Topic: Lucio Fulci

I've grown up with the man's movies and at this point they don't feel foreign at all. I didn't see any thread for him, and that is a sacrilege amongst horror fans. As you can guess by my avatar, The Beyond is a personal favourite, I just want to open up the floor and see what everyone else thinks of his movies, directing, and the special effects that have changed horror.

Re: Lucio Fulci

I'm not a huge fan of his cause I consider Dario Argento the italian master of horror. But I did enjoy Fulci's Zombie(aka Zombi 2), The Beyond, and The New York Ripper.

I didn't like the Gates of Hell at all.

I forgot his film Don't Torture a Duckling wasn't too bad of a film.

i have'nt seen the Beyond yet, its hard to get a copy of!...i have only seen

The House by the Cemetery
Zombi 2

they were both pretty good

ChainSaW80 wrote:

i have'nt seen the Beyond yet, its hard to get a copy of!...i have only seen

The House by the Cemetery
Zombi 2

they were both pretty good

I didn't care too much for House by the Cemetery. You can find The Beyond(aka Seven Doors of Death) on dvd at amazon.com.;)

He's done some great things (The Beyond, Zombi 2)  and some OK stuff ( House by the Cemetery, City of the Living Dead, New York Ripper) but I find his lack of attention to story, dialogue, characters, narrative, common sense, etc very grating and thus, I can only take him in small doses.

I love Fulci. Well that is, I love his zombie flicks. Most of the other stuff he did was crap. He seems to be an acquired taste because alot of people think his films are stupid. That is probably because his stories seem to be train of thought and burn out of making sense halfway through. But thats ok, gore seems to carry the movies itself anyway and they are fun to watch.
I used to have a gates of hell avatar where bobs head gets drilled, but I traded it for my Salems Lot av.

I like most of his movies except for  House by the Cemetary. I really liked City of the Living Dead and The Beyond. I was also suprised that i liked the Four of the Apocalypse which was a western. I havent seen all of his movies yet but i have seen Zombi II and the New York Ripper.

I agree Severen, House by the Cemetary was very weak,  it made no sense but it had some good gore big_smile

Fulci makes films to that have a certain "feel" to them.. While he may not pay attention to a well developed story he builds an amazing amount of tension and an odd creepy sensation.. For those of you who want a full story and what not check out his just recently released film The Psychic by Severen.. It is very different then his other work and is very story driven..

as Italian gore directors go he was one of the best

Zomboy wrote:

I agree Severen, House by the Cemetary was very weak,  it made no sense but it had some good gore big_smile

Especially the bat-attack. That was one of the cheesiest things I've ever seen, especially after his previous efforts. How do you go from a drill through the head, a splinter in the eye, throwing up your own intestines to .... "OH MY GOD THE BAT IS BITING MY HAND" it looked like something from a pre-school puppet show. However, the rest of the movie made up for it.

lol ha yep, that really was lame! The movie wasn't horrible, but after the credits, I was just sitting there thinking, "wtf?"

Same with Gates of Hell. It's a great movie, don't get me wrong, it all made some form of sense until she screams at the last second and it all falls apart. What the hell?

Last edited by Zomboy (2008-05-11 19:51:42)

The House by the Cemetary was the first film of his I saw and I remember thinking the ending was the coolest thing I'd ever seen when I was like twelve lol tongue

I like the gore but something in there did'nt feel right to me that got me uninterested or something.

His later films were quite poor but I still enjoy" Cat in the Brain" and "Demonia" as they are the best of the rest, so to speak. "Perversion Story" is also a recently released gem from the psychadelic cop movie genre.

Four of the Apocalypse was the only movie i've seen hes done thats not a horror genre but a western. But it did'nt really feel like a western either though but the whole cast did some pretty good acting.

My first exposure to Fulci was the New York Ripper years ago and I was hooked.  I enjoy most of Fulci's films, but I have to say my least favourite is Manhattan Baby.  Just couldn't follow that.  The Beyond is probly my favourite.

MacheteMassacre wrote:

My first exposure to Fulci was the New York Ripper years ago and I was hooked.  I enjoy most of Fulci's films, but I have to say my least favourite is Manhattan Baby.  Just couldn't follow that.  The Beyond is probably my favourite.

Yeah machete, I feel the same about Manhattan Baby.

Man, does anybody here have a copy of Cat in the Brain (Nightmare Concert)? I was just wondering because it is damn near impossible to get a copy! insanity

Zomboy wrote:

Man, does anybody here have a copy of Cat in the Brain (Nightmare Concert)? I was just wondering because it is damn near impossible to get a copy! insanity

you can get a copy online pretty easily you just need to know where to look wink I can give you a link if u want just pm me or something since I'm not allowed to post it tongue

fredgarvin wrote:
MacheteMassacre wrote:

My first exposure to Fulci was the New York Ripper years ago and I was hooked.  I enjoy most of Fulci's films, but I have to say my least favourite is Manhattan Baby.  Just couldn't follow that.  The Beyond is probably my favourite.

I was thinking of buying that movie, what u guys did'nt like about it?

Zomboy wrote:

Here you go: Fulci's Cat in the Brain/Nightmare Concert

I've only seen a handful of Fulci films -- Zombie, Gates of Hell, The Beyond, New York Ripper, The Smuggler, Cat in the Brain and Wax Mask.  Not the best flicks ever made, but they at least deliver in the grue department and as mentioned by someone else above, Fulci establishes a creepy, haunting atmosphere in his films, including The Smuggler, which isn't even a horror flick but basically a Godfather rip-off.  Still, that flick and I'd say Zombie and Cat in the Brain are the best of the Fulci flicks I've seen thus far.

Grindhouse has Cat in the Brain in their catalogue. They're working on it the same as The Beyond. So this Halloween, we'll get some sweet releases. Remember last year? Scarecrows, Return of the Living Dead, The Burning. I was in heaven.

severen wrote:
fredgarvin wrote:
MacheteMassacre wrote:

I was thinking of buying that movie, what u guys did'nt like about it?

I t was very slow in developement and the scares were lame at best  consisting mainly of snakes popping in and out. Also, no gore, which would have helped it. I didn't even finish it I was so bored.

Just snakes and no gore on a Fulci film? Thanks for the heads up, it doesnt sound too promising of a thrill.