37. Transformers (2007).
38. Starship Troopers.
39. Nausicca: valley of the Wind.
40. Star Trek IV: The Voyage Home.
41.V For Vendetta.
42. Riki-Oh: The Story of Ricky.
43. Battle Royale.
44. The Time Machine (1960).
45. The Deadly Spawn (a.k.a. Return of the Aliens).
46. Videodrome.
47. Star Wars Episode III: Revenge of the Sith.
48. Minority Report.
49. Star Trek VII: The Undiscovered Country.
50. Logan's Run.
51. They Live.
52. Invasion of the Body Snatchers (1956).
53. Re-Animator.
54. Tron.
55. The Day The Earth Stood Still.
56. V The Original Mini-Series.
57. The Road Warrior.
58. A.I. Artificial Intelligence.
59. From Beyond. (Always been a fave of mine for many years)
60. Slither.
61. The Blob (1988).
62. Superman Returns. (Much better then 3 and 4)
63. Lifeforce.
64. Star Trek: Generations.
65. Starchaser: Legend of Orin.
66. Critters.
67. Critters 2.
68. Rock & Rule. (Always been a fave of mine since i taped it off TBS when i was 11 in 1993)
69. Stargate.
70. Independence Day.
71. Men in Black.
72. Flash Gordon.
73. Night of the Creeps.
74. Escape from New York.
75. Metropolis (2001 anime).
76. Back to the Future III.
77. The Abyss.
78. Event Horizon.
79. Night of the Comet.
80. Them!
81. Mad Max.
82. Transformers The Movie (1986).
83. Invasion of the Body Snatchers (1978).
84. Fist of the North Star (1986 anime).
85. War of the Worlds (2005).
86. Cowboy Bebop The Movie.
87. Planet of the Apes (1968).
88. The Fly (1986).
89. Back to the Future II.
90. Star Wars Episode II: Attack of the Clones.
91 The Omega Man.
92. 12 Monkeys.
93. Grindhouse (Mainly for "Planet Terror").
94. Ghost in The Shell 2: Innocence.
95. Scanners.
96. The Iron Giant.
97. Appleseed (2004).
98. Star Wars Episode I: The Phantom Menace.
99. Pitch Black.
100. Killer Klowns from Outer Space.

Last edited by GreenGoblin (2008-04-20 21:26:57)

Re: .My top 100 Sci-fi movies.

Great list! there are some great movies on that list. I would put  2001 on the top of the list though lol wink

Well i think "Blade Runner" is number one.

I don't think I could think of 100 sci-fi movies I liked enough to list.  I mean it is a good effort on the list, but Clockwork Orange number 32 and Killer Klowns 100 kind of ruins it for me, but it is YOUR list and thanks for sharing.

Nice list.  Of course everyone has their own opinions and that is what is cool about life.  It means there is always something to talk about. 

That being said, I would have done some things differently.  For one (and this is an age-old discussion) Alien is not science fiction it is pure horror.  It's basically a monster movie that happens to take place in space.  Aliens is of course straight up science fiction which is why I was no longer a big fan of the series.  They abandoned the horror element in favor or sci-fi/action.   And although Aliens is great as far as that goes, I loved Alien because it was a horror film.  This should spark some interesting commentary as fans have been debating this for years.  But that is the way it is.  wink

I also don't consider Re-Animator science fiction for the same reason.  Aw hell there are several movies on that list I would say the same thing about.  But that line in the sand has always been ambiguous and any people have different ideas about what it what.

Other than that, I would have placed several of them higher like They Live, Transformers the Movie  and Logan's Run (three of my personal favorites).

But hey, Blade Runner is definitely number one.  big_smile 
That was a fun list to read.  Thank you for taking the time to do it.  Now I have some movies to dust off and watch.  LOL

From your top 100 I think these 20 merit being on any top list for innovation and contribution to the world of sci-fi film making. The rest are shyte!
And I agree with your number one pick.

1) Blade Runner
2) Star Wars
3) Alien
3) The Empire Strikes Back
4) Planet of the Apes (1968)
5) Close Encounters of the Third Kind
6) War of the Worlds (1953)
7) The Fly (1958)
8) Terminator 2
9) The Thing (1982)
0) The Matrix
1) E.T.
2) Jurassic Park
3) Forbidden Planet.
4) Minority Report
5) Invasion of the Body Snatchers (1956)
6) Re-Animator
7) The Day The Earth Stood Still
8) Independence Day
9) The Abyss
0) 12 Monkeys

Interesting list, but i would personally disagree on many of those even being in the realm of sci-fi, just because a story contains spaceships, and technical devices does not automatically put it in the catagory of sci-fi.

im curious what your criteria for defining them as sci-fi is as opposed to putting them into fantasy or even horor for some of them.

heres some im curious about being listed as sci-fi,
superman
x-men
clockwork orange
star wars
the thing
scanners

Is it because once, science-fiction was merely fiction set in the future with I may say a very gloomy outlook on what that future would be.
I would have put V for Vendetta and Dark City higher up on the list and I could also not think of a 100 movies that I would want to own of this genre. And one off watches, for me, do not make it worthy of a listing.:)

Well "Alien", "Re-Animator", "The Thing" and "Scanners" are Sci-fi horror combo movies.

Last edited by GreenGoblin (2008-04-20 20:37:07)

yes they are combos but i would say first and foremost they are horriffic, and that would take precedent over any type of speculative science fiction in the movies.

That's the same for "From Beyond", "Night of the Creeps", "Killer Klowns", "Grindhouse", "Critters 1 &2" and "The Blob" which also have Sci-fi in them. "X-Men 1 & 2" are definitely 100 percent pure Sci-fi cause they deal with being in the future and a new race of beings appear.

i just cant agree with x-men and superman being sci-fi, they are fantasy, because having super powers is purely fantastic, is not scientificallly possible, even in speculative sci-fi, with the exception of someone having metal implants and or exoskeleton.

Well "Superman" is fantasy but "X-Men" is futuristic sci-fi since it deals with a possible race of subhumans.

mutants are not a race of subhumans, if you ever read the comic the obvious point they were trying to make is the reason man fears them is they are the next step in human evolution.
mutants and humans are the same race, one just took a larger step forward evolutionary wise.

and thats why i still catagorize almost all superheroes as fantasy, with the exceptions of someone like punisher, its perfectly plausable to gear up with a van full of guns and shoot places up.

very nice.  I like ALL of those movies too.  It's kind of hard to categorize them from 1-100.  My opinions change from day to day too.

But Re-Animator....definately numero uno big_smile

Yeh "Re-Animator" is an awesome Sci-fi horror flick, so is "From Beyond". Do you think "Star Trek" is pure Sci-fi?

No sci-fi list is complete without Alphaville, Stalker, or Brazil.....and sadly none are found on this list....  hmm