Topic: The best book you've Never heard of...

You see them at the bookstore, garage sales, the drugstore, and even the supermarket, paperback horror novels by authors you've never heard of.  I've picked up a few on vacation for beach reading, and some have turned out to be awesome. 

The best one I've found is called Fear Book by John L. Byrne.  It's a book about a book that houses a reader's worst fears. 

What's your favorite obscure horror book?

Re: The best book you've Never heard of...

You got me on this one sis.;)

Well, I'm reading a great "horror" book right now. It's more like a historical-fiction horror novel. It's about the Franklin expedition that searched for the Northwest Passage (who all ended up abandoning ship and eating each other and then freezing to death) but it has alot of fictionalized elements in it, murder and a creature stalking on the ice killing me, etc... great  creepy book, but long read. It's called "The Terror" by Dan Simmons

Interesting!  Zomboy, you can't be adopted by surv & maven because you've already been adopted by me!

I have Fear Book!  I don't remember reading it, but I bought 'cause it was by comic creator John Byrne, of Superman, She-Hulk and X-Men fame.

If i never heard of the book, how would i know its the best?

Well alot of years ago I picked up a book that I'd never heard of before called "I Am Legend"  Everyone has heard of it now, haha.  it is to this day one of my fav's.  But here's a real one for ya by a female Canadian writer named Kirsten Bakis, the book is called "Lives of the Monster Dogs".  It's not horror but it's one of the coolest books I've ever read.  I saw the cover of the book and just had to read it.

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/51HWgF8kdaL._SL500_AA240_.jpg

http://www.amazon.ca/Lives-Monster-Dogs … amp;sr=8-5

That cover is awesomely bad!  I can see why you'd want to read that. 

Mirthy - I didn't even know it was by a comic creator!  Wierd.....  I don't even remember where I got it.  Maybe it just...  appeared....

and Surv - stick a sock in it tongue

Constantce wrote:

That cover is awesomely bad!  I can see why you'd want to read that.

ya it's pretty cool.  It's "in a world" where dogs have been genetically enhanced to fight wars instead of humans.  The dogs can walk upright and they are even enhanced with a voice box so they can speak.  it's a pretty crazy concept but I tore thru the book which always means it's a good read.  I must pull it out again and give it another read.

Ok one of the cooler books i found and liked that i never heard of before then was Blood Price by Tanya Huff.

another i really liked and just thought of looking for again is "Robots have no tails"  by Henry Kuttner, it was a amusing story i read a long time ago after finding it in a used book store.

Constantce wrote:

Interesting!  Zomboy, you can't be adopted by surv & maven because you've already been adopted by me!

Haha, I just found this  big_smile

Perhaps you guys should fight for my affections, I'm thinking deathmatch tongue

^ You are rather cruel for an adopted son.  But that's okay because this is a horror site.

The Brain Eaters by Howling author Gary Brandner. Its an excellent book. Read it if you can find it. Its long out of print.

Another really rare one that gave me nightmares when I was younger is The Devil In Connecticut. Based on a true story, and absolutely horrific.

I picked up a book called Stonemasters at a convention.  I'm not really big on vampires but I really enjoyed the book.  I've loaned it out to several friends and they all loved it as well.

http://stonemasters.novel.googlepages.com/stonemasters2

Stonemasters looks amazing, thanks for the info and the link.  I'm always looking for a new book.

Another great vampire book is Midnight Mass by F. Paul Wilson. Nothing gothic or romantic about it. Just really violent and vicious vampires.

violence is always good:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D

I bought Jigsaw Man by Gord Rollo just because I saw it in the store and always thought it looked cool.  Turned out to be a very enjoyable read.

Also, seeing as I love Neil Gaiman's Neverwhere a friend kept telling me to read The Wind-Up Bird Chronicles by Haruki Murakami.  Never read any Japanese authors before but loved the book.  Not quite the same as Neverwhere but still a great read that at the time I had never heard of.

House of Leaves by Mark Z. Danielewski

House of Leaves is crazy shit! I found out about it on accident from Poe's album 'Haunted.'

House of Leaves is excellent.  I was working in a bookstore when it got pushed by the publisher, and it seemed like a gimmicky idea.  However, on other sites I frequent it started getting talked up so I gave it a look.  I do not regret it.

I'm also fond of in and down, by Brett Alexander Savory.  It is a surreal psychological horror novel, which was a bit of surprise as his previous novel, The Distance Traveled, is an action novel set in hell.  Both are good, but in and down was far more unsettling and horrific.

The blood ties series by jennifer armintrout. killer series just straight up killer

ok there are a few for me. I bought a book at a used book store called "Book of the Dead" by John Tigges.
http://i177.photobucket.com/albums/w238/deathgate666/n32281.jpg
thats one i bought for the cover and for the title, and it turned out to be pretty fucking good.

i have one other, and iv mentioned it several times before, the book that gave me my online name deathgate666... its called "Dragon Wing" the first in a seven book series called the death gate cycle. very entertaining collection of fantasy novels.

i have another i want to add. its not horror, but its one of the best books iv ever read. its called The Alchemist, and it is the ONLY book that has ever been able to bring tears to my eyes, its that powerful. its a short book, only about 150-200 pages long, i read it in one sitting. i started about 10 that night, and stayed up till about 6 the next day. as soon as i got done reading it the first time, i just started over, it was that good.
http://i177.photobucket.com/albums/w238/deathgate666/the_alchemist.png