Topic: laserdisc... anyone?

i am interested to see if anyone has any laserdisc movies (horror) that they are interested to sell, or trade.

excited to see if we have anyone out there...

thanks!
mac_
tongue

Re: laserdisc... anyone?

I've never laid my hands on one....they were a little before my time tongue

understandable, slightly before my time as well, well depending on the film but I love them, so much cover art, and alternate covers, foreign releases... haha just a geek i guess

big_smile

At least you knew what they were skfan.  At university we had a scavenger hunt and the union president and I had to explain to some of the participants what a couple of the items were, an 8-track, and a 45

My brother has a ton of them but I doubt he would part with them.  I never bought them, I was still buying VHS until a couple of years ago.

I've always wanted to buy a laserdisc player and movies, I dunno, I'm just kinda into that stuff. Especially rare ones, like the japanese LD of Dead Alive which is the longest print known to exist despite the fact that the US dvd says uncut. I so want it.

My dad bought like 50 or more of them but later the laserdisc player stopped working and found out thats one of the reasons why they did'nt last long, dont know if my dad still have them though or if they still work because we cant test it since we dont have a laserdisc player that worked.

Yes I do have a Laserdisc player and Horror disc.  But sorry, not willing to part with 'em.  wink

I have a laser disk player in storage.  I picked it up at a pawn shop; when I got it home I was surprised to see the previous owner had left his Top Gun laser disk in it.
cool

My friend and i shared a laserdisc player we salvaged out of the box of cast off items when a neighbor moved out years ago, the picture quality was awesome, but it was a pain in the ass to turn the films over halfway through.

but i still want to get one to get some of the more obscure versions of films like zomboy said.

ok question for anyone who has / had a LD player, did you ever notice a deterioration of the discs on the edges?  ive been reading about this and how many of them would degrade very fast.

The fabled Disc rot?  Haven't run across it yet, but considering the way they were put together, I have no doubt it exists.

i was reading about disc rot on some Ld websites, and how certain titles were prone to disc rot faster, because a bonding error or something like that.

so with the Ld owners here were all of the movies 2 sided or did any come out that were single sided?

^^ All the ones I ever saw were two sided.  But it was cool when it first came out and my brother had one.  I remember the first laser disc I saw was Empire Strikes Back and I was like this movie looks so different.  The difference was it was letterboxed and I'd only ever seen it in pan and scan.  Damn that was a long time ago, back in the days before DVD, when everybody would say what are those black bars above and underneath the picture for?:lol:  Of course there are still some dumbasses who still ask the same question.

Last edited by mdc666 (2008-04-30 03:20:46)

Is there anything in particular you are looking for? I have about 50, but not much in the way of horror.

Greg wrote:

Is there anything in particular you are looking for? I have about 50, but not much in the way of horror.

i am mainly looking to build my collection of all my favorite horror films, and cult classics' i am dying to get my hands on toxic avenger 1 & 2, and the collectors edition of night of the living dead

i will be posting a listing of all laserdiscs i own currently soon...

and to the disc rot issue, i have purchased discs with this 'disease' (haha) the players can be cleaned to prevent further damage. in most cases my player and the movies are more a collecting worship then for my viewing pleasure. tongue

but if anyone on the site comes across stores with laserdisc (mainly horror) for sale let me know as i love a good road trip!!! cool

although the dead alive release mentioned above does have addtional footage it is nothing to blow too much dough on..

i am glad to see a few of the members have/or have had iterest in laserdisc big_smile

Yes there were single sided discs, but the programs were 45 minutes to an hour and didnt NEED the other side.

When I was working at the CD Shop, we'd have two monitors and two players going, one showing the letterboxed, and the other showing the Pan&Scan versions of flicks like "Born of the Fourth of July" and "Hunt for Red October".  THAT drove the point home.  Especially when we played "Ghostbusters".;)

And I remember when Vince broke off from U.S. Laser to form Elite Entertainment, SPECIFICALLY to release that NOTLD disc.  We purposely overbought on it, and I played it in store for a week. big_smile

been awhile since i have been on- life found me too busy sadly.
but i am back today and hopefully for awhile.

wanted to bring back an old post in hopes of new life.

thanks-
c

we have a used book and media store here in the area called Half Price.  A few months back they had a sick collection of laser discs - had to be some big Horror fan's entire collection -  had the Evil Deads, some Romeros, Fulcis and Argentos, most of the 80s staples like Nightmare on Elm, F13, etc etc.  about 50 flicks in all, really not a dud in the bunch.  They were selling them for 10 bucks a pop.  It was tempting to buy some, but I don't even have a player. They all disappeared within a week or so.  Made me regret not nabbing them just to turn them over.

I've never owned a LD player, but I had a friend who'd dub me all his uber-cool Japanese imports onto VHS with all the juicy and hard to come by extras back in the day.

Yeah I'm no help.  LOL    Good luck

i recently learned the amazing world of half priced books/records stores when i visited Indiana for famous monsters convention- those are a great chain... wish i had one closer.

and no worries, i enjoy discussing the laserdisc world just as much as collecting.
sad story is most of those discs they were selling at $10 were probably worth more, especially if they were in good condition and un-punched.

grimreality wrote:

At least you knew what they were skfan.  At university we had a scavenger hunt and the union president and I had to explain to some of the participants what a couple of the items were, an 8-track, and a 45

A few years ago I overheard a couple of teenage girls talking at a bus stop and one of them said to the other, "You mean, there was a time when people didn't have internet?" LOL.