Re: Lucio Fulci

Yeah, take a huge pass on Manhattan Baby. It's not his finest work.

Well you know my thoughts on Fulci. I'm actually new to this man. I've seen Zombi and and liked it enough to pick it up. Heard nothing but good things about The Beyond, I wouldn't mind getting it, but I know about the horror story that you went through Tristan with your DVD.

Anyways, I'm not a big Italian filmmaker supporter, but some have been good and may look into him and Argento further.

I find myself liking his The New York Ripper the best now out of his films besides Zombie. City of the living Dead was very weak imho and The Beyond wasn't all that. I need to still see Manhattan Baby though. Don't Torture a Duckling was kinda cool film though.

Yeah, Don't Torture A Duckling was one of his best non-horror films.

Anybody see Contraband?  I wonder if it's any good.

Contraband (aka The Smuggler) is one of my favorite Fulci films.  Most folks call it a Godfather rip-off (I've called it that myself a number of times) but it's still a good mobster/exploitation flick with plenty of Fulci's trademark violence and gore.

Last edited by LoudLon (2008-05-21 19:18:25)

RIP wrote:

I'm not a huge fan of his cause I consider Dario Argento the italian master of horror. But I did enjoy Fulci's Zombie(aka Zombi 2), The Beyond, and The New York Ripper.

I didn't like the Gates of Hell at all.

I forgot his film Don't Torture a Duckling wasn't too bad of a film.

Yeah i agree, Argento is the better director, i do like Fulcis stuff though with the exception of Gates of Hell, i challenge anybody to tell me what the hell that film was about, no plot at all.

I find it strange to compare Argento & Fulci. I mean though they were both horror film directors, they made two different types of films. Argento went for the morie Giallo-Artsy type films, and Fulci went to make shocking gore movies with no linear plot (though not on purpose). It just seems like they can't be compared even though they are both Italian.

Fulci is one of those good directors from Italy but i still think Argento and Bava is way better.

Someone said he has lack of attention. This is true for Fulci, because in seven doors of death, which was filmed in nola and surronding areas, there is so many plot flaws. But most are plot flaws that only people from here would know about..... its still aggrevating.....

Lucio Fulci is the sick and disturbing master and the horror God is Dario Argento.Fulci is a darker and more twisted version of Argento and his vision of horror as well.I love all his work.New York Ripper is my favorite and I believe his best work.

It's twisted and I like it. A Cat in the Brain is another one with Fulci's self effacing humor and anger in his gore.

i dunno why people love zombi II so much - i thought it was pretty lame and boring.. hard to keep interested with a wack plot and not alot of action

i love the beyond though - mainly because its also wack, but i was able to keep interested with some cool deaths n the overall weird dreamy feel of it

new york ripper was pretty cool i thought - nice brutal killings

^^ Because a zombie fights a shark! Where else ya gonna see that?

I like Fulci a lot, stuff like Zombie, The Psychic, and Don't Torture A Duckling are classics of Italian horror cinema. At his best, he's up there with Bava and Argento. He had a real eye as a director and could make a fairly coherent film when there wasn't much of a story (which in a few cases, there wasn't). Fulci is definitely a guy worth remembering.

Death touch is a good movie, Not sure if that is the american title, but i thought is was good for the reason of eating ppl and being paranoid about it lol

or wait is that right? or is it touch of death? crap...

Of his movies that I have seen, I thought The Beyond was the best.  But even then, I don't see what people see in his stuff, I don't think it is anything special.

alien25 wrote:

Of his movies that I have seen, I thought The Beyond was the best.  But even then, I don't see what people see in his stuff, I don't think it is anything special.

i've said this before but i'll say it again, only my opinon but i agree with you alien, i think Fulci is the most over rated director in the horror genre, the only one of his horror films that i like is " Zombie Flesheaters"which is a good film, but everything else is eithier average at best or crap ( i.e Manhattan Baby). He does have some talent because i prefer his crime film " The Smuggler" and his  spaghetti westerns which while not being amongst the best in the SW genre, they are competently done.If you are a fulci fan, that's fine, no offence intended , just my personal view.

There is a really sweet Zombi 2 shirt at fright-rags.com

Big Fulci fan.  (and if you've seen Gates of Hell, do yourself a favor and watch The Beyond, much better cut)  His camera work is out of this world, but his plots/scripts are not quite up to snuff a lot of the time.  I put him up there with Argento and Bava.

I'm a huge Fulci fan. I love almost all of the Fulci films I've seen. I know a lot of them don't make much sense, but I love the dreamy atmosphere of his movies and the cheesy gore. My favorite Fulci movies are The House by the Cemetary, The Beyond and The New York Ripper.

2 things about Fulci-
Always have a great visual, and as you said almost a dreamlike experience.
And, eye gouging.  Always with the eyes.

azathoth wrote:

2 things about Fulci-
Always have a great visual, and as you said almost a dreamlike experience.
And, eye gouging.  Always with the eyes.

Yep, he loved him some eye gouging LOL. I never get tired of seeing fake eyes being gouged out.

Last edited by Suspiria_89 (2010-03-20 12:57:52)

I heart eye gouging because of Lucio Fulci.

Last edited by starkravingmad (2010-03-21 01:58:57)