Topic: Scream Television

Anyone else who has Scream Television think it absolutely sucks?  I had such high hopes years ago when the channel launched in Canada in 2001, but it quickly fizzled by the channels mediocrity.  Maybe I expeced too much Horror but I just can't stand seeing all the Sci-Fi and Thrillers on it every day.  I would love to hear if anyone has anything good to say that perhaps I am missing.  The last thing I spent any time watching on it was the Masters of Horror's series which was great for the record.

Last edited by PUCKU (2008-03-22 04:37:10)

Re: Scream Television

All I have here where I live is the Sci-fi channel.

This channel is a Canadian digital channel so anyone in the U.S. wouldnt know of it.  I would take Sci-Fi over Space any day of the week.  We get screwed over in Canada sometimes with regards to U.S. programming especially cable stuff.

in the UK we have something call Zone Horror
Most had really  bad movies
http://www.uk.zonehorror.tv/TV/Guide/Ch … /Tomorrow/
Sometimes it has Hellasier movies come on.

Also have Sci-fi channel.UK
Not bad Channle
http://www.scifi.co.uk/whatson/home.asp

The Best one all time is Sci-if horror channel
http://entertainment.ie/Tv/display.asp? … -Fi/Horror

I watch Scream a fair amount and the worse part of it are the commercials. They have way too many. And I wrote an email to them, not about the commercials, but about that chick that use to host it and she was 3 or 4 idiotic characters. Man she pissed me off and I told them how I felt about her and they actually emailed me back. But maybe my email was a good thing cause she's not on it any more tongue

DemonToSome, I can shed some light on the commercials perhaps for you.  All the digital channels in Canada have a very very small audience and thus they have to rely heavily on the commercials for cash.  The CRTC (Canada's answer to the FCC) disperses money from everyones cable bill based on viewership and as a result if the channels are not getting great ratings, the channels don't get much funds.  This is not completely accurate, but I know for instance that TSN gets something like .75 for from every cable subscriber and Sportsnet gets like .40 - .50 wheras a channel like The Score gets .25.  If you look at those numbers from channels which actually appear on regular cable and have some viewership, you can imagine how much money a channel such as Scream must get to operate.  I know and watch The Fight Network and it is my understanding that it is the most viewed digital-only channel and it still gets low ratings.  Scream suffers from the fact that they must operate on a shoe-string budget, however, my issue is the fact that their programming bites and isn't enough horror.  I see more of my fav TROMA flicks on the Drive-In Classics then I do anywhere else.  I just wish Scream would carry first-run stuff such as SK Nightmares & Dreamscapes, Kingdom Hospital, etc when they first come out.  The last thing I recall seeing on the channel which was different was the Scream Awards from Spike TV, but for the most part the channel airs way too much stuff like Broken Arrow, Independence Day, and other movies of little interest to me to watch on a channel of Scream's genre.  If Scream would actually air stuff like the old Friday the 13th, Nightmare on Elm Street - plug-in whatever token horror flick from the 80's you want- I know I would watch the channel way more even with the commercials.  If they played stuff I liked, I might consider getting a PVR/TIVO just to record the flicks and watch them commercial-free.

I watch Scream all the time!!  The commercials DO suck ass though....especially the "infomercial' type ones, BLAH! They go on forever and ever! 

I dont like when they play "thrillers' either....there's nothing "horror' about a crime thriller or suspense film.  I guess they godda fill the schedule somehow! I find they play the good shit in the middle of the night when I can't watch it  mad  But I am glad they show MOH!!

i dont get scream tv....i get fearnet and im satisfied with that

Scream must hate me as I have sent them several emails voicing my criticism of the channel over choices in programming, and now I don't even get replies back.  The channel has the potential do be a cool channel, but I don't know who is running it as everything from the website to the films are weak,  The channel does not even offer up any original programming.  I would be so psyched if they would show oscure stuff like Evil Aliens, The Host, Undead, etc which people don't get a chance to see.  I don't really care about the commercials so much as some folks do as I know it is just part and parcel of running a station.

They just loop the same movies over and over. They only seem to have so many of them and just loop them over time. I don't think I've seen anything really new, just the same old shit.

PUCKU wrote:

This channel is a Canadian digital channel so anyone in the U.S. wouldnt know of it.  I would take Sci-Fi over Space any day of the week.  We get screwed over in Canada sometimes with regards to U.S. programming especially cable stuff.

It's better than it use to... I got when I first got my digital box and it really sucked... Well for me it did because most of the horror movies were only the super old ones in black and white. The rest was mostly bad thrillers and stuff like that. Recently they had a couple of good movies on, like Night of The Creeps, Invasion of the Bodyshatchers and a couple of really cheesy canadian horror movies. But they do not have enough horror movies, not even close. I think Space has more horror movies actually.

Yeah I caught Night of The Creeps the other night smile

I get Monsters HD through Dish Network. It used to fucking rule. It was all horror movies uncut, no commmercials at all on the channel, and all in HD. They played Evil Dead, Halloween, the Friday the 13th series, Blood Diner, Return of the Living Dead, Night of the Creeps, etc. etc., lots of really good stuff. Then suddenly in November they changed their schedule and have been playing only 2 movies a day on repeat since then. Now the quality of movies has gone way downhill and it really pisses me off. It was the whole reason I got Dish in the first place.

I don't get Scream TV nor Fearnet. But i do get ChillerTV.

I have had Scream since it launched and I have only seen modest improvements in some areas.  The channel operates I believe on an 6 or 8 hr loop which is common for channels which can't afford a lot of programming to fill a 24hr day.  I would agree that I do often see better flicks and even some horror flicks on Space!  I stated previously that I actually like Drive-In Classics as they have played tons of cheesy B-movies and tons of TROMA stuff on the channel over the years.

I watch Drive-in Classics alot too. There's alot of old b-movies that you will never see except on that channel. I record alot of those movies. I like the way they have it set up, like it is a drive-in with the intermissions and the refreshment ads. But the best part are the rare flicks and each movie has only about 2 commercials. That makes it easy to edit out the commercials and burn to DVD tongue

I watch scream lot they have the Friday the 13th movies which I love even though they are cheesy compared to todays horrors

PUCKU wrote:

trust me when u say no u would not, if u would have said that five or six years ago, yea, but now, all they play is crappy movies that nobody would watch for a million bucks

The only time they really ever play anything "horror" like, is usually around Halloween. That's not to say they never do, but I agree, it is mostly sci-fi.

Yea, I'm pretty disappointed in Scream too.  And I couldn't stand that stupid chick they use to have on there.  Glad she's gone.  I watch a lot on Drive-In-Classics as well, and just recently added the four Super Channels.  They actually have quite a bit of horror, but its mostly new.  Still they have things like Black Sheep, Mortuary, THe Mad and so on.  So I think they're worth the extra bucks.

Ok, Does anyone know how the hell to get fearnet?  I thought Time Warner Cable was suppose to get it and Chiller, but I have nothing.  Also, do you need a different cable box to get HD channels?