Topic: A book recommendation for Parents

So I know we have a lot of parents out there that are big horror fans and this thread is for them.  If you have a child and they are into reading, have them read The Graveyard Book by Neil Gaiman.   I'd say the best reading age would probably be about 10 years old and up.   And actually it's a book I think parents could read and enjoy when your kid is done with it, or even for people without kids looking for a fun book witha slight horror theme. 

I read The Graveyard Book recently and could not put it down.  It's a modern version of The Jungle Book.  The main character is Nobody Owens, a boy who's parents are murdered when he was very young and he was raised by the ghost inhabitants of a Graveyard.  Bod has all sorts of strange adventures in the graveyard but the real problem is The Man Jack, the killer who killed his parents who may be waiting for him if he were to leave the graveyard. 

It's really an engrossing tale and a great spin on The Jungle Book.  Each chapter takes place a year or more after the last one ended so we can see Bod over the years as he grows up.  Highly recommended for parents and their children alike.  It's 300+ pages but well worth it, especially when thats pretty short in comparison to Harry Potter and other youth novels.  Highly recommended

Last edited by jmh314 (2009-01-10 17:53:34)

Re: A book recommendation for Parents

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2062/2134689602_6ec353482c.jpg?v=0

jmh314 wrote:

So I know we have a lot of parents out there that are big horror fans and this thread is for them.  If you have a child and they are into reading, have them read The Graveyard Book by Neil Gaiman.   I'd say the best reading age would probably be about 10 years old and up.   And actually it's a book I think parents could read and enjoy when your kid is done with it, or even for people without kids looking for a fun book witha slight horror theme. 

I read The Graveyard Book recently and could not put it down.  It's a modern version of The Jungle Book.  The main character is Nobody Owens, a boy who's parents are murdered when he was very young and he was raised by the ghost inhabitants of a Graveyard.  Bod has all sorts of strange adventures in the graveyard but the real problem is The Man Jack, the killer who killed his parents who may be waiting for him if he were to leave the graveyard. 

It's really an engrossing tale and a great spin on The Jungle Book.  Each chapter takes place a year or more after the last one ended so we can see Bod over the years as he grows up.  Highly recommended for parents and their children alike.  It's 300+ pages but well worth it, especially when thats pretty short in comparison to Harry Potter and other youth novels.  Highly recommended

I'm not a parent but I almost bought this book yesterday when I was out shopping.  I had to leave it because the only version they had didn't match the covers of my other Neil Gaiman books and it would have annoyed me too much.  I know, that's freakish behaviour, I know!  lol

No kids for me yet tongue

But I read that this was a good one, and Gaiman is great