybe I have the personality of an 13 year old idiot like somebody said but I still found this movie boring beyond belief. If I want to watch art, I'll go to a museum. When I watch a movie, I want to be entertained. I watch a lot of movies, different kind of movies and usually even the really bad ones, I can find redeeming qualities. It pisses off my girlfriend that I like almost every movie I listen too or at least don't find them horrible like she does. But I watched it on 3 occasions because people keep calling it a classic and I'm trying to find something in it. I just can't.... I didnt even like the death scenes. Okay the music is good for the setting but that wont make me watch a movie. The story doesnt seem to lead anywere, the acting is pretty aweful, I just can't stand it. I'm not trying to offend anybody, these are just my opinions. We all have different taste in horror movies, this is just not in my cup of tea.

Re: Problem with Suspiria

ejaculine wrote:
Poppascotch wrote:

Ok, I'm not a big fan of Italian horror first off, but there are a lot I do find interesting and enjoy.  I have seen a lot of Bava and love Blood and Black Lace and The Girl who knew too much, and i also liked Zombie and the beyond.

But i can't stand Suspiria

I don't know if its the fact that I haven't seen it in a few years, maybe I just didn't get it, I don't know.

I'm not looking for a fight, i'm not trying to piss anyone off

I just need help understanding why this movie is great for a reason besides the color palate

please help me like this movie

Well I actually hate that movie. Maybe I have the personality of an 13 year old idiot like somebody said but I still found this movie boring beyond belief. If I want to watch art, I'll go to a museum. When I watch a movie, I want to be entertained. I watch a lot of movies, different kind of movies and usually even the really bad ones, I can find redeeming qualities. It pisses off my girlfriend that I like almost every movie I listen too or at least don't find them horrible like she does. But I watched it on 3 occasions because people keep calling it a classic and I'm trying to find something in it. I just can't.... I didnt even like the death scenes. Okay the music is good for the setting but that wont make me watch a movie. The story doesnt seem to lead anywere, the acting is pretty aweful, I just can't stand it. I'm not trying to offend anybody, these are just my opinions. We all have different taste in horror movies, this is just not in my cup of tea.

I'll bet 13 yo idiots have all different kinds of personalities and you don't have to be one to have your own opinion. I think it's a good thing you have your own opinion and  express it. We all have our own tastes and I say, stand up for your own. I like to hear other perspectives because sometimes mine are a little off and need adjustment.

18

Re: Problem with Suspiria

I absolutely love Suspiria and have the Limited Edition 3 disc set of it. It's my fave Dario Argento film and my fave italian horror film. I have it in my top 10 horror films of all time list.

I loved the plot of the witches coven in the ballet school, the awesome music by Gblin in it, the beautiful setting, the photography of colors in it, the kills in it(especially the first 2 girls killed in it), etc....

Last edited by RIP (2008-04-09 19:55:42)

Re: Problem with Suspiria

Theres only one thing I don't like about Suspiria and thats..... the color of the blood. It's just too fake looking. Other than that I love watching it. The movie is mainly about witches and an innocent girl trying to get in too deep trying to figure it out and that sets it all up. Yea the music is a major part no doubt about it.

Re: Problem with Suspiria

Yea I feel like what someone else said above me and I really can't see what people don't like about it.. This is one of the films that just captures lightning in a bottle. This film is an experience.. It plays like a really twisted fairy tale.. You just soak it in..

Re: Problem with Suspiria

Your right Goon, it's an experience that should never be missed.

22

Re: Problem with Suspiria

Besides the first 2 kills in it, I liked the one where the blind guy gets eaten by his own dog lol.

Re: Problem with Suspiria

The soundtrack does stand up on its own and listening to it in the car, especially on the way home from work at 11pm is awesome and puts me in a good mood after a hard and tiring slog. Magic!

Re: Problem with Suspiria

Cemetarygirl wrote:

The soundtrack does stand up on its own and listening to it in the car, especially on the way home from work at 11pm is awesome and puts me in a good mood after a hard and tiring slog. Magic!

Thats one of the best soundtracks ever and I agree with ya, it a great moody piece

Re: Problem with Suspiria

Cemetarygirl wrote:

I have loved this movie since I first saw it and time has not lessened that love at all.
I love the colours, the intensity, the music (which was a major part of that intensity) especially if you are lucky enough to be sitting in a surround sound cinema. I thought Jessica was beautiful in it. The architecture was so gothic and the forest in the rain, intense. The imagery is so clear that as I sit here I can see the movie. Unlike a lot of films that fade after time. The deaths where graphic and bloody and they made one hold ones breath. The maggots covering the floor where creepy and made you itch Ugh! I like the acting and the choice of actors (which Argento has used a few times). The blind man standing in that piazza was frightening and you knew something was going to happen but you did not know what. All in all this was a wonderful scary creepy colourful masterpiece.
And the soundtrack is great for listening to in the car

CG summed up my exact feelings for this movie !!! big_smile