Topic: Gindhouse Broken Up Out of USA

While doing my morning rounds I came upon some interesting information.  The folks over at Dread Central found some news from the US magizine Variety that the Tarantino/Rodriquez teamup Grindhouse would be split outside of the US in some non-Eng...

Read More : Gindhouse Broken Up Out of USA

Re: Gindhouse Broken Up Out of USA

strange isnt it?

That is a shame.  Isn't that the whole point of these two films?  To be double billed like that of the old grindhouse days?  If you seperate them, you are practically taking away the experience.  At least the US still gets to see these films the way they were meant to be shown.  "Only, at the grindhouse".  I can't wait.

Aye tis a shame.  But, it can work I guess in their favor as a kinda TALES FROM THE CRYPT, Demon Knight & Bordello of Blood under that title but two unrelated films.  Also Variety says the combined budget was $53 million, so maybe with them split they might make a bit more cash that way.  But I don't think anyone would turn down 2 movies for the price of 1, espically by Tarantino and Rodriquez.

As long as its kept as 1 in the USA, I'll be happy.  And can't wait.

That is strange to seperate them like that, but it looks like they will get a little bonus too with added footage.
I'm glad we're still getting it as one movie!

Definatly, extra footage will come with the DVD.  And I hope that is filled with special features.

The DVD is something that I cannot wait to see.

what about the uk? it better be back to back god dammit

Hopefully it is.  Nobody should miss out on this upcoming experience.

Well Variety says the project was presold in the UK along with Australia/New Zealand, Germany, Spain, Thailand, Italy & France so maybe that means that the films will be back to back, at least in the UK and Australia/NZ.

Last edited by thegoldensimatar (2007-02-18 16:59:11)

The "reasoning" behind this is that no countries outside of the U.S. really have any concept of what a Grindhouse is.. Well the general public anyway.. But I think the real reason is that the Weinsteins want to recoop there losses here in the U.S. in foreign countries by splitting them in two..

Maybe this would be a good time to introduce them to the grindhouse experience.  Once again, the Weinsteins dissapoint.

Aye.  And I have to agree with Goon a little on this.  Grindhouse no doubt will be a hit with their fans and horror fans, but with mainstream I dunno.  I know folks who still refuse to see the LOTR because each film is about 3 hours.  Even with a promise of 2 movies, some folks either don't wanna sit in for that long or I bet try and only pay half just for one film. 

The Weinsteins I give them credit for taking a $50 million dollar gamble...but no doubt in my mind Grindhouse will be flying off the DVD shelves when it hits.

I just emailed cineworld ( a multiplex in uk) and they said that its gunna be shown as back to back which is great news for uk fans but they said that we won't be getting it till autumn at the earliest which is a cunt . I will prob be able to get the r1 dvd by then

I hope they don't split it up here in Mexico, although it's EXTREMELY possible considering the fact that they would be getting twice as money from the same film.

TiM the Zombie wrote:

Maybe this would be a good time to introduce them to the grindhouse experience.  Once again, the Weinsteins dissapoint.

Well they aren't dissappointing me... The draw of the film for some people is supposed to be somewhat nostalgic.. So overseas and in foreign territories they won't grasp the concept.. You can't really just introduce this kind of thing to people if this will be the one and only time it will ever happen..

My only concern is that they will break up the movies when it comes time for a DVD release.. Then they will be dissapointing.. Not to mention the only place you will be able to rent it is Blockbuster..

I haven't thought of that Goon, breaking them up for DVD.

Maybe for like a 3 or 4 disc edition they have them back to back with the extra footage back in, the faux trailers too just like in the theater but then they have on another disc the two movies seperate.  Then of course you have the special feature on the last one or two discs.  If that was the case...I wouldn't have a problem...but if they end up as two seperate items....I will be mad as hell.

And Blockbuster, yeah thats a thorn in side.

It's hard to say if this is the last time something like this will happen.  What if "Grindhouse" pulls in HUGE at the box office?  Usually, when a film succeeds, greatly, they want to jump on it and produce sequel after sequel.  I think we can all say that "Grindhouse" will be a huge success.  Even for those non-horror lovers.  So, I imagine, that this wont be the last time something like this happens.

I really hope the DVD isn't split up.  It's still something I'm looking forward to reading about.

If the movies is a huge economical success then probably we'll get the split up DVD so the guys in suits can cash in. I think the best way would be each part in a different DVD with it's own extra features and a third DVD for the trailers. Probably add a fourth DVD for the theatrical release.

If Grindhouse pays off, I hope that they don't jump into a 2nd right off.  Wait a few years so that when it comes, it'll be a big event like this one.  Would love to see Rob Zombie do Werewolf Women of the SS.  I would also love to see Machete as a full movie smile

For a DVD I can imagine there will be a bare bones disc with a short EPK of how good it was to work on the film like Sin City then a few months down the road they release the meatier version.

My DVD want list for Grindhouse Special Edition:

Disc 1:  Planet Terror & Death Proof back to back with faux trailers & deleted footage inserted back in, plus Tarantino/Rodriquez commentary & faux trailers in their own seperate menu

Disc 2: Planet Terror & Death Proof with footage back in but without faux trailers and as two seperate movies.  Commentary by each seperate director on their movie and some cast members

Disc 3: In depth documentaries on Grindhouse films, the history of the Grindhouse, and making of this one. 

Disc 4: Only if there is too much to put on Disc 3

Last edited by thegoldensimatar (2007-02-21 10:16:12)

I agree with Goon on the nostalgic aspect of Grindhouse. It's to bring back the feeling of the times when those exploitation films were being shown in old movie theaters.
Alot of times at midnight all night showings.
I hope its not split on the DVD and shown the way it is meant to be shown.

Yeah, they should just have one fatty DVD.  That would be awesome.