Re: Masters of Horror Season 2

I found it to be alright. Is it just me or does the MoH series look to be on somewhat of a tight budget per episode? The best part about Pro-Life is that the creatures are not CG. Having said that, the creature designs were sub-par compared to The Thing, (one such creature was a blatant rip-off of a famous sequence in Carpenter's The Thing. [can you rip-off creatures from your own movie!?]). The acting was ok, however, some of the minor characters did really stupid things, (i.e. what happens during the gunfight outside and in the hallways of the abortion clinic). I'd recommend seeing this episode for the one disgusting scene towards the end of the show... pretty sick shit i tells ya.

I say Carpenter didn't put any effort at all into it. I was looking forward to this episode so much, then after seeing it, thinking, that was nothing special. Ron Perlman was the only good thing about Pro-Life. He was kinda creepy like his usual self.
There were no on screen creature kills which was a big let down. He definitely wasn't trying to push the limit of horror for television viewing thats for sure.

Thats kind of a shame to hear.  I was really lookin' forward to that episode.  Oh well, I'll just have to wait until the DVD release.

I have to disagree about Pro-Life, it was a really good episode. It wasn't about the monster coming into the clinic and killing everyone and in the episode you have to ask yourself who the real monster was, the dad or the demon. I have been trying to post reviews for you guys on all the episodes as they air. Of this season I really like Pro Life and The V Word, and then Family and Sounds Like. Pelts is the next episode and I love the story it is based on so I can't wait for that, plus I think it has Meatloaf in it.

Yea this is the one episode I am really looking forward to.. If the monster didn't look good you do have to put into account that one this is TV and two KNB has a really short window of time to create them.. So both budget and time come into play..

Pro-Life is my least favorite when I had such high hopes for it and I can't imagine any other episodes are going to be this bad.

***SPOILER***

Could be a spoiler below so don't read it if you haven't seen Pro-Life yet or if you do don't blame me tongue

I don't think the dad was evil or a monster. He was deceived into thinking he was praying to God and doing God's will. The demon (in rubber demon suit) wanted him to stop his daughter (which the demon impregnated) from getting an abortion, but all this time the dad believed it was God speaking to him telling him to protect the baby.

I think this was all about the creature, demon, devil, whatever it was.
I just never thought this episode had much substance to it. No scares, no suspense, no nothing. There was a gunshot blast to the head of the security guard (he grew his head back somehow) which certainly didn't save this episode of Masters of Horror!

It wasn't just the creature, it was about the second half of the episode that to me, was disappointing.
Why did the father even bother to mutilate the doctor, when for all he knew another doctor was performing the abortion on his daughter? What did the demon do after carrying the dead baby creature away?? Why didn't the demon kill the mother who killed it's baby?? Did the demon kill the dad??

All good questions, but in a hour format how much closure or storyline can you expect. I liked it because it was gross and fun to watch.

Yeah I thought it was also great that the creatures in Prolife were not CG. It made the episode a lot better. I am also looking forward to Pelts because it is adapted from F. Paul Wilson short story and directed by Dario Agento.

Been kinda dissappointed in all of them so far...not the cutting edge horror I had hoped for...but better than watching Pokemon with the kids.

Well we could be stuck watching the next great teen drama put out by the CW or UPN, it's not like there is a whole lot of horror on tv to pick from.

That's true...kind of have to take what we get. Got MofH and Supernatural on the WB..or the CW..or whatever it is this week.

Theres still 8 more episodes to come and I look forward to each one. But hey just like the first season everyone has their own favorites. (like in everything)

I just finished watching Pro-life and Pelts last night. eh
Pro-life got its undercurrent statement out yes, but it could have been more intensely
written and more tension included, all the elements were there and great characters to work with, it all seemed forced and plastic, disapointment.
Pelts- ahh Meatloaf we are getting old sniff, no more Paradise by the dashboard light, but he did give a great acting job as a creepy, oooey guy:)
The backstory has so much to be explored I was bummed they whitewashed it.
Argento directed so I am appeased to an extent and its an adaptation of F. Paul Wilson shortstory. I am intriged to read his writings, The Keep is on my list.
so far The V word tops as my fave, I like a horror story to make me catch me breath or at least remind myself to breathe and feel relief I am not that character.

