Topic: Primeval Coming VERY Soon

With a very odd move Hollywood Pictures has moved their Croc film Primeval up to January 12th. That news comes straight from the official website. Why have they decided to dump the movie on our laps? At this point we have absolutely no idea. It was o...

Read More : Primeval Coming VERY Soon

Re: Primeval Coming VERY Soon

Agreed, its a very odd move.  January is usually the dumping ground for bad movies, but there are of course some good ones released in Jan like Hostel and Underworld Evolution but more than half the time its crap. 

I still want to see it though.  Probably better than most stuff hitting this month.  And I always enjoy a good killer animal flick.

Yea Hostel was put there to counter act all the Oscar hype films.. Some good "counter programming"..

Maybe they ran some test screenings and had no reason to hold onto it any longer, plus anything released around the same time as Grindhouse is going to loose an audience anyway.

Yea Grindhouse is gonna own the box office for awhile.. Not only will horror fans be going in droves but people who are just fans of Tarantino will be showing up.. I expect some big numbers for that one..

You have a good point H2K.. But usually these suits want ample time to promote the film..

IMO they are promoting it wrong anyway, they are not even showing it as a killer animal movie, even on the poster it says something about a "prolific" killer. I don't know, maybe I'm wrong.

Yea.. I dont' know its kind of risky either way.. I mean if you do it ambiguously like they are you can win big.. But if they go all out on the "Animal Attack" aspect it may turn some people off to it.. I think they are trying to stradle the line..

I can see that, maybe they are afraid of the stygma attached to animal attack movies, they don't want to end up in the wal-mart bin with Anacondas 2.

H2K has a good point as well as you Goon about marketing and release.

But, then again why release it so suddenly and why not instead release it near the end of the month or in Feburary?  Hitcher no doubt will have #1 or some high number and I don't think anything major in horror hits in Feb. 

Still, I think its obvious if you watch the trailer its a croc or some kind of animal but they are just not showing it.

hostel did great there but i dont know how this will do it might do alright but grindhouse would of crushed it.

Looks like a pretty cool flick.  What's the harm if it decides to get pushed UP rather than BACK?  It just gives us horror fans a chance to see it earlier than we though.  Plus, was anyone actually expecting a huge box office hit?  I wasn't.

I just think the fact they pushed it up so quickly and its appearing so suddenly is the thing that is surprising and they didn't push it into Feb or something that gives them more time.

I wasn't expecting a big bash either....just expecting a fun film that I wouldn't mind to own later on DVD.

TiM the Zombie wrote:

Looks like a pretty cool flick.  What's the harm if it decides to get pushed UP rather than BACK?  It just gives us horror fans a chance to see it earlier than we though.  Plus, was anyone actually expecting a huge box office hit?  I wasn't.

Does Land of the Dead ring a bell? That movie was pushed up about 4 months and did horribly for a Romero flick.. Granted it was pushed up to the summer it still did not work..

The other thiing is that now they have no real chance to build much hype for the film. Sure we know about it but what most suits think about are numbers.. So when a move like this is made it makes me think that it is a stinker..

Aye.

Land's prob it was thrown in during the summer and though the big tent pole pictures didn't do so hot....Summer isn't a time for a horror movie.

it was brought out at a REALLY bad time, but it also lacked in alot of areas.