Re: What's the last book you read or bought?

Used some Christmas gift cards to get some books yesterday. 

Got Clive Barker's Books of Blood 1-3.  I've never read any Clive books before so I felt its time to give him a chance. 

I also got Swan Song by Robert McCammon.  I;ve read it before and love it but dont own it.  Plus its been a while since i read it so i picked it up.

And finally I got American Gods by Neil Gaiman.  He's an author I love but I have yet to read American Gods.

Re: What's the last book you read or bought?

jmh314 wrote:

Used some Christmas gift cards to get some books yesterday. 

Got Clive Barker's Books of Blood 1-3.  I've never read any Clive books before so I felt its time to give him a chance. 

I also got Swan Song by Robert McCammon.  I;ve read it before and love it but dont own it.  Plus its been a while since i read it so i picked it up.

And finally I got American Gods by Neil Gaiman.  He's an author I love but I have yet to read American Gods.

Barker is great, if you want to read some of his best work, look for Imajica, Great and secret show, and Cabal those were among my favorites.

i really enjoyed Swan song but had some serious problems with it too, when your done with it let me know, i want to get your take on it.

i want to read American Gods too, i just keep forgetting to buy it lol.  but im a big fan of his work especially Neverwhere.



currently reading City of the Dead by Brian Keene.

Re: What's the last book you read or bought?

I'm partial to Weaveworld myself with Barker, but the ones you mentioned were really good as well, Surv.

Swan Song is something I really enjoyed.  I have more problems with The Stand than I do that.

Re: What's the last book you read or bought?

I love Cabal!!!!!

Re: What's the last book you read or bought?

survivalist wrote:

i want to read American Gods too, i just keep forgetting to buy it lol.  but im a big fan of his work especially Neverwhere.

American Gods is a great book, even better than Neverwhere.  It keeps you guessing with which characters are actually good and which are bad and there are a couple really moving scenes that take you by surprise too.  Order it now!!  lol

thedeadshallrule wrote:
jackalqueen wrote:

I just ordered Heart-Shaped Box by Joe Hill

You'll like it wink

I did!!  Finished it this morning and I really enjoyed it.  It might make me think twice about buying silly things on the internet...but probably not.  lol

Last edited by jackalqueen (2009-01-11 17:18:12)

Re: What's the last book you read or bought?

I just finished Dean Koontz's The Darkest Evening Of The Year. Not bad. Anyone who loves dogs would really like this book.

Re: What's the last book you read or bought?

Dean Koontz never lets anyone down!!!!

Re: What's the last book you read or bought?

Just got done reading Let the Right One In. What a waste of time. I'm not sure why the author thought a book about a vampire girl(who is really a boy) who lives with a child molester would make a good story. I hope the movie is better.

Re: What's the last book you read or bought?

Suspiria_89 wrote:

Just got done reading Let the Right One In. What a waste of time. I'm not sure why the author thought a book about a vampire girl(who is really a boy) who lives with a child molester would make a good story. I hope the movie is better.

I'd say that if you didn't like the book, you probably won't like the film.  I really liked the film but thought the book was much better - more back story and much gorier.  Having said that, the film doesn't have any of the paedophile aspect in it, even though it features quite heavily in the book, so if that's what put you off the story, you might still like the film.  I'd definitely recommend watching it.   smile

60

Re: What's the last book you read or bought?

I just bought 1 cool ass book on amazon:

Horror Films of the 1980's by John Kenneth Muir(the book is 843 pages long and hardback and cost $47.00):cool:

Re: What's the last book you read or bought?

jackalqueen wrote:
Suspiria_89 wrote:

Just got done reading Let the Right One In. What a waste of time. I'm not sure why the author thought a book about a vampire girl(who is really a boy) who lives with a child molester would make a good story. I hope the movie is better.

