Topic: Scenes from Masters of Horror: Ernest Dickerson's THE V WORD

Two scenes from Ernest Dickerson's (Demon Knights, Bones)  entry into Masters of Horror called The V Word, written by series creator Mick Garris.

http://www.sho.com/site/mastersofhorror … ent=v_word

Really cool I must say and I am looking forward to the DVD of this episode.  Audio does lapse for about a second or two on the clip CHASE but otherwise fine.

Re: Scenes from Masters of Horror: Ernest Dickerson's THE V WORD

I am looking forward to this episode.  I love the use of little artificial light because it adds to the feeling.  Dickerson proved himself to me on Demon Knights which I truly enjoyed.  I have a feeling this is going to become a favorite.

The V Word looks like its going to be a good one.
Its wierd that the showtime link is only for people in United States to access. Thats the only website I have ever come across where only people of a certain country can view it

Very odd...but, I can say the score from the chase scene..very John Carpenter with a haunting piano.

The reason Canadians can't view it is because they can't get Showtime.. I don't know why they feel like the website has to be like that but I guess thats just how they roll..

Anyway funny you bring up that John Carpenter reference Golden because thats exactly what I was thinking when I heard it.. Looks like it should be a good episode.. A bit odd though I must admit..

smile

It does look strange, but good.  I'm always a sucker *pun possibly intended* for a good vampire movie.  I really dig the lighting, enough to see the characters and surroundings, but not enough for you to see every last detail.  Definatly looks like this will be a fav of mine for this season.

From what I have read the vampire doesn't have fangs so he basically rips throat out and guzzles the blood down.  That and it looks like a bit of Nosferatu was taken for it...maybe.  With the hand moving down the wall and apparently knocking the one kid down or possibly it was the lighting and the kid tripped over something. 

If he didn't, I wonder what other powers Dickerson's vamps have.

Last edited by thegoldensimatar (2006-11-08 07:47:49)

I recently saw The V Word and I overall thought it was good.  It felt very close to an episode of Tales from the Crypt, especially when it came to the ending.  As for the direction and overall look of the film, in terms of cinematography, I thought it was very good.  Dickerson's choice of using as little artificial light as possible was what truly made the movements of the camera have a very "Dracula" feel to it, in the sense of contrasting darkness and light.  Also, I enjoyed the homages to the original Dracula, staring Bella Lugosi.  However, the one thing I did not enjoy was the way the vampires were portrayed.  The vampires had no fangs, would have to rip the throats of victims, and did not have to drain their victims till near death before letting them drink from them to change them into a vampire.  In the end, I would have to say that this was a good episode and the only thing wrong was the way Mick Garris (teleplay writer) chose to portray vampires, even though the dialogue at points made up for it.