Topic: Xbox360 Three Red Rings of Terror

Earlier today I reviewed Dead Rising for the XBox360. I intend to review alot of Xbox360 horror titles. But my biggest horror so far was my brand new Xbox360 on its 3rd time being turned on showing me 3 red rings... and doing little else. I turned it...

Read More : Xbox360 Three Red Rings of Terror

Re: Xbox360 Three Red Rings of Terror

Did you get the 3 red rings or the 4 red rings?  If it was 4 rings, then it simply cannot detect your AV cable...if it was the 3 ringht then yeah thats a "general hardware failure".

I got my 360 Elite 9 months ago and never had any issues with mine.  Its weird that you got it on a brand new one cause they fixed a lot of the new ones these days and have a much better rate against the red rings these days.  Unfortunately your problem has to be fixed by microsoft and cant be returned to stores.

I bought mine for xmas 2 yrs ago and also have dead rising, i have had no problems, my xbox is lying on its side as opposed to standing up

jmh i bought a 3 year no questions asked store replacement plan. I know all to well how factory warranties work and wasnt going to use it. and yeah its 3 lights which is heat sink failure. it blows.

I've had a couple actually go out on me, but have only had to pay for one x-box.  The warranty policy is pretty good (apart from it only lasting one year)  and instead of actually trying to repair mine they just sent me a new one.  So far so good.  It does suck, but you did the right thing in getting the 3 year replacement plan

I wish I'd done that. Because it's been almost a year, and I have a bad feeling about mine. But I've never had a problem yet, so maybe I'll be lucky.

3 lights doesnt mean just heat problems, lots of different hardware issues with the 3 lights.  They linked some issues with static from people putting it on carpet and having static shock fry the inside.

I have a 20GB  360 for 2.5 years, NO problems, I also bought an Elite when it came out for HDMI, . . NO problems.
Out of 12 friends, I have had 2 with issues, MS fixed them and they have been fine, so far.

I also have a PS3 and a WIi, . . the PS3 has already been back to Sony, and it is freezing again. Since I play my 360 98% of the time and hardly use the PS3, that's not a good sign that it would go south so fast.
I am an adult and take VERY good care of my gear, . . my point being, ALL electronic gear is subject to problems. . . If your 360 broke down, it's not a new one, . . .  and even if it is, MS gives you a 3 year warranty and they will take care of it. . It cost me almost $140.00 for Sony to fix my PS3.
It took Sony YEARS to acknowledge battery issues with their laptops, what would make you think that they would admit fault with the PS3 in a timely fashion.........I'll stick with my 360's.

I've had the Elite version since last July with no problems.

My wife bought me an XBOX 360 Arcade for Christmas last year. It worked fine until about Feb/March-ish as I'd only been playing two games - ROCK BAND (which she bought me with the XBOX), and DEAD RISING. That was when I got something called the "Open Tray" Error. Basically, you put it  a game and it doesn't know it's there, displaying "Open Tray" on the Dashboard.

Microsoft took care of it, sent me a box, etc. They ended up sending me a new system.

When we hit May or so, the same error occurred again. This time they had me send back the system and the power brick. Once again, I got a brand-new system.

Ironically, just this week I've gotten the "Open Tray" error again (twice), but it went away after re-inserting the disc.

Fingers crossed that it was just a fluke. I've become quite fond of CALL OF DUTY 4, TONY HAWK: PROJECT UNDERGROUND. I plan on getting ROCK BAND 2 on the 14th, and after dropping some cash for a hard drive and paying for an XBOX Live membership every month, the thought of being without a system again for another 3-5 weeks pisses me off.

Last edited by JamesZahn (2008-09-09 09:03:41)

I have the Halo 3 XBOX 360 since last october and I have had it standing straight up and and laying on it's side with no problems ever.

There was an article about this today on yahoo about Microsoft shipping xbox's to quickly knowing they were defective.  http://www.yahoo.com/s/950346

yeah venture beat did a VERY detailed article about it. any way you cut it it sucks to have a brand new xbox go blingo

^That it does.  However, at least they recognize the issue and have taken masures like extend the warranty on them and such.  However it does suck to get a new one that get this problem right off the bat.  Which one did you get?  The Arcade, the Pro, or the Elite?  Most the issues I have seen seem to happen to the Pro more than any other model.

I have owned the 20 gig version for over 2 years and not having one single problem. Probably the reason being why i haven't had any problems with mine is for the fact that i picked up the Intercooler for it and before i plugged in the system, i hooked up the Intercooler to the back of the 360. It only cost $30. The only way you won't get that 3 red ring of terror is if you pick up the Intercooler. So if you don't want the 3 red ring of terror to happen, pick this up. Basically, you need this intercooler for your system period. The reason being is so that your system won't overheat at all. That's the main reason why you get the 3 red ring of terror. I provided you with the link fo the same exact intercooler that i have and haven't had one single problem go wrong with my system and i highly recommend this to all 360 owners:

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp … 9040700241

I'd be careful with the cooling units.  I was going to buy one at Gamestop when they had a massive sale on them, and they told me not to.  Apparently they said they dont work as they actuallly further obstruct airflow and were causing additional overheating issues.  They said they had a lot of people get their machines fried from buying those.....so i opted against it.

O.k. I'm responding to this older thread now because of the horrendous customer service we experienced over the holidays when our XBOX360 crashed for the second time. The first time it crashed, a year and a half ago, it was easy, they sent all the materials and replaced it, no muss no fuss.

The second time, however, was a joke. They told us they would email us the shipping label, but hours later, there was no email. We called 3 times and spoke to 3 different morons and a manager and 3 days later we finally we got the email and sent it off.

The people at the call center who handle these issues for Microsoft don't communicate with each other, and basically lie to you to get you off the phone. Email is also apparently too complicated for them.

Awful.