I'd say that if you didn't like the book, you probably won't like the film.  I really liked the film but thought the book was much better - more back story and much gorier.  Having said that, the film doesn't have any of the paedophile aspect in it, even though it features quite heavily in the book, so if that's what put you off the story, you might still like the film.  I'd definitely recommend watching it.   smile

The paedophile stuff is the reason I hated the book so much. So I might like the movie.

Re: What's the last book you read or bought?

Suspiria_89 wrote:
jackalqueen wrote:
Suspiria_89 wrote:

Just got done reading Let the Right One In. What a waste of time. I'm not sure why the author thought a book about a vampire girl(who is really a boy) who lives with a child molester would make a good story. I hope the movie is better.

I'd say that if you didn't like the book, you probably won't like the film.  I really liked the film but thought the book was much better - more back story and much gorier.  Having said that, the film doesn't have any of the paedophile aspect in it, even though it features quite heavily in the book, so if that's what put you off the story, you might still like the film.  I'd definitely recommend watching it.   smile

The paedophile stuff is the reason I hated the book so much. So I might like the movie.

You probably will because the film is mainly about Eli & Oskar's relationship, it doesn't even go into the castration part of the story, much less any of the things that Hakkan does.  smile

I just finished 'Living With The Dead' by Kelley Armstrong.  It's about a girl who suddenly finds out things like vampires, werewolves, ghosts etc are all real when she gets caught up in the middle of a turf war and is framed for murder.  It was OK but nothing new - it could have been from an episode of Buffy or Angel.

Re: What's the last book you read or bought?

Christopher Fowler - Darkest Day.

Re: What's the last book you read or bought?

Gardenofstone10 wrote:

Dean Koontz never lets anyone down!!!!

Now that I've stopped laughing from that comment.:D

I'm reading Infernal Angel by Edward Lee

Re: What's the last book you read or bought?

Right now I'm reading Reborn, F. Paul Wilson's sequel to The Keep. I also just bought Brian Keene's new book Castaways.

66

Re: What's the last book you read or bought?

I bought 1 book yesterday on amazon:

Horror Films of the 1970's by John Kenneth Muir(it was $45 and is about 700 pages long) I have his other book which was about 900 pages long called Horror Films of the 1980's.:cool:

Re: What's the last book you read or bought?

I just bought:

The Killer Book of True Crime By Tom Philbin and Michael Philbin
The Heroin Diaries: A Year in the life of A Shattered Rockstar By Nikki Sixx
and Grave Sight By Charlaine Harris big_smile

Re: What's the last book you read or bought?

I am reading Brian Keene's Ghost Walk

Re: What's the last book you read or bought?

I just finished reading 20th Century Ghosts by Joe Hill and was quite disappointed overall.  I preferred Heart-Shaped Box because this one is a collection of short stories and I didn't like all of them.  A few of them I really enjoyed, others were forgettable and some I couldn't get into because I failed in my struggle to suspend my disbelief.  hmm

Re: What's the last book you read or bought?

last bought- Fullmetal Alchemist volume 17 manga comic

reading Dragon Wing, the first book in the Death Gate Cycle series (my favorite series of books by the way and hence my name)

Re: What's the last book you read or bought?

I'm reading Triage.  It has Edward Lee, Jack Ketchum, and Richard Laymon each writing a short story that begins with the same idea, but shows how each one takes it in their own direction.  It is actually pretty interesting to read.

Re: What's the last book you read or bought?

two-thirds of the way through Nightmare USA: The Untold Story of the Exploitation Independents.
great read.

Re: What's the last book you read or bought?

Just finished Brian Keene's Castaways. Very good book. Up next, Red Sea by E.A. Benedek. Its a terrorist thriller. My tiny bookstore had no good horror that I hadn't already read.

Re: What's the last book you read or bought?

The last book I bought was Ghost Walk by Brian Keene.
Big fan of his novels.

75

Re: What's the last book you read or bought?

Triage- Laymon,Ketchum, and Lee
the book has it own opening structure for each piece,the authors then take it in there own direction, i especially liked  Laymon's