Topic: Action/Adventure Movies

I get the cravings for some hard action movies once in awhile. I like to watch the bang them ups, and shot them down flicks. I like to root for the good guys, and yes, even the bad guys once in awhile. Cars that blow up, trains the crash into buildings, people surviving at all cause can leave my heart pumping for more.

Below are my most favorite, most watched action/adventure movies. I didn't include my favorite war or westerns though.

In no specific order:

1: 48 Hours 1982
Starring Nick Nolte and Eddie Murphy
I haven't met anyone who hasn't seen this movie yet. It has the just right touch of humor in it with the perfect car crashes, knocking people down with fists and sarcastic cops. Murphy plays the perfect conman for this movie. He has the right touch of class that Nolte gets irked up with. I liked the second movie, but not as well as the first, besides any movie with Murphy screeching out Roxanne has got to be a hit!

2: Escape From Alcatraz 1979
Starring Clint Eastwood
Anything with Eastwood is great, I liked him from Dirty Harry to his comedy Every Which Way But Loose, but this movie I think is one of his best. (besides the westerns which I am leaving out)His role in this movie was a show of his harsh side and his good side. He was younger in this movie and his body showed it. (ok, the female in me salivated over him)
This movie has been redone many times over but I think this movie is one of the better Alcatraz movies. It has a very powerful script behind it, and a fantastic actor.

3: Nighthawks 1981
Starring Sylvestor Stallone
I was not a Rocky fan, but I like Stallone in his cop movies. Plus that beard, (again that old female hormone kicking in). But this movie had more then just a bearded Stallone, it had suspense, a great villian, and a fantastic ending. The ending is what keeps me returning to this movie when I spot it on tv. As many times as I saw this movie, that ending has got to be one of the most brilliant for an action packed movie. Also the villianous acts in this movie start right from the beginning in that ski lift that gets the viewers blood to start pumping right away...is he or isnt he. This is a must see if you never caught it before.

4: Runaway Train 1972
Starring Jon Voight, Eric Roberts and Rebecca DeMornay
I caught this movie at a drive in when I was in my teens and instantly fell in love with it. It is the best train action movie out there to this day. The suspense keeps you going, and the tension between the characters are well developed. I don't think this movie could have been any better cast either. The three actors named above is what really kept this movie going with their high conflicting personalities in the movie. One of my all time favorites in my private library of action movies.

5: Fugitive 1993
Starring Harrison Ford and Tommy lee Jones
Two of my favorite actors and one of my favorite older movies redone. I still cannot figure out why there isn't more movies with these two actors together. They were perfect opponents in this film. If you have never seen the older Fugitive, may I recommend viewing the older version then catching the newer one right afterwards. This film also has one of my favorite bus/train wrecks ever. Great script, great acting and wow plot-line. You will be surprised at who the real villian is.

6: Face Off 1997
Starring Nicholas Cage and John Travolta
This movie hit me in the guts hard. it had such a twist of fate in it that I think this is one of the best movies these two actors ever did. The whole concept of walking in the other man's shoes takes a whole different step in this movie. Between the high conflict of the two opposing characters, you also get the family conflict. The prison is highly original in this movie. Plus during one scene you get the idea of "face off" means. This is a must see for any action packed fan.

7: Murder at 1600 1997
Starring Wesley Snipes
Snipes has made some great movies in the pass, but this movie hits my top ten. He plays such a calm man in this movie till he is pushed that you are drawn into his character. This is also the only second White Houe murder mystery movie that the killing is never shown, only hinted at. It has a bit of that mystery mixed in with action that it is really well done. I recently caught this one on video and I plan to rewatch it again in the near future.

8: 1492-Conquest of Paradise 1992
Starring Gerad Depardieu and Signourney Weaver
This movie was based on Columbus and his battle to get to the Indies, which ended up US. The acting in this movie was over the top. The setting, the costumes, the music. There wasn't one thing about this movie I didn't like. It showed what Columbus might have been like if you read outside of the History books. I think this movie is close to one of my top three. This is the first movie I think I have seen the two above actors in and I think they matched up very well.

9: Sea Gypsies 1978
Starring Robert Logan
This is not a well known movie but it is very well done if you can find it. I will touch bases on this movie since many don't know anything about it. This story is set on an island, Aleotian, near Alaska in the mist of Winter brewing with five survivors of a shipwreck. They are in danger of the wild life and the cold. They will stop at nothing to escape and to survive. The conflicts between the characters makes this movie heart stopping. You will find yourself yelling at the screen for so and so to look out or be careful. The scenery is beautiful in this movie also. The beginning is filled with blood rushing action so be be prepared to be clinching your fist throughout this movie.

10: Warrior Queen 1985
Starring Sybil Danning and Donald Pleasence
A Roman warrior woman fights to capture a girl in a brothel. That tells the whole story there. Actually it is really a well done movie. I think it tops Conan and Red Sonja. I like the idea of a woman being the hero in this film. You do get a few sappy screaming women, but the warrior women outtops them with her flashing sword fighting. The costumes in this movie are fantastic. The forests are beautiful and the acting is well developed. If you are in the nature for an medi-evil action packed movie, this is the one to see.

Of course there are other movies that come close to these, Conan, Red Sonja, General's Daughter, Warriors, Red Hand. But I haven't seen them as much as the ones above. (exception Murder at 1600) From Warrior women to train crashes, these are the movies to find and see.

