Topic: NEW BLACK CHRSITMAS DVD

Black Christmas, one of my favorite horror films of all-time, is getting a special holiday wrapping this year with a re-release Special Edition DVD hitting stores December 5th, 2006.

http://i33.photobucket.com/albums/d92/Steech/bxtrade.jpg

CANADIAN COVER ART  :

http://i33.photobucket.com/albums/d92/Steech/Can1.jpg

AMERICAN COVER ART  :

http://i33.photobucket.com/albums/d92/Steech/newdvdcover.jpg

Here's a look at how much cleaner the new DVD will be  :

http://i33.photobucket.com/albums/d92/Steech/NEWBCTRANSFER.jpg

A true Canadian classic, if you havent seen this film yet, now's your chance!

Last edited by Kid Bosco (2006-10-03 02:27:44)

Re: NEW BLACK CHRSITMAS DVD

Pictures look great.  This is a really great classic slasher film.  I'll be pickin' this bad boy up for sure.

Yupp, a film that I hope FINALLY gets the attention it well deserves.

It aint Halloween that started it all, let me just say that.

thanks for the news, it will be going in tonights radio show.

Looks very cool and I love the comparision stills.  Definatly gives an idea of how poor the transfer was from the other DVD.

And I always though Halloween started it all.  Well, I will have to check out this movie.  Really dig the cover art too.

Yea I'm really looking forward to this release. Its great to see a film with so much significance to the horror genre get an update like this. I'll be picking up a copy for sure..

And very nicely put on the back description :

Bob Clarke's Black Christmas predates Halloween by 4 years and is now widely aknowledged as the inventor of the modern slasher film.

Even if Black Christmas did start it all for the slasher films, I still feel that Halloween is a much better film.  Either way though, this is a great film and the new transfer looks unbelievable.

That new transfer sure looks good. I'm so use to seeing Black Christmas in the "bad looking" transfer (well compared to this new one).
I'll be getting this too for sure...

My 25th anniversary edition is still in good shape, but I might have to double dip for this. The transfer looks great.

In order to show support for a great film that has been in hibernation for faaar toooo looong, it's worth the 20 bucks.
smile

This is awesome to be sure..I will purchase to be sure!!

The new picture quality is pretty clear, and it has some really good bonus material. It was about time they released a new DVD of this classic.

Halloween is better, but Black Christmas is just as scary.

Where is the 'before' comparison screenshot from ? Is it from the 25th anniversary edition, critical mass version or earlier ?

Good question neversummer

Well I'm not too impressed with the new version. I'm sure it has black bars at the top and bottom that actually cuts out some of the original picture. I don't think it's a true widescreen print, so that makes it an inferior copy of the version before this.
I think this new version is only to make it fit widescreen tv's better but losing some of the actual picture in the process.

The worst part of it is, it's grainy! I don't believe how fuckin grainy it is.
I have the Canadian version as pictured above. It's on scream tv right now and I'm comparing them. The one on TV is crystal clear and the new?? dvd looks like shit!

Last edited by DemonToSome (2006-12-17 20:13:55)

The new dvd is anamorphic and they've artificially brightened the picture which brings out more detail I guess... and a bunch of grain. There's also no commentary tracks and I hear the fanboy produced extras are pretty weak... although I would like to see the interview with Olivia Hussey... I guess the only reason to pick up this release is if you got a widescreen tv and a hard on for Hussey... looks like I better pick it up! big_smile

I've been checking into this more. Your right, the new version is anamorphic. It has been cropped at top and bottom but more can be seen to the left and right of the frame. It was intended to be shown in 1.85:1 matte.

Critical Mass' first release was accidentally transferred from the negative open matte and the result was a full screen presentation and boom mics are visible in some scenes which weren't seen in the theatrical release.
The next release, Critical Mass' Collector's Edition, came closer to the intended aspect ratio with a 1.77:1 nonanamorphic transfer.

This latest release was retransferred from the original negatives into hi-def and given a 1.85:1 anamorphic transfer that was approved by cameraman Bert Dunk.

Here's a good link to see stills of both prints (25th Anniversary & the new Special Edition) and too see how much different they look plus other differences between them.

But the graininess to the new version is unbelievable.

Last edited by DemonToSome (2006-12-19 12:52:01)

Well since I've never seen it I guess the new version is fine because I have nothing to compare it to. Maybe I'll netflix it first to see if I want to own it.

In that link I think they compared the wrong editions.. I have heard that the first release by Critical Mass is probably the best edition but it is hard to find. So you might as well go with the new release if you don't feel like hunting down the other one..

It seems to me that the first edition by Critical Mass is the 25th anniversary edition which is fullscreen and the 2nd is the redish color case which like I said above is nonanamorphic, then we have this new one.

Does that sound right?

Yea I think you got it right.. Whatever the case may be.. No one has really given the movie its treatment that it really deserves.. I think this edition was a rush job to get it out in time for the remake..

I have to agree with you about it being rushed