Topic: Great zombie books!!!!

I just read two really good books by Brian Keene. The first is The Rising and it had a very cliffhanger ending but it was such a good story I couldn't be all that mad at the author. (I hate that crap) So I was at my favorite book store and randomly picked up his new book City of the Dead which at the time I didn't know but it is a continuation of the story. Yea Hoooo. Anyway if you like zombies give these books a try they are gory, funny, and even the animal that die come back as zombies. Very cool. Also if you guys have any other recommendations for good horror reads that aren't Koontz or King please pass them on.

Re: Great zombie books!!!!

moved to the literature forum. I have asked Stigma to check this thread and see if he can help. Hes our lit champion.

Cherie Priest has Four and Twenty Blackbirds - it's a great southern gothic horror dealing with ZOmbies and ghosts - pretty sweet! It's part of a trilogy, of which the second book will be released in October, which I am reading for review now.

Also, Bentley Little is a great horror writer, along with Michael Laimo, whome we have an interview posted on the site. Be sure to check those guys out.

Hey Hard2Kill,

The sequal City of the Dead has a definitive ending, but I found there were still some questions unanswered. Overall, it is a pretty good read. Smart zombies suck.

When your done with that, I would recommend Berserk by Tim Lebbon. It is pretty decent. It isn't a zombie book per se, but if you like the zombie genre you should enjoy it.

Last edited by Greg (2006-11-16 00:50:03)

Thanks Greg I will keep my eye out for that one. Also check out Edward Lee and Jack Ketchum (of course). Jack book Off Season is pretty gruesome and I am kind of jaded.

Hard2Kill wrote:

I just read two really good books by Brian Keene. The first is The Rising and it had a very cliffhanger ending but it was such a good story I couldn't be all that mad at the author. (I hate that crap) So I was at my favorite book store and randomly picked up his new book City of the Dead which at the time I didn't know but it is a continuation of the story. Yea Hoooo. Anyway if you like zombies give these books a try they are gory, funny, and even the animal that die come back as zombies. Very cool. Also if you guys have any other recommendations for good horror reads that aren't Koontz or King please pass them on.

Thanks Hard2Kill I am going to check those out:) I just finished THE RUINS by Scott Smith and I give it 4 stars, best read I have had in a while. I LOVE the graphic horror The Walking Dead 1-4 out now.(these are the combined comics)by Robert Kirkman and Tony Moore.
and I like ZOMBIES!!!feast written by shane mcarthy art chris bolton
these are really well drawn and great storylines esp the Walking Dead series:)

I snagged ZOMBIES!!!Feast #1 on a whim and have been meaning to find the others because it stared really well. That's the one one with the prisoners right?

The Resident Evil books are pretty good.  Very fast reads, but keep you attatched.  I'd check em' out.  I liked City of the Dead the best.  Leon Kennedy all the way.

Hard2Kill wrote:

I snagged ZOMBIES!!!Feast #1 on a whim and have been meaning to find the others because it stared really well. That's the one one with the prisoners right?

yeah that's the one, if you like that you'll Really like Walking Dead.

Yeah, the Walking Dead series is also really great.

I love the walking dead series as well as Brian Keene's, The Rising. I'm a big fan of the RE franchise, but i just assumed the book's wouldn't be all too great. I guess now I'll have to check them out.

Hey Leon and gang,
I loved The Rising as well.  It's one of the best zombie books out there.  And if you like Brian Keene, He and I are spotlighted in the upcoming issue of Insideous Reflections.  I am pretty excited about it.  I just got a sneak peek at the article today and they used a few qoutes from me.  I mean who wouldn't be excited to be featured along side Keene right?
Eric S. Brown

Other great zombie books-  Blood Crazy by Simon Clark, Dead in the West by Joe R. Lansdale, all of Len Barnhart's Reign of the Dead books, David Moody's Autumn series (which you can download some of for free off his site) and (cough. ..ahem) The Queen, Cobble, and The Wave by (you guessed it) me.
Eric S. Brown

And dang it, who could forget to mention John Skipp's Book of the Dead.  That anthology was one of the BEST collection of zombie tales ever published.  It had Stephen King, Joe R. Lansdale, Doug Winter, Robert McCammon, etc.

Right on!!! Eric Brown responding to my topic how sweet is that. I have been trying to find a copy of The Wave for a few months now but my local book stores just don't have it. And now I have a few more zombie books to look for.

The Wave is about 4 weeks away from actually coming out Hard2Kill.  IF you really want a copy though you can get it from www.nakedsnakepress.com or www.shocklines.com 
And thanks man being cool about my post, I mean it,
Eric

Incubusvane wrote:

Hey Leon and gang,
I loved The Rising as well.  It's one of the best zombie books out there.  And if you like Brian Keene, He and I are spotlighted in the upcoming issue of Insideous Reflections.  I am pretty excited about it.  I just got a sneak peek at the article today and they used a few qoutes from me.  I mean who wouldn't be excited to be featured along side Keene right?
Eric S. Brown

I'll be sure to check out that issue of Insideous Reflections upon it's release. Glad to see you around these parts Eric.

Wow I have got some great titles to check out after reading this thread.

Anybody here read any of Max Brooks' books? I have read both The Zombie Survival Guide and World War Z. And I highly recommend them both though TZSG might not be for everyone. Probably more for the hard core zombie fanatic.

http://www.randomhouse.com/crown/zombiesurvivalguide/

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Max_Brooks

Are the three Eric Brown books a series, or are they stand alone storeies?

Also, I have read the Zombie survival guide and it is great. I would recommend it to anyone, but I haven't been able to read World War Z yet.

Yeah, I've heard nothing but good things about World War Z.  I'm gonna have to check it out one of these days.

stephen king's "cell" sucked monkey balls.  it started out great- fun, but in true SK fashion lamed @ the end.  maked me wonder why the Hell eli roth is interested in filming this piece of crap?

I am really looking forward to picking up World War Z and Cell, I have heard good things about both. I loved the Zombie Survival Guide it was great the way it was written like a military manual. I have heard that Brad Pitts production company has picked up the rights for World War Z but I haven't heard anything else about it.

we'll discuss later...

Discuss what later?

whoo hooo I scored both Brian Keene's books together on ebay//The Rising and The City of the Dead...thanks hard2kill for suggesting them, can't wait to read them.