Topic: Tom Savini’s Special Make-Up Effects Program

Make your nightmares a reality. Bring your art to life. Take your imagination where it’s never gone before. Join the hundreds of students from all over the country who have embarked on the journey that is… Tom Savini’s Special Make-Up Effects Program.

Classes start February 5th, 2009

June and October semester starts are also available.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZuYvy2Tn … r_embedded[/youtube]

Douglas Education Center
130 Seventh Street    Monessen, PA 15062    1.800.413.6013

Re: Tom Savini’s Special Make-Up Effects Program

I ALWAYS see this ad in Fangoria.  I'm always interested too.  While I'm more interested in writing/directing, I think this would be a great program, regardless.

^ Same here, I would rather act or direct but the special effects program gets my attention.

I'm a writer and would love to be a director, but I'd love to just gross out an audience by being THAT guy.

^
^
^
I'm with you all, I would much rather be behind the camera, but this looks so terrific. I too always see the Fangoria ads, and it wouldn't be too bad to have experience in the FX department as well. Thank good, REAL special effects are still alive, damn CGI...

Actually my buddy whose a director/actor Brian Paulin who directed Misty Mundae in Mummy Raider and then his own films with Morbid Vision Films studied under Tom Savini and Dick Smith up north at their school back in the 90's. He made the films At Dawn They Sleep, Bone Sickness(which you can find on dvd from Unearthed Films), and the new one which should be out called Fetus(which I am associate producer on and you can see my name in the credits and I sent Loud on here a screener to review) and it should be on dvd shortly I swear lol. Brian had his house robbed and they stole alot of shit including his video equipments and camera so alot had to be filmed over again which is why it took so long.

I graduated from an FX makeup school, Complections International in Toronto. And I know a bunch of people that went to Savini's school and one guy who taught there for a while. So as you can imagine I have heard mixed reviews.

I would like to put forth a word of caution to any one looking to forge a career in FX makeup. Be careful. I'll explain TWO things that I wished someone had told me.

1. The simple truth is not every movie needs FX work and with the number of aspiring artists that these schools are turning out I feel that alot of them will be very dissapointed that they will have a hard time making a living solely off FX work. I graduated almost 10 years ago and almost ALL my pay checks come from doing "staight makeup gigs" So if you want to have a career in FX make sure your great at natural makeup. Every single movie needs that.

2.Unions. I wish someone had told me that if I actually wanted to make a comfortable and consistant income I would need to be in the union. I have worked literally hundreds of free or deferred (which I think is latin for sucker) projects and lots of indie and low budgets that didnt pay me what i was worth. Then I wised up and went union. And after words i had insurance, a guaranteed pay rate, and consistant work. It was incrediably hard to get in but completely worth it.

In other words its a tough field with a high burn out rate. I dont know of anyone from my class thats still in the industry besides me. It is possible, but be prepared for a challenge.

Hey,  No need to bash the indies.... you have to get practical experience somewhere!

No bashing intended HoP, and I agree they are great experience. But I left school with the misconception that I could make a living off of them. Which is my own damn fault but i feel that i was misled.

hey, no problem... I left school thinking I was going to be doing ads for Nike, lol.

Wasn't it great to be so naive?!

Agreed HoP! I thought I had it all figured out straight out of school. What school did you go to? BTW I checked out the site for your flick, how soon are you hoping to shoot the feature?

I went to Centennial college for business and marketing..... now I'm doing sales and making movies, lol

A feature for HOP is always in the "works" so to speak. Right now I'm doing a prequel to that called "body trade". It's being done as a web series to drum up interest for the feature. So it could be another year or two still.... but I will make it, even if I'm 90! smile

k

Last edited by sfxxx (2012-06-29 16:37:30)

Leave the sfx to the "VETERANS"

I hate cgi

I haven't seen any real sfx in movies for ages it seems... me misses it so get and keep those "VETERANS" fuckin busy

This makes me ask the question...do you guys think practical sfx are making a bit of a come back these days? Most horror fans would agree (I think) that they prefer practical stuff over cgi most of the time, win the exception of some circumstances. Im seeing a lot more movies, even if its mostly independent stuff, coming out and boasting practical sfx nowadays.

What do you guys think?