Topic: Your Favorite Mario Bava film

I'm a huge fan of Mario Bava's work and my favorite film is his most famous work Black Sunday. Mario Bava is a Italian director most famous for horror movies and giallos and his work was very unoticed around the world untill years after his death.
Those of you whos familliar with Bava's work, whats your vote for his best film?

Re: Your Favorite Mario Bava film

Also loving Black Sunday.  smile

Re: Your Favorite Mario Bava film

Have to go with Twitch of the Death Nerve.  That's the road map for almost all of the slashers from the late 70s/early 80s.  I think it would be hard to overstate the influence of that film.

Re: Your Favorite Mario Bava film

I love Bava and own both Anchor Bay box sets. One of his films that really surprised me was the original cut of Kidnapped which was excellent.

Re: Your Favorite Mario Bava film

Tough one cause I like Twitch of the Death Nerve alot but I went with Blood and Black Lace cause it's a fave of mine.

Re: Your Favorite Mario Bava film

moviemaven wrote:

Also loving Black Sunday.  smile

Thats my girl. Witches, Vampires and Goth settings all in one film. Old School rock. smile

Re: Your Favorite Mario Bava film

I need to buy that Bava boxset that has Black Sabbath in it.

You also forgot to add Beyond the Door 2(aka Shock) to the list but I was bored by that film.

Re: Your Favorite Mario Bava film

RIP wrote:

I need to buy that Bava boxset that has Black Sabbath in it.

You also forgot to add Beyond the Door 2(aka Shock) to the list but I was bored by that film.

Shock wasnt really one of his popular ones so did'nt include it, i also wasnt sure if i should have put in there Baron Blood too.

Re: Your Favorite Mario Bava film

I went with Twitch of the Death Nerve, but it was hard to choose between that and Black Sabbath, Black Sunday, and Kidnapped.  I love them all.

Re: Your Favorite Mario Bava film

I still need to see Blood and Black Lace.  I'm holding off from buying any more of his DVD's because I'm waiting to see if Anchor Bay does another box set.

Re: Your Favorite Mario Bava film

i have only heard  of one them, black Sunday and never see it and even heard of the rest

Re: Your Favorite Mario Bava film

It's a tough one between Black Sabbath and Bay of Blood, but I'll go with Sabbath. When I saw it in the theater the dead woman coming back for her ring was scary as hell. Plus it has Karloff. The great Karloff.

Re: Your Favorite Mario Bava film

BASSI wrote:

i have only heard  of one them, black Sunday and never see it and even heard of the rest

Bassi, u should give some of his movies a try when u can.

Black Sunday - his most famous - also Sleepy Hollow cinematography/art direction was influenced from this movie as well.

The Girl Who Knew Too Much - the first adapted giallo movie even before Argento

Bay of Blood aka Twitch of the Nerve Dead - Friday the 13th admitted to copying its style from this movie and if u ever seen both u'll see lots of similarities.

Black Sabbath - 3 short stories, the last two were the best, first one about girl on a phone wasent that good.

Planet of Vampires - Alien's art direction was influenced from this movie

As you can see he influenced many filmakers from the USA.

Re: Your Favorite Mario Bava film

fredgarvin wrote:

It's a tough one between Black Sabbath and Bay of Blood, but I'll go with Sabbath. When I saw it in the theater the dead woman coming back for her ring was scary as hell. Plus it has Karloff. The great Karloff.

Yes, that scene creeped me out to hell. Did u also know that Tim Burton was influenced from the makeup effects and lighting from that story for Beetlejuice near the end? Never realized it when i saw Beetlejuice a month ago in a long time.

Re: Your Favorite Mario Bava film

I too chose Black Sunday-but I also really like Lisa and the Devil which I find rather macarbre and scary. A much underrated flick with a really scary and suited for the part Telly Savalas. Boo!

Re: Your Favorite Mario Bava film

I had to go with "twitch" as well.  I liked a lot of these movies, but this one stuck with me most I think.

Re: Your Favorite Mario Bava film

Black Sabbath-A Drop of Water.
Very young when I saw this. To this day cannot stand to hear the sound of water dripping.

Re: Your Favorite Mario Bava film

I liked Black sunday, Absolutely loved Blood and Black Lace, but i don't know maybe its just the mood im in today, but I have to go with The Girl who Knew too Much.

and not just for John Saxon, the use of shadows were amazing, her seeing the killer everywhere (very halloween 78), and the crazy wire trap thing.  I loved it.

no other love for The Girl Who Knew Too Much?  Don't leave me hangin here

Re: Your Favorite Mario Bava film

Havent seen them all but from the ones I have seen, I went with Black Sabbeth.

Re: Your Favorite Mario Bava film

"black sabbath" in my opinon easily mario bava's best film by a mile.

Re: Your Favorite Mario Bava film

Black Sabbath.

Re: Your Favorite Mario Bava film

Poppascotch wrote:

I liked Black sunday, Absolutely loved Blood and Black Lace, but i don't know maybe its just the mood im in today, but I have to go with The Girl who Knew too Much.

and not just for John Saxon, the use of shadows were amazing, her seeing the killer everywhere (very halloween 78), and the crazy wire trap thing.  I loved it.

no other love for The Girl Who Knew Too Much?  Don't leave me hangin here

The Girl Who Knew Too Much is one that grew on me and now its one of those movies i can watch all the time. Its now up there next to Black Sunday. Glad to know someone one else liked that as much as i do.