Last edited by thedeadshallrule (2006-12-02 10:05:43)

Just watched Dario Argento's Pelts. What can I say except he did it again and so far Pelts is my favorite

*edit*
I meant so far of season 2 not including the 1st season

Last edited by DemonToSome (2006-12-03 01:20:36)

Pelts is one of the best of this season wo a doubt.

here is the neat site with the moh schedule on it enjoy

http://www.sho.com/site/mastersofhorror/home.do

Before seeing Pelts, the plot outline sounded like it was going to make for a silly schlock of a horror film: 'A Giallo-style erotic/horror tale about stolen raccoon pelts that turn violently against those who covet them.'

After viewing Pelts, I'm quite happy to say Argento's entry is the best this season and on par with Miike's Imprint in terms of gore and visually disturbing scenes. Yes that's right, there's none of that 'is this crappy thing supposed to frighten us?' which we saw in 'Fair-Haired Child' and the acting is above the usuall Masters of Horror standards, (Meatloaf does a fine job of portraying a bad tempered owner of a furrier ).

Did anyone see the tv spots for this episode? I remember seeing the actual fur coat come to life with all the raccoon heads popping out but that wasn't in the final cut of the episode aired on Scream.

The only TV spots I have seen for it were those real short sections of a few episodes, when she looks through the peephole in the door and sees Meatloaf showing a fur coat.
So far this season, Pelts has pushed the envelope of regular TV showing. Thats what it's all about IMO

I don't remember that tv spot, I remember it from a different movie. I put up a review of Pelts and agree it is one of the better and gorier eps this season or even last season. I have Imprint but have yet to watch it, not sure why but plan to do so soon.

neversummer wrote:

Before seeing Pelts, the plot outline sounded like it was going to make for a silly schlock of a horror film: 'A Giallo-style erotic/horror tale about stolen raccoon pelts that turn violently against those who covet them.'
Did anyone see the tv spots for this episode? I remember seeing the actual fur coat come to life with all the raccoon heads popping out but that wasn't in the final cut of the episode aired on Scream.

I guess what we see in ads isn't always included in the final cut or is filmed especially for the commercial spots. Maybe what you've seen will be included in the special features when it comes out on dvd.

I don't know what to think of "The Screwfly Solution". It's not bad but it just doesn't seem to fit, IMO into Masters of Horror series.
Maybe after a few viewings I might like it more, but this one really seems like an episode of The Twilight Zone

They took a break for a couple weeks and the episodes start up again next week with Valerie on the Stairs an original screen story by Clive Barker written just for MOH series.
I'm really lookin forward to this one. Being a Barker fan I have to say it's going to be good tongue

DemonToSome wrote:

They took a break for a couple weeks and the episodes start up again next week with Valerie on the Stairs an original screen story by Clive Barker written just for MOH series.
I'm really lookin forward to this one. Being a Barker fan I have to say it's going to be good tongue

I am too a fan of Clive Barker. I can't wait for it to air.

I have to say that Valerie on the Stairs is one excellent episode. One of the best!

This is pure Barker, no doubt about it and Mick Garris did a great job with it.

It's about a guy who checks into a run down house for unpublished writers. He can stay for free until he gets his book published. He meets odd writers staying there............................... and theres a naked girl.........   
I'm not going to say much more

Valerie on the stairs was quite good, but Barker is a difficult man to translate to the screen. Specially the ending. Very Clive Barker-ish, but unfortunately I don't think it worked visually. I have not read the short story (Is there one? I thought I'd read them all...) but it probably works there. And some of the dialogue really seemed forced and unnatural. In my opinion...

So far it's been a bit of a disappointment. I liked "Family" and "Sounds Like" but that's kinda it. I read the short story "Sounds Like" is based upon, shortly before it aired, and they did a great job of translating it. Quiet and unsettling, and well-acted. And quite sad. I also liked "the Screwfly Solution" but it was more sci-fi than horror...

The others (at least Pelts and Pro-life) were gory, but not very well made. Or scary. I haven't really been really scared by any of them, come to think of it. Unsettled, yes. Scared, no. Then again, I only really enjoyed about 5 episodes of season one. Maybe I'm picky. And weird.