Topic: Sylvester Stalone Making a Biography on Poe? Why?

Today, my friends and I were discussing movie careers.  And along the way, we thought it would be interesting to see what Sylvester Stalone was doing.  It turns out that Sylvester Stalone is writing and directing a biography on Edgar Allan Poe.  This news made me wish I was dead because I cannot see this movie being good or interesting or being made.  If anyone on this board has any real power in Hollywood or knows Stalone, please just tell him to stop.  Tell him to stop whatever he thinks he is doing.  What do you all think?  Am I alone on this?  Or is this the worst idea since Texas Chainsaw Massacre: The Next Generation or Gigli?

Edit:  Yes, I know this may not be considered a horror movie but think about it... it is written and directed by Sylvester Stalone...

Last edited by TheDudeWithTheShotgun (2007-01-26 22:51:13)

Re: Sylvester Stalone Making a Biography on Poe? Why?

*blinks*

Stallone mentioned this when he was answering fan mail in AICN:

Mr Stallone,

This is actually a two parted question, both of which have to do with your upcoming film, "Poe". First and foremost, what inspired you to sit down and write a screenplay based on the legendary writer's life. Secondly, there have been all kinds of casting news online, but you never know what to believe. In your interview with Variety, you mentioned that you want Robert Downey Jr. for the lead role. Do you have any updates for us?Sincerely,

Grant Gibson
aka "Big Daddy G"
Chardon, Ohio

I was introduced to Poe by accident. I was basically broke and freezing in New York in January of 1970 and decided to seek some shelter and heat in the New York Public Library, which is a citadel of extraordinary books. I struck up a conversation with a guard, who said I should go to the basement and check out the archives. I did, and seeing the actual writings of Poe really caught my imagination, because the way he would write would be to split the page down the middle and glue it in one long strip so he could get more words on the page. Everything about him was unique, so I thought he represented the heart and soul of what it’s like to be a struggling artist who is ahead of his time. I was thinking of Robert Downey, Jr., who would be wonderful, but so would several other young actors.

He's been researching this for a long time, and I think it could be good.  He's more than just ROCKY and RAMBO, y'know.

Last edited by Mirthquake (2007-01-27 02:54:21)

It could be good.  But Stallone isnt the guy you think of when you think of Poe or something like this.  Never been a fan of his.

Biography films aren't really my cup of tea, anyways.  But, I doubt that Stallone would be the right man for this... save it for someone a little more attached to the horror genre or scary movies, in that sense.

Why would it have to be somebody attached to the genre? A bio on Poe wouldn't necessarily fall into the horror genre to begin with. Couldn't somebody with a love for Poe make this film, and not be involved in the horror scene?

I'm not hearing a great reason for Stallone to not be attached to this project....I mean Ben Affleck's name was attached to Feast as an executive producer and we all love that film!!  smile

Ben Affleck did not write and direct FEAST though.  Stalone is writing and directing it and I just feel that he is not the right person for it.  I feel that it should be handled by Tim Burton (not necessarily because he is in the horror genre) but because he is a huge Poe fan.  I mean, has anyone ever seen his short film Vincent?

Also, the first person on Stalone's mind (if he really is serious about doing this) should be Jeffrey Combs.  He did an amazing job in The Black Cat as Edgar Allen Poe.

Last edited by TheDudeWithTheShotgun (2007-01-27 13:15:52)

But who's to say that Stallone isn't a huge fan of Poe? Maybe he is. I'm not defending him, or saying he's a good choice, but what if he does the material justice and makes something important?

And I would love to see Jeffrey Combs, but never will because he won't help bring investors.

My point regarding Ben Affleck was to reflect the fact that certain people become involved in films that you wouldn't have expected and make things that some of us come to love (I'm thinking Mel Gibson with Braveheart...couldn't stand it myself, but others LOVE this film). Who knew that Mel Gibson could do that?

And who among us didn't love First Blood when it was originally released? hahahah...come on...show Rambo some love!!!

But just there he would not be doing it justice.  Sure, he could use a big screen, flashy actor to play Poe just to please the investors but what is the point?  What is the point of choosing name value over actual skill?  Now, I am not saying it is not done in Hollywood all the time (because it is) but just because it is used does that make it right?  Lets face it, Jeffrey Combs may not be "A-List" but he is the right man for the job.  I, being a huge Poe fan, was blown away when I saw him.  He captured the true tormented soul that is Edgar Allen Poe.  And honestly, if Stallone just wants to make another dime and impress moronic investors with choosing some big name over someone who can do it, then I see no point.  Although, it would prove that Stallone really cares nothing for what he is doing and rightfully out him as just another Michael Bay.

