Topic: Anybody read or write horror?

Hey everyone, I was just curious, does anyone here read or write horror novels?

Re: Anybody read or write horror?

i dont write and the only reading of horror i do is pretty much here. Back in the day I used to read alot of stephen king.

I try to read what I can...  The last horror books read last month were Steven King's Cell and Richard Matheson's I Am Legend and Other Stories, both of which have been talked about extensively here.  I haven't found too many authors in the genra that grab my interest lately.  Although my gf bought me Kontz's Frankenstine parts I & II which I thought was excellent.  I did recently dusted off a copy of David Morell's Black Evening: Tales of Dark Suspense which I see is now availble in audiobook version.  A very good read if you like short stories.  I'm always on the look-out for a great book.

I read as much horror as I can.  I have read THE STAND by Stephen King, Interview with the Vampire by Anne Rice, MEG by Steve Alten, and quiet a few H.P Lovecraft stories.  I am reading The Call of Cthulhu right now. 

After that I plan to read Desperation by King, the Keep by F. Paul Wilson, and Operation Vampyr and Blood Red Army and Twilight of the Dead *to be released in August*.  All are part of the Fiends of the Eastern Front series by David Bishop.

I have also written a werewolf short story.  It was about 20 pages long but I edited it thinking that it could get into my school's lit magizine by students called Voices and Visions.  I cut it down, mainly edited a lot of exposition and toned down the violence and gore.  Yet still, *sarcasm*  well wouldn't ya know it it didn't get it.  Yet I did get it put in an online horror magizine called Lost Souls.  A lot of the short stories are really good.

Sadly, I have lost my original 20 page story, I am planning to go back one day and rewrite it.

But, here be my lycan story.  For werewolf fans..you might catch a few references smile

http://lostsoulsmag.tripod.com/main/id127.html

I have also written a 69 page vampire novella that is more drama than horror called Sunset.

Last edited by thegoldensimatar (2006-07-24 16:14:28)

I read alittle here and there.. I try and read a book and than I get sidetracked and never seem to finish. I'm still in the middle of Stephen Kings Cell.. I have also read Kings Pet Semetery and Clive Barkers Books of Blood. I also tried to read Kings IT and Brian Keenes City of the Dead..

I want to pick up Jack Ketchums The Girl Next Door.. From what I have heard it is a really brutal read..

Brutal as in long read or brutal as in content?

I read a pretty good bit, but I have never tried writing. I think I would like to one day, but I would not know how to get started.

thegoldensimatar wrote:

Brutal as in content.. The story is basically the tale of a young girl whos crazy Aunt orders children to brutally torture her while another child looks on..

I read a lot of horror literature.  My favorite writers are Edgar Allan Poe, H.P. Lovecraft and Stephen King.  I also enjoy writing a lot of short stories and a few scripts, though none of them are up on sites.  Although, I am looking into good sites for puting up things.

My favorites from the three above mentioned authors are:
Stephen King: The Stand
Edgar Allan Poe: The Masque of the Red Death
H.P. Lovecraft: At the Mountains of Madness

Goon wrote:
thegoldensimatar wrote:

Brutal as in content.. The story is basically the tale of a young girl whos crazy Aunt orders children to brutally torture her while another child looks on..

Sounds like this case:
http://www.crimelibrary.com/notorious_m … ens/1.html

I read the book "The Girl Next Door" which is based upon this real life case. It was very disturbing knowing that it was closely based on real events. So, I may have to check out your story.

Dude...that is totally fucked up.

the only writing i've done has been in the horror genre. a 144 page (before i cut any of it) zombie script, and have started a thriller done giallo style.

Ive read Stephen Kings Dreamcatcher, Kujo, Pet Cemetery, The Shining, The Stand, Misery in the past.  But I'll tell you something, none of them even got close to being as enjoyable as Cell was.  That book was amazing and every page was worth wild.  I suggest that everyone reads it eventually.  Another good book I read was Resident Evil: City of the Dead.  It was a fast read but still had a lot of gory action moments.

As of writing.  I have started a zombie script in the past and deleted it cause' I didnt have any more ideas.  Its hard to think of idea's with out ripping off other movies.

Yea The Girl Next Door is being made into a movie.. I'm wondering how this movie is going to be done.. Hopefully R rated, I can't see it being anything less if they follow that story.. It will be all the more disturbing knowing it is based on a true story..

Used to write a fair bit before I lost that vibe (it'll come back...some day), and have mellowed out on reading horror lately, though I got into Clive Barkers Book of Blood stuff recently.

Wow, I can't imagine how they are going to make this. (The Girl Next Door) The book includes some pretty graphic scenes involving rape and torture of a 14 year old girl, so I can't imagine it getting a wide release. I found the page in IMDB, so I will have to keep an eye on that.

Kind of related to filming this: Dakota Fanning is appearing in a movie called Hounddog in which her character is raped. This is pretty controversial, but it shows that they could be able to do it and appeal to a larger audience. Either way, this movie will be disturbing if it is anything like the book.

Last edited by Greg (2006-07-26 01:20:44)

Speaking of rape in films, Peter Jackson is adapting 'The Lovely Bones' as his next film.

I am interested in seeing the The Lovely Bones when it gets completed. It was interesting view of the afterlife, but it did get long winded in some places.

For those of you who write horror, have you ever been published or have you tried self-publishing?

I am interested in self-publishing because my goal would not be to become rich or famous, just to have a book out there with my name on it that people can buy if they happen to stumble upon it. Thanks.

Greg, go to the forums at www.AbsoluteWrite.com. There is a forum dedicated to proper self-publishing tips. This site is dedicated to finding the real services as opposed to all of the scams that are out there for writers.  Believe me, there have been many who have sank thousands and gotten nothing in return. Absolutewrite.com will help to avoid that.

If you write short stories Lost Souls Magizine is a good place to send your stuff.

http://lostsoulsmag.tripod.com/main/index.html

Its an online magizine with a lot of short stories and stuff.  I got one in issue 11 called 'Sea Wolves'.  It's my edited version from my original story.  On Word is its about 9 pages or so and my original was about 20.  I cut out mostly exposition and violence to submit it for my school's lit magizine.  Sadly it didn't get in sad

I have written a vampire novella and right now working on a werewolf story then I am planning a zombie story after that.

Thanks Stigman, there is a lot of great information there. I think I am going to go with Lulu. They have a package deal where you can get an ISBN number and there help with selling through Amazon and Barnes and Noble. Sounds pretty cool. Now, I just need to write the great American zombie novel. I have everything outlined, it is just a matter of getting it all laid out.

Thanks golden simatar, I will check out that site too.