Topic: Mexican horror...

Do any of you guys know any mexican horror films? I'm interested in watching what can my people do in this great genre. If there isn't any one that's worth a rent, maybe I'm going to have to make my own movie.

Re: Mexican horror...

umm one that i thought was a decent watch was From Dusk Till Dawn...not sure if you heard about it?  its manily about these two convicts hijacking this motor home with a family in it and they go to a bar to meet someone(dont remember why)..and they are stuck overnight where vampires run loose at that time of day in the bar. and they have to survive.

Well I was hoping a movie made by mexicans. Mexican production, a story here in Mexico not necessarily in spanish (it would very hard to sell a movie in spanish). But thanks for the tip, I haven't watched From Dusk Till Dawn but I've heard great things about it.

ummm "all souls day" dia de los muertos is based on that mexican mexico day of the dead holliday.....it was ok...i think it was a student film....or it won at sundance.....or some shit...worth watching.

Last edited by ZOMBIExLIFE (2007-01-29 01:23:24)

I'll look for "All Souls Day" and give it a chance. Not entirely a mexican movie but it seems like it's the closest that I'll find until I make my own film.

ya man its the closest i could think of right now...its not that bad.

I believe the movie, The Devil's Backbone took place in Mexico.  It is in Spanish, and it is a good movie.  Hope it's what your'e looking for.

Mexican horror would be intense, would it be a mix of language or subtitles? either would be kewl.  Would it be based on the old superstitions and traditions or newer modern age horror? That would be a subject/topic that would be really interesting to explore.

Yea as mentioned above The Devils Backbone is something you must see.. Pans Labyrinth is also a must.. Also the classic Dracula the spanish version some even say it is better than Bela Lugosi's.. I also saw a little indie mexican film Vampiros which isn't bad..

Every movie I mentioned is really Mexican directed by and starring Mexican actors.. All Souls Day is not really a Mexican movie.. It has to do with the holiday but it was made for the states..

ya it was early in the morning i wasent reading real well.... i wasent paying attention to the MEXICAN MADE move it was the first thing i thought of mexican...but you are right the spanish version of dracula is sick!

what is the title of the Mexican Dracula?

dracula...well the one i have is on the 75th aniversary edition dracula dvd...its amazing..even the documentarys are off the hook! i found mine at best buy for $20 its a two disc set.

I have watched a few that were pretty good, Rooms for Tourists came out of Argentina, Rojo Sangre is a very good flick starring Paul Naschey from director Christian Molina fand filmed in Spain, School killer and Rosemantia: Werewolf Hunter both from Spanish directors and crews and going back to the 70's I have seen Dracula's Great love also starring Paul Naschey. The first two I highly recommend.

The mexican Dracula movie it's quite good but I'm not sure if it's better than Lugosi's because I haven't watched the Lugosi movie (I know, I MUST watch it).

It sucks that there isn't any more modern mexican horror films. I think it would be really gory since us mexicans are really sick (I know that by watching the news not my own experience).

Typical modern horror could be done here in Mexico but I think that supertitions and traditions would make it more special. Or maybe mexican drug lords (that would be funny and EXTREMELY violent).

There's an old legend or myth here in Mexico about La Llorona (The Crying Lady) which is about a woman who killed her sons hundreds of years ago and now every single night you hear her cry "Ay! Mis Hijos" ("Ah! My sons!"). Maybe she could go killing kids in order to spread her pain or something like that, I don't know, I suck at creating ideas.

It should be in mexican spanish (quite different from other countries) but it would be really hard to subtitle because of the slang used here. It would definetly lose it's power. Writing the script would be really easy because out of 20 words about 15 are curses and stuff like that. Hehe.

Hell, it can even be made about the Chupacabras!!!

yes, I just came back to link this: www.km31.com.mx
it's going to be out this february 2nd
smile hope you may enjoy it.

Plus, check out for www.elipsis.net

cheers!

Both look promising but Elipsis looks more like a thriller than a horror movie. It doesn't matter, I'll probably go and watch both of them.

Perdita Durango is a cool little flick that deals with Santeria....

good stuff.......

I'm not sure if this film is Mexican, I'm pretty sure it is, but it's one of the best zombie films ever made.  Let Sleeping Corpses Lie.

Last edited by TiM the Zombie (2007-01-30 19:41:48)

TiM the Zombie wrote:

I'm not sure if this film is Mexican, I'm pretty sure it is, but it's one of the best zombie films ever made.  Let Sleeping Corpses Lie.

It's spanish/italian. I've been looking for it for quite some time and nothing! Nothing! I'm gonna have to order it, right? Damn it!

My guess is that you'd probably have to order it.  I'd suggest the Walking Dead Collection box set myself... comes with Let Sleeping Corpses Lie and five other "fairly" decent zombie titles.  It's also at a really reasonable price.  Check it out.

Go Here:
http://www.casanegrafilms.com/index_en.html

Braniac is pretty good, I have not seen the others.....