On a side note: A lot of people say Stallone can write but I do not see that.  Now sure, they will mention the Rocky films but to be honest, only the first Rocky film was worth anything (in my opinion) and even then I do not believe that he wrote the script.  Also, everything else which he seems to have gained any credit on as a writer was something he co-wrote such as Cliffhanger (which was more Michael France's doing as can be seen in everything).

Last edited by TheDudeWithTheShotgun (2007-01-27 13:44:17)

I never said that the writer/director HAD to be attatched to the horror genre... I just think it would be better.  I'm not a big poe fanatic, but for the most part his poems were dark, right?  Someone with a darker mind (ie. a horror director) might be the better choice...

You know when I first heard this I thought you guys were going to say that Sage Stallone was doing it.. I'm not how many of you know Sylvester Stallones son Sage but he is the man who started up Grindhouse Releasing who distributed The Beyond, Cannibal Holocaust, and Cannibal Ferox... So Sylvester I think definetly has something more to him than what you guys know..

Most people that I talk to fall into horror because they were somewhat exposed to it by their parents.. I'm not sure if Sylvester is a big fan of horror or not but their is always a chance that he is...

If he is so well versed in Poe as he says he is then I have faith in him.
Just cause he is so known for Rocky and Rambo, doesn't mean he won't do a good thing with a Poe script. All it takes is someone who is into him and studied him and knows things that Poe fans know, and makes it interesting and macabre, than I think he has something going.

I have to agree with groovyghoul on this one.  Although Stallone is not known for going anywhere near the horror genre, I don't see this biography as a horror movie.  Besides, Poe was also a leader of the American Romantic Movement, along with doing detective fiction and crime fiction.  He even did science fiction.  Poe was also enlisted in the army for a while.  Found this information on Wikipedia if anyone wants to check it.  I believe Stallone could do it because there is no reason why he couldn't do it.  The movie does sound interesting and I think I would try to see it.  Now, if it was a movie on Poe's horror stories, then Stallone might not be the best choice, however since it is on Poe himself, I think Stallone would do just fine.

vorwald2006 wrote:

I have to agree with groovyghoul on this one.  Although Stallone is not known for going anywhere near the horror genre, I don't see this biography as a horror movie.  Besides, Poe was also a leader of the American Romantic Movement, along with doing detective fiction and crime fiction.  He even did science fiction.  Poe was also enlisted in the army for a while.  Found this information on Wikipedia if anyone wants to check it.  I believe Stallone could do it because there is no reason why he couldn't do it.  The movie does sound interesting and I think I would try to see it.  Now, if it was a movie on Poe's horror stories, then Stallone might not be the best choice, however since it is on Poe himself, I think Stallone would do just fine.

I know all of that and more on Poe.  I just do not want it to be ridiculous.  There are so many ways this film can go wrong with Stallone doing it.  I just have no faith in the project.  I shall remain waiting for the release and reviews.  Let the critics tear it apart... or anyone here.

I understand what your'e saying.  This documentary could be a hit, or it could be a complete failure (or something in between).  I'll be honest in saying that it was quite surprising and unexpected to see Stallone writing and directing this movie.  But when it comes to something that sounds as interesting as this, I just don't want to rule out the possibility that Poe could be a good movie, even if Stallone is directing/writing it.  Whether or not the critics or the members at HM like this movie, I think I would check it out to satisfy my own personel tastes for a movie.

Come on now give the Italian Stallion a shot at it..if he wasn't into then why would he be doing the documentary on it in the first place..I'm sure he did his research so I do have faith in him..I'm a big fan of poes also my daughter is named after one of his poems and I wouldn't want to see his work thrown to the wolfs but I'm sure it won't also long as he did his homework like a good little boy..

Rocky was nominated for ten Academy Awards in all, including two for Stallone himself, for Best Actor and for Best Original Screenplay. In addition to winning Best Picture, Rocky won for Best Director and Best Film Editing. Rocky cost about US$1.1 million to make, and grossed about US$225 million worldwide. The sequel Rocky II was released in 1979 and also became a major success, grossing US$200 million worldwide.  Stalone wrote the screenplay for Rocky in 3 days!

Anyone who can do that has my vote for any project he wants to do.  Period!  By the way I'm a huge Poe fan and period film fan.  So I hope this does turn out well.