Topic: What's wrong with The Ring (US version)

This film makes more than one top 10 scariest movies of all time list, but a lot of people think it had its moments but the film fell apart at the end. I am one of those. I recently watched it again and I'm trying to figure out why I felt that way in the first place. Not sure if it was how conveniently Rachel had her vision of what happened to Samara or if making a copy of the tape was too simple of a resolution.

So if you're one of those that thought it was a decent movie (or not) tell me what you think was wrong with The Ring.

For the record I have not seen Ringu so I cannot compare how well Hollywood remade the original.

Re: What's wrong with The Ring (US version)

It was a close remake to the original, albeit with less shock factor and more of an intense feeling, though I prefered the pseudo-calmness of Ringu.

I don't think the remake felll apart that much at the end, but it just didn't have the same gritty feeling of Ringu unfortunately.

Sort of like Ju-on and the grudge

Woah.. I totally dug the remake more than the original.. I think Gore Verbinski did a wonderful job with the cinematography and atmosphere in this film. I think there is an overall consesus that this was a good remake. People differ when it comes to which they liked best..

I think it just comes down to culture for me. Ringu had a lot of cultural things in the movie such as the water and the sea. People in Japan and other Asia countries have very weird fears.. They seem to be disturbed by things that just can't be explained more than us. For some reason they are also very cautious about water..

I don't think anything went wrong with the U.S. version.. I think the vision came to her as a product of her searching for all the clues that she found.. Then in a fit of rage it all came flooding into her mind and she put it all together.

The vision was a bit convenient for me, however I still think the movie overall was pretty good. There were some decent scares and the tension held up well throughout the film.

So how would you rate The Ring compared to other great horror movies? Should it be considered one of the great horror films? If not, then why not? I would not rate it as one of the greatest, the reason being that vision. I'd rather be left to think rather than be told. I had the same problem with The Eye. That could have easily been one of my favorites had it not been for the end.

I dont think it should be considered one of the great horror films mainly because it is a remake.  Although i think the plot is clever and that in itself is worth some credit.  The scene where Samara (or whatever the little girl's name is, i forgot) crawls out of the TV was very creepy when i first saw it.  The way she moved, the way she looked blew me away.  I think that scene imparticularly will be remembered.  As for a classic, i dont think so.

Maybe great was the wrong word. How about one of the "scariest" horror films of all time? I wouldn't think remake status would have anything to do with that, but I agree, TiM, the label of "great" for The Ring should probably go to the original version if it is considered great at all.

Well apparently you like movies that I dislike.. I hate being left up in the air.. I like to know where the director is going with something.. There is definetly a difference between tying up the story and just leaving you guessing. I loved The Eye and I would put that in with some of the greatest films to come out of Asia along with A Tale of Two Sisters, Battle Royale, and the Juon seiries.

I think it will be go down as one of the "great" horror films of this decade.. It will be one of those films that 10 years from now kids will be renting to watch and scare each other with. Much like I think people will do with Saw and Devils Rejects. Thats really what it comes down too. I don't think in 10 years people will be renting House of Wax, See No Evil, The Omen remake, movies like that... The Ring was by far the scariest PG-13 movie to come out in a very long time.

Sometimes I just like things that are, no genetically altered, scientific reasoning, just... it is because it is. That's not to say I don't like to know what's going on, but that I don't need a moment of exposition to spell it all out for me in some WOW moment.

But like I said, I do like The Ring. Considering much of what has come out of the decade of remakes, this is one of the scarier films. And you're right, Goon, no one will be rushing out to rent House of Wax or some of the horror films of recent years, but I think the remake in general will define the genre for the start of the 21st century. But that's another thread.

fearmaker wrote:

Sometimes I just like things that are, no genetically altered, scientific reasoning, just... it is because it is. That's not to say I don't like to know what's going on, but that I don't need a moment of exposition to spell it all out for me in some WOW moment.

Well I know what your saying but lets look at the target audience for The Ring just for a second.. I am guessing with that film they were going at high schoolers and maybe even a little younger.. Like 13 or 14.

I don't want to throw any blanket assumptions about people in that age range but lets be honest they like constant action and something nicely wrapped up and explained to them in a nice tidy box.. If you don't believe me look at all the screenings that movies go through in order to change the ending in some movies..

I'll even say that most people like movies that way.. The mainstream audience anyway.. People who just go to the movies that get good reviews or see a trailer that caught their eye.. For example Dodge Ball was given a "uplifting" ending after audiences hated the original ending..

Like I said a few posts up.. I viewed the revelation that Rachel had as something that came to her in a fit of rage.. Like when you are in the shower and something suddenly occurs to you.. I'm sure thats happened to you before.. Why can't that happen in a movie?

I would stick with it being one of the creepiest films of all time.  Your right, it being a remake has nothing to do with its ranking status.  "The thing" goes to show that.  One of the main reasons i liked the Ring is because of its plot.  I thought it was very clever.  The little twist at the end made it even better.  But, the original asian film "Ringu" does hold the "original plot" in which it deserves the credit.  As for it going down in horror movie history i wouldnt place it near.  But hey, thats my opinion.

I think we can all agree on something though.  The Ring 2 is trash.

Goon wrote:

I viewed the revelation that Rachel had as something that came to her in a fit of rage.. Like when you are in the shower and something suddenly occurs to you.. I'm sure thats happened to you before.. Why can't that happen in a movie?

Perhaps I've been in the shower and remembered where I placed my keys, but never have I had an epiphany of the supernatural. Listen, I'm not saying it's impossible but it always seems like the easy way out for filmmakers. If I can suspend my disbelief that a dead girl in a well can make a video tape then I can certainly accept that "normal" people can suddenly gain psychic abilities, but I thought they could have used a better method for closure.

I do know all too well about test screenings and the fact that few directors can command final cut on their films. Typical film business practice but could also be the death of creativity and originality. If you read Down and Dirty Pictures, how many times did the Weinsteins want a movie to be like this film or that film even when they hired a proven talent to direct. Maybe that was the case in The Ring, I don't know.

But TiM has it right, Ring 2 was terrible.

heh yea we can all agree Ring 2 was trash.. I wish they would have went the route of the short film that came with The Ring, Rings.. That was a great way to make a movie. I loved the story and really wish they would have went that way..

Yea I'm not really a fan of the Weinsteins. They are like big media giants and if the movie isn't what they want forget it.. no one will ever see it. But on the other hand some of my favorite directors are very loyal to them, Kevin Smith, Robert Rodriguez, and Quentin Tarantino..

i thinks its real cool, scary original(the story), creepiest child ever on film i think, made me want to turn the tv off real fast after it went all PSSSSH after the movie