Topic: The Thing to be remade.

Usually I am pretty tolerant of remakes and have actually ended up liking a couple more than the original. But I don't think that this remake was warranted at all.

http://www.fangoria.com/news_article.php?id=3179

Any thoughts?

Re: The Thing to be remade.

I understand it is going to be a prequel, so maybe its while The Thing is hangin with the Norwegians

that might not be too bad... not! it will prob suck, although i did like Carpenters remake of the thing, almost better than the origional, but the origional will always hold a place in my heart.

All i csn say is a prequel is better than a remake or a sequel (Unless they got Carpenter & Russell back, Like maybe let a new group find the the bodys of the two survivors & the alien thing is inside the frozen body of Kurt Russell's character, But i guess that will never happen) As of right now i don't really know what to think about a prequel (Its kinda pointless if you ask me, But whatever!) However it is nice to know that some of the same folks behind Slither is working on this, Cause Slither had some kick ass monster fx, But it still concerns me a bit, Cause Slither had such a comedy feel to it while Carpenter's film was so dark and edge of your seat....

DemonToSome wrote:

I understand it is going to be a prequel, so maybe its while The Thing is hangin with the Norwegians

If they stick with the prequel angle than it might not be so bad. But seeing as the scripting isn't finish (or started) anything is possible. I'd really hate to see it rushed to the screen to make a buck though.

at least Ronald Moore is writing it. He has experience on Gallactica which is a damn good sci-fi show in my eyes. http://www.horror-movies.ca/horror_6918.html We will have to wati and see if they screw it up thoug.

IMO, Carpenter's film wasn't so much a remake as a readpation of Campbell's original story...a far more loyal version.  I doubt anyone would call Peter Jackson's LOTR a remake of Ralph Bakshi's LOTR. 

But, this definatly seems like a straight up remake or something.  A companion?  Means a sequel or prequel in my mind.

And a prequel means they would have to end it with the Norwegians being killed at the US camp and would also mean that if this worked...the studios would have to basically remake Carpenter's film anyway.  Either that or do the smart (and money saving) route of re-releasing Carpenter's film.  Course they won't do that...but it would be the smartest move. 

*thinks*

Well, I know that Dark Horse did a series about THE THING....maybe they will use some of that as basis for the movie and maybe mix that a bit with the video game.

Last edited by thegoldensimatar (2006-11-18 21:52:28)

i dont like an idea of the remake but a prequel i could like if they did it good

remake of a remake!!! Be hard to top either of the first ones...I love the original and JC's version both....Kurt Russell very good in the latest. Heck I'll watch a remake or a prequel... even though I'm a big harper on the horror scene needing some originality, I've been getting a bit upset with the quality of recent horror releases that are marketed with more budget than was used to make the film.

There is absolutely no need for a remake or a prequel to The Thing.

All I have is one request for this film.. Bring back Rob Bottin!

Yep...it's a prequel...and in Norwegian...subtitles anyone...anyone...Bueller...Bueller?

Bueller what?

And I agree with you Goon, they need Rob Bottin.  If they can't get him, the guys at KNB I think are the only ones who could possibly match what he did.

you can not remake something that had such chemistry on screen or with such a great
screeplay like john did in 82. unless kurt russell as macready and childs, keith david
are brought back to play those roles.......mmm.... nah it cant happen never mind.

Yea I'm usually deadset against remakes but I've come to the conclusion that they are going to happen. So, you just have to get the mindset that it may not be as good as the original but it can still be a good stand alone movie..

Thats a really good point you made there Goon.

Goon wrote:

Yea I'm usually deadset against remakes but I've come to the conclusion that they are going to happen. So, you just have to get the mindset that it may not be as good as the original but it can still be a good stand alone movie..

Nicely put Goon.

Ronald Moore re-doing the Thing and BLACK CHRISTMAS...gonna tie them in together...send the THING out in Santa's sleigh from the North Pole...gonna be good stuff..except for the HO HO HO being in Norwegian.

Bueller??? Don't tell me you've never seen Ferris Bueller's Day Off???