Topic: Which country makes the best horror movies?

Re: Which country makes the best horror movies?

Maybe not at the current moment, but historically speaking, I have to say that America makes the best horror movies. Aside from the USA, my vote goes to Italy.

1. Italy
2. Asia tied with America

Depends on what you classify as horror.

For scariest, Asia wins hands down
For bloodiest the Western European bloc, Italy, Spain
Slashers then it is the US
For the idea of twisted views Canadian
For comedy horror, and some real fucked ideas then UK

As I stated it depends on what you call horror.

i like Asian movies...and Italy has some good ones, too.

Asia's a continent everyone....not a country.  tongue  Just thought that should be known

1. USA - slashers and zombie films
2. European giallos
3. Asian horror

jmh314 wrote:

Asia's a continent everyone....not a country.  tongue  Just thought that should be known

Well, It seems like you can't just pick one country, so we just picked Asia in general haha

jmh314 wrote:

You're wrong also....... Asia is Dario's daughter tongue

JMH, I am aware that Asia is a continent so instead change my answer to the following so as not to upset your sensibilities

1: Japan, Korea, Thailand, for scariest
2: Slashers it is the US
3: Bloodiest it is as stated the western Latin bloc of Europe, mostly Spain and Italy
4: Twisted views Canadian
5: Comedy horror UK

Is that better.

The northeastern conflux of siberia and Mongolia have the scariest Yak movies.

Actually has anyone checked out Bollywood Horror-Go Google it is is so funny.
I think Japan has some of the scariest horror that is yet unjaded therefore its makers come up with some truly scary ideas usually relating to Ghosts that have a strong basis in their culture.
Italian is also great for art such as that of Argento and early horror
and what do you mean fucked up British comedy horror........Brit horror is great and we did have Hammer and if anyone watches the Hammer telly series it is still as scary today as it was then. So:P

Italy.......then Lynch (he's his own country big_smile )

I've never looked at it like what country made this movie I love. Just keep makin half ass and better movies all over the world. DO it for us horror freaks is all i ask

Lately, France has been impressing the hell outta me.

Seems while america is churning out the next PG-13 remake the frenchies are giving us solid, REAL horror like : Ils, Sheitan, Haute Tension, Frontiere(s), Inside, etc.

Amazing stuff.

I have to go with hands down America.  I'm not a huge fan of foreign horror but I definitely check it  out as often as possible.  (loved Ichi, Ringu, Bava, Most of Argento)

I think I prefer American horror because I fully understand it just on a cultural level.  I can't relate to the J Horror and the ghosts because I don't have that desire for nostalgia or strong ties to my family (i.e. failing the family name by not becoming what my parents envisioned).  My family gets along great and all, but the point is from a cultural understanding, different cultures are afraid of different things with examples here:

Invasion of the Body Snatchers - Cold War/Communism
The Thing - AIDS
They Live - Regan, Anti establishment
Exorcist - Loss of a loved one

these films can all relate to me on some level that i feel i don't get from giallo or j-horror.  Thats just me though I guess

jmh314 wrote:

Yes but there is Tartan Asia Extreme....best foreign horror flicks by far...Someone else said Canadians are twisted...you're damn right we are!

France
America
Korea

Im probably not gonna win many fans after this but American horror has been pretty gash at the moment. There have been some exceptions. The problem is it's mostly remakes of classics, remakes of foreign movies or sequels and prequels to other movies. Not really much originality at the moment.

Not just saying this cause I'm from Scotland but I'm Lovining British Horror just now.

Also the French and Spanish seem to be producing a lot of quality and very nasty little flicks!!

Asian horor is a hit or miss for me. Someone come out with an idea and everyone immediately copies it...

Last edited by RoughCut (2008-06-11 02:45:06)