Topic: Snakes on a Plane a Bunch of Hype?

Read the article, decide for yourself, share your thoughts. Me this movie is nothing but a bunch of studio hype. Why else would you make sure NObODY see's your movie before it hits?

http://www.horror-movies.ca/horror_6325.html

Re: Snakes on a Plane a Bunch of Hype?

I gotta agree with Meh, that is pretty ridiculous.  But then again I think people judge this film way to quickly by the fact that the title is indeed called "Snakes on a Plane"

Last edited by TiM the Zombie (2006-08-17 11:33:38)

Snakes are only mildly scary at best ( I used to own a Columbian Red Tail Boa) and this movie doesn't interest me at all.  I may watch it if it shows on HBO, but I won't spend any money on it.  Still, Jackson is motherf'n cool!

Jackson is a bad ass but thsi movie is just far to lame for my likingg. My feeling is some interns made good use of the blogging hub bub to promote this film and build some mad buzz.

For the general population, it is a perfect film, not as far as content but:

One of the best known actors in the world starring.
Dozens of ads on posters, TV, radio months before release.
An action thriller, from the ads I've seen on TV they make it seem like Lucky Number Slevin with snakes.
Word of mouth from the interns (as ya said M).

The obvious signal of bad news is no early screenings for press. But you never know, it could be alright.

I predict opening night it does quite well and then it drops off the scene almost immediately.

I wrote the article partially a while back, when I first heard about the movie, and no amount of hype has changed my mind. Snakes aren't frightening. Sure they hurt. Sure they can kill you. Maybe I have seen too many Crocodile Hunter shows where Steve Irwin grabs one by the arse and swings it around with out coming to harm, but I don't have the least bit of fear for them.

Good god most snakes are more scared of you than you are of them. They only strike when forced to, usually they just run. I have heard that there is an exception to this rule, but that snake doesn't live where I do, so I really don't care.

So the idea of a terrorist putting snakes on a plane to take out a specific person, is laughable. I mean at best, he would win the Most Retarded Terrorist Attack EVAH award.

how is being trapped miles up in the air, in a compacted airplane where you surely cant jump out, filled with deadly poisonous snakes not horrifying?  Also, if you notice in the trailer there is no pilot, obviously he died.  I think that's pretty scary and I'm anxious to see what the outcome of it all will be.

Yea I'm completely behind the movie.. I'm sick and tired of all these movies that take themselves to seriously. Thats what most of you guys are doing with this film.. Just sit back and watch the damn movie.. Its obviously not going to win any awards and they KNOW this.. They just wanted to make a fun little popcorn flick with Samuel L. fuckin Jackson..

I couldnt have put it any better Goon...i agree completely

Check this out.
You can have Samuel L Jackson call and yell at your friends
(totally free)

http://snakesonaplane.varitalk.com/

I just got a couple of friends and both of my brothers. lol they were crackin up

I agree with Goon, going to see it tomarrow with a group of freinds.
I am going for some good ole movie fun and hey Samuel L. $%%#@! Jackson...he's baaaaad!!

Well I've been looking around and its getting alot of positive reviews.. Even Joel Siegel liked the movie, now thats something to write home about.. User reviews on RT.com is at 95% fresh and the critics is at 64% fresh.. I gotta say.. I think I was right..

When i do see this movie i don't expect it to be necessarily good, but i do expect it to be entertaining. This is not the kind of movie you go to see for an in-depth and interesting plot. This is the kind of movie you go to see for pointless explosions and gratuitous amounts of vulgar language(Lets face it, Samuel L.Jackson is just so good at cursing).

Heh.. yea that was point exactly. They know they aren't gonna win any awards.. Its just a fun end of the summer movie..

Something I need...

your going to like snakes on a plane:)
Leon, Goon, Tim the Zombie:) you all have the right attitude for this movie.
I had a great time, went with a group of 11 people, (one a guy who actually breeds rare snakes).
I liked it, good end of summer movie, not so much horror genre  more action/disaster type. The camera likes the IN YOUR FACE approach and not just with snakes..lol  and thats all I am saying here, I will give it a review in the review section soon. But hey....yeah...get some popcorn and go enjoy it...It's SNAKES ON A PLANE!!!!!!!

I encourage anyone who sees this movie to contribute a review. For those new, you can review any film on our site. Lookup the movie, then click "write a review". Here is  a link to SNAKES smile You are always welcome to contribute as much as you like to this site to help readers make WISE movie decisions.

http://www.horror-movies.ca/horror-movie.php?id=930

Yea I just saw it last night. Its actually not as cheesy as I thought it was going to be. I mean of course it has its moments and some cliches but other than that it was pretty straightforward. Something that was very evident to me anyway was that it was a David R. Ellis movie.

It was kind of like Final Destination 2 on a plane and all the deaths were by Snakes. (Ellis directed FD2) All the bites were either really funny or just plain kick ass. I picked out several of my favorite actressess as well. After I saw 2001 Maniacs I really thought Lin Shaye was great. She had a really good role in this movie. My number one screen hottie Crystal Lowe was in the movie as well. VERY small part but you can't miss her.

I think I also have a new favorite action hero.. Kenan Thompson! He really did a good job with that character. Of course Samuel L. Jackson made the entire movie though. He has so many great one liners and scenes that no one else but him could pull off.

Urgh, still havent gotten to see it yet...i will soon

Meh wrote:

I predict opening night it does quite well and then it drops off the scene almost immediately.

ALL hail MEH.....oh oh the movie only made like 15 mil and it took 30 million to make..yikes, but it could get a great cult following, everyone I talked to at the movies said they would buy the dvd. In  hindsight I should have brought at LEAST one rubber snake with me to the movie!!!! At least some gummy worms..lol

we still dont have a review yet on site folks so somebody throw one up. And deadshallrule unfortunately with reviews it has to be more then 3 sentences or yours would have been the first smile

Yea it didn't open to as much as I thought it would.. I was tracking it all this weekend and it looked like it was going to hit at least 20 mil at one point. They were only expecting to make in the lower $20 mil opening weekend.. New Line still expects to turn a profit because they almost had no money put into marketing due to all the internet hype..

Something I didn't see coming was all the people sick of the hype.. Also the R rating didn't help with getting people in theatre to see it.. But with DVD sales and hopefully it will get some legs at the box office it will definetly turn a profit. Its a good movie and not really as cheesy as it is being made out to be..

Still havent seen it...arg!  Would any of you say its worth a buy when it hits the stores?

no reviews on site yet, but once we get some we can make a judgement. MO has its first review ( link is above ).