Topic: Cell phones Distraction?

I found this to be an interesting topic as since I am in college, I have noticed that cell phones tend to disrupt class and some students can't remember to turn them off.  What do you think, are they distractions or not, why do you think so?

Re: Cell phones Distraction?

I say no because I'm not in a spot where they become distracting.

ive always found them annoying just because in the middle of a lecture or whatever you hear the ringtone that the person has. I also have friends that keep them on 24/7 and more than once have i had to postpone a conversation because of that call. I think that its fine for prople to ahve them for emergencies but we've taken these things so far with technology that they have the internet on them and much more.  Some people like all these things and thats fine with me, not my choice to decide what u buy or do. I just see the cell phone as an emergency device only.

i say yes its VERY dangerous for those on the road with people who use their phones. That said i use hands free and that to me is NOT dangerous. I can drive and focus and chat at the same time.

I agree with Meh because you see so many people with cell phones while driving and it amazes me how they keep their cars on the road.  Research has shown that talking on a cell phone has negative effects on the driver.  If I would just get into a conversation with someone in the vehicle (without a cell phone), I would become quite distracted as it has happened to me.

I never thought of that. But yeah I agree about drivers who use cellphones. I saw an episode I think it was mythbusters and they actually proved by testing themselves that driving and talking on a phone isn't a wise thing to do.

I have a cell phone and use it quite frequently, but... they are a disturbance.  On the road and in the classroom.

HANG UP AND DRIVE

They did a mythbusters in which they compared the effects of driving while talking on a cell phone to driving drunk, and the results were highly similar if not the same.

Cell phones are a distraction and a leash : p

I vote yes as well.  People need to know when to turn them off (or to silent).  There have been a few times that I had to pull off the road to take a very improtaint call while in the car.  My new phone has hands free capability too.  I use my phone more for time, alarm, calendar and mp3 player than actual phone use.  I go just over 300 min per month.

we were sitting in Subway having lunch, counting how many people passed with a cellphone to their heads. 18 outta 20...my Monster and I looked at each other and said, If we EVER get that buzy to have to drive and talk on the phone, just shoot me.

I have one only because I have a child now and its an easier way for the daycare to get in touch with me but when I'm in the car I use the speaker phone so that I can pay attention to my driving..but yes I do find it distracting when people our driving and using one because some our all over the place or there stepping on there breaks my father is a prime example of that kind of driver...I want to throw his phone out the window when hes driving..lol

Blackthingsforsale wrote:

They did a mythbusters in which they compared the effects of driving while talking on a cell phone to driving drunk, and the results were highly similar if not the same.

lol I was gonna post the same thing.

cell phones are just a big, annoying pain in the butt.

I vote yes, because they have car accidents, and they disturb people who are trying to focus on what they're doing.

My mom uses her bluetooth so its not nearly as bad. As for cell phones being a distraction in general, I dont think so. They dont do anything for me. I turn mine off most of the time. and other people, well I ignore most people anyway. Not worth my time.

redpaint666 wrote:

I vote yes, because they have car accidents, and they disturb people who are trying to focus on what they're doing.

i vote yes and i would have said the same think redpaint 666 said

I say 100% yes. I allmost got nailed going thru an intersection when some lady ran the red light, not even slowing down, laughing, talking on the cell phone, oblivious to the fact that she ran a red light, and kept going never realizing that she ever ran that red light. if I was 1 second faster, who knows if I still would of been alive. people talking on cell phones at theathers, restraunts, other places where your trying to sit down and enjoy yourself really aggravates me.