Topic: Books Into Films : Your Opinions

Good afternoon to all,

I don't know if this sort of thread has been done, so I am sorry if it as, but I was wondering.

Recently there are been a lot of talk in Horror.ca about worst book to movie transfer and best, I was curious to ask.

Have there been any stories you have read that have yet to make it to the big screen version that you think deserves the red carpet treatment? Any story that you think would look great on the Big Screen? And if you could choose in an ideal world, who would you have direct it?

Personally >& I know it isn't complete horror but more fantasy-horror< I would still love to see Weaveworld transfered to the big screen. With the luscious backdrops in the story and the dark overtone of the entire plot I think it would be an amazing film to behold in the right hands.

Thanks for any input you can give x

big_smile

Re: Books Into Films : Your Opinions

Let's just say that I wouldn't be totally opposed to a movie of Weaveworld as long as they filmed it in the real locations. i'd quite like a job on set wink

smile I think it would need the art of someone like guillermo del toro if left in the wrong hands I'd hate to see a potentially beautiful story hacked by a useless wasteful director. Uwe Boll for example
roll  tongue

Danny Boyle should do Maria Doria Russell's The Sparrow
Hell House can afford to be remade since the original isn't a horror classic (sorry, Lonnie)
and Anne Rice's Blackwood Farm would be nice for it's bayou setting, which is soooo creeepy.

I would love to see any Bentley Little novels made into movies.

F. Paul Wilson's Repairman Jack novels would make great films, even a great HBO series.
I would also like to see something from Brian Keene, but most of all, I would love to see some adapt one of Edward Lee's books, especially City Inferal, The Backwoods or Monstrosity.

ITs so hard to get all of the essence of a book condensed down into a movie. Harry Potter's all the books are downright Brilliant...The movies are ok, just can't get ALL the good stuff packed into them.(the tapes/cd's are awesome)
The Ruins did an excellent job.
I would LOVE to see Brian Keenes work translated into film, god the nightmares we would ALL have!!

^^ thedeadshallrule I already have horrific nightmares, how much worse could a Brian Keene book make them? tongue seriously asking smile

I want to see Richard Laymon's Night in the Lonesome October made into a movie, and directed by Rob Zombie because he would be the only one brave enough to do it right.

Venomous Nightshade wrote:

Personally >& I know it isn't complete horror but more fantasy-horror< I would still love to see Weaveworld transfered to the big screen. With the luscious backdrops in the story and the dark overtone of the entire plot I think it would be an amazing film to behold in the right hands.
big_smile

I also think Weaveworld is Barker's most accomplished novel. Imagica was good, but a little too "epic" for it's own good.

I think The Damnation Game by Clive Barker would make an awesome movie. The premise is so cool. A gambling addicted inmate in prison is selected by a wealthy billionaire to serve as his bodyguard. But, this wealthy elitist has a dark past and enemies that are not of this world.

I would direct it. wink

I would love to have an artistic Fantasy director like Guillermo Del Toro or Tim Burton do a good adaptation of Neverwhere by Neil Gaiman.  I love it and the BBC mini-series just doesnt cut the mustard.  I think that it deserves a very good high budget big screen adaptation, but only if they get the right people to do it.

I'd be totally buzzing if someone did a good adaptation of "The Furies" by Keith Roberts.
I've loved this book ever since I found a copy in an abandoned house when I was 8ish. When I tried to get a new one I was told that no such book existed sad  It took me about 15 years to find it again and I was starting to think I had lost my mind hmm But I wasn't and they are all idiots tongue lol

I'd be happy to see any of Phil Rickman's books made into a film.  He writes modern day stories about ghosts and demonic possessions etc.  'A Crown of Lights' is one of my favourites of his - about a couple who are persecuted in a small village for their Wiccan beliefs, while the good up-standing vicar is getting up to all sorts of evil shenanigans. big_smile

I would like to see some of John Saul's books made into films someday.

Also, I would like to see the book Evilution by Shaun Jeffrey made into a film.

I'd love to see some of Brian Keene's, especially his zombie books on the big screen.  I have to think about a director, not sure who would do them best.

Suspiria_89 wrote:

I want to see Richard Laymon's Night in the Lonesome October made into a movie, and directed by Rob Zombie because he would be the only one brave enough to do it right.

I'd love to see any Richard Laymon book made into a movie cause correct me if i'm wrong but there hasn't been any. I think The Beast house books would make a good movie trilogy & The Stake would be good too as would the first Laymon book i read - Flesh.

The Beast House Trilogy is my favourite Laymon novel, he is uncompromising in his view, that would be one serious Mind-f*ck! To see that to the big screen would be quite an achievement but it needs to be handled right to work. It would also be utterly insane. In simple context:

The Beast House Trilogy would make Feast look like the Teletubbies! lol, god I would LOVE to see that go to the big screen!

I love The Beast House stuff. I actually have them as individual books not the all in one that you get now.

Constantce wrote:

Danny Boyle should do Maria Doria Russell's The Sparrow
Hell House can afford to be remade since the original isn't a horror classic (sorry, Lonnie)
and Anne Rice's Blackwood Farm would be nice for it's bayou setting, which is soooo creeepy.

No doubt, if you have not read the Anne Rice books they are a must read! I would love to them hit the big screen!

Thief Of Always by Clive Barker would be just yummy on film.

Thief Of Always would be great.

I wish they'd bring Barker's Coldheart Canyon to the screen - ghosts, monsters, dead celebrities, orgies and all manner of thrills.  Good stuff.

So many more, my brain hurts after just putting a few minutes of thought into this - so very rarely do adaptations carry over the depth of a novel LOL

(I'd love to see a Skipp & Spector treatment)

I would like to see more Shaun Hutson books made into films, the only one i know of or have seen is Slugs from 1987.

I do like Dan Simmons- Summer of Night . Very much like IT.. same concept - children who battle an evil force in town.. only it didnt have the lame ending .

MistressOf Horror wrote:

I do like Dan Simmons- Summer of Night . Very much like IT.. same concept - children who battle an evil force in town.. only it didnt have the lame ending .

There's another like that called "City of Tomorrow" (I can't think of the author right now though) which came out in the 70s. It would rock! It's like a children's version of Dean Koontz's "Lighning" (so it's unlike the Dan Simmons novel there I grant you) which would also make a great film.

Others I would like to see are just about every James Herbert book being made into a film (The Rats, Fluke and Haunted just weren't good enough).

And I think "The Scarecrows" by Robert Westall could be a shit-yer-pants scary horror movie too.

DrBlood wrote:

I think "The Scarecrows" by Robert Westall could be a shit-yer-pants scary horror movie too.

Scarecrows are scary things !!  someone  needs  to work that angle !  wink  I think the world needs a really great scarecrow movie..  some have come close.. but not many.