Re: Action/Adventure Movies

Lethal Weapon
Die Hard
Last Boy Scout
Beverly Hills Cop
Hot Fuzz
El Mariachi/Desperado/Once Upon a Time in Mexico
True Lies
Bourne Trilogy
Just about any James Bond movie

I'm with you about Runaway Train, I thought it was very good. Somehow it pissed off the critics though. I'd throw in Heat, and Collateral. Michael Mann is a top rank director.
Ronin and 52 Pick Up, from Frankenheimer.
Sorcerer, with Roy Scheider and To live and Die in LA. Both directed by Friedkin.
Sorcerer is a gem that few have seen. It is a makeover of The Wages of Fear and gets gritty.

True Romance, Taxi Driver, Heat, Escape from NY and Robocop to name a few.

Indiana Jones big_smile

Air Force One
Rambo 2
Desperado
Terminator 2
Die Hard 2
Lethal Weapon 2
The Rock
Face Off
Hot Fuzz
Equilibrium

Hey Severan, not knockin you but did you really like all those sequels: Rambo, terminator, lethal weapon better than the originals?

ravenbroom wrote:

4: Runaway Train 1972.

Actually it was 1985, otherwise i would have pulled a quantum leap seeing it lol.

heres a few choices of mine, while maybe not hard in the gritty sense, they pack plenty of action.

pointbreak
ong bak  (tony jaa is the man!)
kickboxer
the killer or hard boiled (pretty much any of john woo`s asian films)
raiders of the lost ark
the warriors
showdown in little tokyo
the professional
almost any bruce lee or chuck norris film

Dig the Professional and I am all over Bruce and Chuck. They rule, Seagall's movies are not so good, but he is a hell of a martial artist.

Rambo: First Blood
Die Hard
Raiders of the Lost Ark
Saving Private Ryan
Escape from New York
Terminator
The Bourne Ultamatuim
The Bourne Identity
Pirates of the Caribbean

Kung Fu Hussle
Bond first six and last one
Lethal Weapon
Tomb Raiders (mostly the first)
Early Chuck Norris
Indiana Jones
Dirty Harry Movies
Hot Fuzz
Exterminator the first one
The Rock
Scorpion King
Pirates of the Caribbean
Ong Bak
Dogs of War
Jet Li Movies (almost all)
Die Hard quadrilogy
Bronx Warriors 1 and 2
Transporter both
Crank

I forgot, I love all the Bruce Lee Kung-Fu movies

fredgarvin wrote:

Hey Severan, not knockin you but did you really like all those sequels: Rambo, terminator, lethal weapon better than the originals?

Never really saw the first Rambo, Lethal Weapon i like slightly better than the first but the first did had a better final fight scene, Die Hard 2 i thought was a little better, Never saw the first El Marh. only saw Desperado and the 3rd( i thought the thrid sucked) and Terminator 2 was definetly better than the first. So half of it because i picked the sequel because i never saw the first and T2 was hands down better than the first. Terminator was real good for its budget but u gotta admit T2 blew it away. Also these was the only ones i can think at the top of my head and i know theres better ones if i remembered.

Last edited by severen (2008-04-16 23:27:50)

In no particular order...

The Rock
Midway
the Indiana Jones movies
the Dirty Harry series
The Warriors
Die Hard With a Vengeance
Gone in 60 Seconds
Convoy
National Treasure
Underworld

Here's some of my fave action/adventure:

A Bittersweet Life
Apocalypto
Bad Boys (Sean Penn)
Bad Boys II
Batman
Batman Begins
Black Hawk Down
Blade II (action? horror? both?)
Braveheart
Smokin' Aces
Class of 1984
Collateral
Crank
Equilibrium
Falling Down
Gladiator
Hard Boiled
Heat (De Niro)
Killer, The
Kill Bill
Last Boy Scout
Leon
Lethan Weapon 1,2,4
Mad Max
Man on Fire (Denzel)
Mariachi Trilogy (Rodriguez)
Narc
Nighthawks
Predator
Raiders of the Lost Ark (my fave movie from any genre)
Rambo Series
Riki-Oh: The Story of Riki
Road Warrior
Running Scared (Paul Walker)
Robocop (my #2 action fave of all time, especially with the "director's cut")
Scarface
Southern Comfort
Straw Dogs
Terminator Trilogy
Training Day
True Romance

Last edited by HauntedTrousers (2008-04-17 16:33:45)

severen wrote:
fredgarvin wrote:

Never really saw the first Rambo, Lethal Weapon i like slightly better than the first but the first did had a better final fight scene, Die Hard 2 i thought was a little better, Never saw the first El Marh. only saw Desperado and the 3rd( i thought the thrid sucked) and Terminator 2 was definetly better than the first. So half of it because i picked the sequel because i never saw the first and T2 was hands down better than the first. Terminator was real good for its budget but u gotta admit T2 blew it away. Also these was the only ones i can think at the top of my head and i know theres better ones if i remembered.

I was just wondering, I don't think I saw all the sequels but T2 was a good one. I can't remember Lethal Weapon 2 but I think I liked it. Was that the one with Busey? I have a shot memory...

good gosh why does runaway train hit my brain for in the 70's? I remember seeing it a drive-in...argh, you hurt my head now...gee thanks.

Nellie

fredgarvin wrote:
severen wrote:
fredgarvin wrote:

I was just wondering, I don't think I saw all the sequels but T2 was a good one. I can't remember Lethal Weapon 2 but I think I liked it. Was that the one with Busey? I have a shot
memory...

The one with Gary Busey is the first Lethal Weapon.

Bad Boys 2 tongue