Topic: DVD Trading Ideas

Its come up many times and I am now getting emails about is. So the question is how can we setup a dvd trading system on the boards that will enable you fine folks to trade DVD's but also not cause me ANY headaches. I can probly code just about anything, so the question becomes how do we make it work so everyone feels safe trading dvds with other community members?

Re: DVD Trading Ideas

Good question.

I don't think there's any way to do it without causing a few headaches in the beginning stages to say the least. Other boards use 'Good Traders List' & 'Bad Traders List' in their forums to discuss their pleasant and not so pleasant trading experiences... I guess that would be the easiest way.

so we would setup a traders forum, have a good traders / bad traders thread, and that would be sufficient? Oh and of course a clear caveat that I have NO responsibility for your trading ventures.

Indeed.

I should also say that each one of us should have our own thread of what DVDs we are willing to trade so that everyone can see a clear idea of what each of us has in stock and then via IM or email set up the trade.

I agree with golden if we want to trade then it's all us otherwise it's going to be a huge pain in the ass for you Meh and everyone has to understand that if there is a problem they can't go to you for help.

Yes, as you and hard2kill said, it needs to be clear that it is trade at your own risk. I think a simple forum would work, but we may want to put limits on who can participate such as someone who has been a member for so long or has so many posts. If someone wants to get involved immediatly we may want to require them to provide a third party feedback such as eBay.

If you could, code some sort of trust score where after a trade you can post a positive or negative and this would be displayed in our profiles or under our avatar.

Also, we may want to require that trades have delivery confirmation or tracking that way there are no hurt feelings if it gets lost in the mail, which isn't too uncommon. I would hate for some good members of this board to hold a grudge against each other over something that was an accident.

Definatly.

And I do suggest that we post up pictures of said DVDs, at least the backs of them to show off any scratches or blemishes.  Its not I don't trust you guys...I do have 1 or 2 used DVDs but I like to inspect them in some capacity before trading or buying.

See already it's getting complicated with trust scores and pictures of the disk, If this is going to work it has to be a total trust thing. if the DVD is scratched say so, if it is beat up and skips and you know this don't try and trade it or be upfront about it. Sorry guys I just see this being an unbelievable pain in the ass for all that run this site. Just my two cents.

My question is, does anyone really want to trade their DVD's. I know I don't want to get rid of any of mine. I bought them to keep. Even if it's crap I might be in the mood to watch it again smile

It cool H2K, it was bound to pop up sooner or later.  But for example a DVD i rent might skip on my PS2 but not on my DVD player.  Might Skip on the comp, but not the PS2 so....but...twas bound to show up.

*thinks*

Good point Demon.  And I must agree that for myself I can't think of one of my movies I want to give away.

I agree, most of the stuff I have I bought for a reason and any I would have traded I probably already have done so with a used DVD place in my area. Unless it's hard to find stuff in which case i could see a forum for that. i see your point golden.

yeah me too I can't see trading them myself..borrowing yes trading probably no..

I do a lot of movie trading as I am a compulsive Horror movie buyer and end up with a lot of DVDs that I will never watch again, I would definately utilize a trading section.

I'm not sure if this is an idea that is still being considered or not, but I'd be willing to trade off a couple of DVDs that I have. Again, I'm not sure what the rules would be, or how the folks here would like it done, but I'd be willing to send off the 2 DVDs I have first (as a show of good faith) then once they were recieved then I would trust my trade partner to fulfill thier end of the deal.

Just curious, if this idea is still being kicked around...if not, sorry for revisiting an old debate...

what dvds did you have to trde?

You know guys with the new reputation in place this becomes an even easier way to do things.. If someone is snaky you will be able to tell by there rep... I mean I don't think anyone that has posted in this thread so far would try and hose me because you guys are here like everyday...

So I have no problem trusting anybody here.. Personally I'm not into trading but I do have a couple of films at the moment that I could dispose of..

I probably have a few things that could go up for trade, now that we have the rep points we know who the regulars are.

Well, to start with, I'll offer up Fear of the Dark and Satan's Playground....

Should we have a seperate thread when discussing specifics??? Just curious....

However you folks who make this happen would like it done...

what if i made it so you had a spot for the dvds you want to trade in your profile page? And you can then check the person's reputation and decide what you want to do. You can take away reputation from folks, and give rep to folks who trade and are fair.

Remember again I take NO responsibility for this smile

I think that would be cool...and thanks for offering!!!

I agree that this should be up to the individual as well, and that should be stated...There is a chance that any of us could get screwed...That comes with the territory....But them's the breaks..Might I suggest if you don't want to risk it, then realize that the only recourse we have is the effect on each others rep...
Does that sound resonable?

Killjoy, Id be interested in Satan's Playground....Let me shoot some trader titles over to you tonight....

ok so how bout i setup a Private messaging system, and a spot on your profile where you can put films you are willing to trade. And you can then barter amongst yourselves, with the BIG CAVEAT of its your problem if you get dinged. You can use the reputation to see who you can trust and not trust.

Thanks again Meh...That sounds good....

One other thing that might be worth mentioning.....Sometimes the mail system sucks, sometimes it does'nt..It may take a while to get stuff or send stuff out....Lets not hit the panic button too early...Get a reciept from the post office (whatever is cheapest, we don't need to spend alot of money on shipping..) so you have it for reference...Just an idea...

Sounds good to me